Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Chronic Stomach Pain and Emetophobia?

First of all, I should probably introduce myself since this is my first post. I've been lurking on these boards for over a year now on and off. I'm 20 and have been afraid of v* since I was about 6, but did not develop a full blown phobia of it until I was about 15.

Right before the time I developed the strong phobia, I started getting bad stomach aches. I can pretty much say that I've had a stomach ache roughly 6/7 days of the week for the past 5 years. Every time the stomach ache hits, I get afraid of v* even though I have never once v* from these stomach aches. I don't know if they're psychosomatic and I've been tested for stomach things but the only real thing I have is acid reflux.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else here deals with emetophobia and chronic stomach pain. But if you do, what helps you cope?

Default Re: Chronic Stomach Pain and Emetophobia?

Edit: meant to say that I've been lurking on emetophobia boards (others besides this one included) for a year. Just FYI.

Welcome, happy you've decided to come around and post!

I can't say I have stomach aches very often (in fact hard to remember the last one) but my anxiety was always worse when anything felt wrong with my body.

I remember some similar posts to yours, so I think you will be in like company here!

Hope you're doing well today!

Peace,
    David

I have stomach issues too and it sounds like yours. I"m 33 and haven't vomited in about 20 years or so (since I was a kid). I am never sure if it's my anxiety or I have real stomach issues. I just went to a gastro guy and they gave me an endoscopy (tube down your throat that checks out the stomach). All they found was acid reflux but my stomach 5 days out of 7 feels like crap.

I don't know what to tell you because every time my stomach hurts, I'm worried I will throw up. Just hang in there and try not to panic!

It sounds to me like you've always held your anxiety in your stomach. When kids get stomach aches but aren't sick it's anxiety. Somehow...who knows why....that got translated into a fear of vomiting. But it's probably all the same thing. Working on your anxiety level in general will really help both your stomach aches and your phobia.

Take care and good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the advice guys!