Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My friend gave me this book on self-hypnosis, but he gave it to me to deal with my shyness.... then i read the back and it helps to over-come phobias too. Just thought you might be interested. I will have a read of the book, and see if anything works.

The book is: Self-Hypnosis: the complete guide to better health and self-change

and another book he gave me was: Barefoot doctor, and this is similar, but not self-hypnosis, i don't think....

He said these worked for him when he was insecure and lacked confidence, so i'm gonna give these a try and *finger crossed* [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks so much for the tip! Let us know how you're doing with the techniques! Good luck!

oooo please let us know how it goes!!!

Self-hypnosis is good stuff. Not a "cure", but it can really help. The most important thing is to believe that it will help. Self-doubt will kill self-hypnosis! The brain really can be manipulated and changed by changing our body responses (such as breathing) and our thought patterns as well.

Hit the damn phobia on all fronts! Go for it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">my problem is that i'm too damn smart( or stupid!!)for my own brain!!!! i studied hypnotherapy as well as having sessions in the hope of finding a way round my brain , tricking it into believing something else or at the least regressing myself to remove the negative disassociation of my first trigger. the p.t.s.d thing i thought could be helped by it but it would seem that whilst i go deep- i don't allow myself to be influenced by anything at all- i keep myself safe at all times and if i dont believe it , i dont accept it- i rejected all positive suggestion, i even tried to out-psyche myself by turning the tables!! i did abit of research on a very 'controversial' hypnotherapist who had some amazing cases - instead of telling my brain it was safe to eat etc etc and having my inner voice going ' yeah...right...as if!!!!' i decided to take a different approach, my instinct is to eat, my desire is to eat, my fear stops me - so i bypassed the fear by 'feeding it' i 'suggested' whilst in theta state that it was o.k NOT to eat, in fact... i shouldnt eat etc etc - and my little inner voice was screaming ' no way ... i want to fight this ,, i want to eat, i can eat!!!!! ' so in a way it was interesting that the approach worked but in another way - it didnt physically change a thing!!!!! i agree totally with sage that its true that hypnotherapy CAN and DOES change thought patterning in people who are suggestive to it- believe in it- it just didnt happen for me- story of my life !!!! sorry to go on- i'm the newbie of the group so i'll calm down after a few long mails and not be so excited at finding others who 'understand' this. there's a little bit about me in the general discussion forum- just in case u havent had enough already!!!!!!1thankx for listening-lisa- intuitive 1</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I think I was the same way. Sooooooooo "smart" for my own brain. Like hypnosis was totally useless on me, as was cognitive therapy, basically. And in the therapist's office I couldn't enter into imaginative desensitization because imagination didn't scare me one bit. So long as there wasn't anyone barfing anywhere near me, I was perfectly calm.

But eventually it was EMDR that really broke through that. Holy moley. The first time we did EMDR, I panicked...it was great (lol). I was happy about it, because the EMDR broke through my whole defense system. Eventually, the rest of the therapy could "take hold" because finally I was able to get past my own defenses.

So hang in there!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">please tell me more about e.m.d.r- i have utilised most therapies- and u hit the nail on the head with me- i'm all well and fine when talking cognitively - its reality that scares the bejeebers out of me - its physically changing my habit and facing my fear- sitting with my fear- my psycologist told me that the panic and nausea may never go away- i have to learn to 'sit ' with them comfortably- i have tried to!!!! istill do all the usual catastrophising/black and white/ all or nothing thinking etc etc -but i challenge my thoughts etc- and it comes down to one thing for me- is the freedom and enjoyment of eating food worth the fear and panic i endure when doing it- the answer is yes , at first , but after a few days ....becomes no. I have also used kinesiology, tft, t.l.p , n.l.p etc etcsage- where am i going wrong here- i have honestly visited every nook and cranny of my mind and challenged all i can- i have put myself out there and tried it so many times - i always end up with the same result- my mind decides to make me feel so much panic and nausea that i cannot 'function' so i give in to it again- i have come so far from where i was- i used to have severe o.c.d with this but i have moved from that, i used to run from the house screaming if anyone was ill - now i stay and offer reassurance etc - i used to not eat for days when hearing of someone having a bug - now i eat the little that i do regardless- but the thoughts and fears prevail- i eat so litlle, i'm losing weight, half my lung has died, i only weigh 36 kgs and i'm 163 cm tall- i have been this way for 12 years- the docs said its like p.t.s.d where the night i was ill was so bad and each day after the same symptoms continued that i have never broken from the cycle- but i have 3 little kiddies to think of here and a hubby who adores me which is a massive triumph after the horrendously abusive life i had til i met him.....he is so afraid i will die - i keep blanking it out - i dont believe i will - but am i deluding myself- i keep wishing for something bigger than the fear of nausea to happen to distract my mind...the only treatments here are in anorexia units and i find it makes me worse rather than better- i have shown them all the emetophobia info but as u know - they cant be seen to treat one patient differently to the others- i have spent 20 - 30 thousand dollars for private treatment and i believe it would have worked but the money run out!!!! i cannot afford the help that i need and i cant seem to find it for myself- thats why i get so cross with myself- because i know i am a strong, resilient woman with a very good brain on my head- its just working abit wonky at the moment!!!! i am desperately sad inside but i don't look at that much- i think depression is too much of a 'stasis' to fall in to - so i keep on running at a zillion miles an hour whilst having no energy whatsoever- the problem with this phobia is that my mind has covered all angles- i truly believ i am protecting myself- i cannot allow the nausea and vomiting to occur- i cannot cope with the feelings they produce, the fear so strong- i actually consider suicide to escape it- i cannot function whilst feeling nausea and i need to be able to raise my family- the nausea does not go away- even when i think it has - bam- it comes back again just to take me by surprise- as if to say =ha ha- got you!!thats what i fear most- one minute everything is o.k- a split second later and the worlds turned upside down and i have no control whatsoever- all i am told is that i am a lost cause .... untreatable and beyond help- unless i have like hundreds of thousands of dollars to commit to private in-patient treatment that is!!! i think i will save and go private, wait the year and try to be admitted then - but do i go the ea