Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My life and my relationship

Hiya my name is Verity.
    I've had emetophobia for years but it's mainly based around lack of control... I hate ANYTHING that happens that isn't whithin my control. My dad is exactly the same, I don't know why we are like it but I wish I wasn't. I want to be able to loose control and enjoy it. I've had hypnotherapy which failed to work, I want to try pure hypnoanalysis as this is meant to get to the root of your problem. I have an amazing boyfriend called Andy who is a miracle to be honest. He knows everything, puts up with all my OCD ways, helps me out, takes me everywhere i want to go and loves me to bits. I don't know what I ever did to deserve him but sometimes I just feel like crying because I cant do the things a normal girlfriend would like go away on holiday with him, go out for a meal. I hate it. I get so depressed thinking about what I COULD do if i didn't have all these anxiety issues. I've been on prozac for months now and it helps me carry on but doesn't really get rid of the anxiety. Any slight thing I get wrong with me I worry.. for instance the last week i've had a headache. This is causing me to obsess and worry that there is something wrong with me because it won't go away, I worry If i get stomach ache, ANYTHING that's abnormal. I hate being the way i am - a OCDing, emetophobic hypochondriac. I'm only 17 and I want a life without fear 24/7. Anyone feel the same as me?

Default Re: My life and my relationship

Hi Verity,

I used to be the same way, and I still am, to a certain degree. I am a hypochondriac as well. If something is wrong with me and I don't know why, I can't focus on anything else and often imagine the worst. You are very lucky to have a boyfriend who cares so much about you and loves you for who you are! That's awesome!

There are a lot of great things I missed out on doing because I was too worried, and it upsets me to think about it sometimes. Nobody wants to live like this. It is very frustrating. Sometimes I hope that I will eventually get so fed up that I just won't care anymore and I'll stop being so afraid. I know it's just not worth it, but my fears tell me otherwise...