Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My daugher is v* and I am pretty terrified but making it.

My daughter woke up saying that her tummy hurt. She is 5. I immediately began becoming terrified but dealt with it. I suffer from panic attacks with my phobia and take xanax .25mg (usually only half). I heard her cough and then it happened. Luckily my husband was there to pick up the pieces. As I ran around starting the shower and disinfecting everything. I took the sheets and started the washer and after 18 days of not taking a xanax for panic, I had to. A whole one. I was still shaking. She v* at about 10:30pm and then at 5am. Now she has eaten half of a banana and held it down fine. I am still a mess. Cleaning and disinfecting until my hands are very dry. I can't eat and I am counting down to when I will get it. I was doing so well. Now I am reading websites that say if one person in the house gets it. It is likely that the others will too. I am so scared! Any words of encouragement?

Default Re: My daugher is v* and I am pretty terrified but making it.

Also, I wonder when I would get it. I think they say 48 hours. I will be counting down

I went through the same when my daughter had a sv* last month...she's two and couldn't tell me that anything hurt, just walked around softly coughing for an hour before "it" happened. I was a Lysol-spraying, shaking wreck--knees knocking, felt like I was on fire under my skin. Please remember that you are not alone and that you will get through this! I thought for sure I would come down with it as well, and would sit with a calender, counting the days from possible exposure, incubation period, etc. I am so sorry your daughter is sick and that you are going through this...so many people do NOT know what you are going through (those lucky ones without emet.), but I sure do! You are lucky to have a hubby who helps...I do too, although he truly doesn't know the extent of how I feel--it still feels so lonely.
    Please take care, and I hope your little girl feels better soon! Forty-eight hours is usually the norm for stuff like this, you're right--but sadly, depending on the bug, it can be shorter or longer for incubation time.
    I send you a big hug...you will get through this--also, if you're like me, you don't eat much (if anything at all) during times like these. Try to eat a little--when you're seriously hungry AND anxious, the resulting nausea can make you freak out more, thinking you are getting sick. Remember too that our immune systems are much more mature than a 5-yr old's--you will be fine!

Also--Lotion, lotion, lotion! Try to wear disposable gloves when you can. I currently have hands that look like part of a Halloween costume because of my constant cleaning,washing and disinfecting. Lysol III will kill all, including the Norovirus, which is probably the most contagious of the v* bugs, but I'm sure you already know that and have a bunch on hand!

Thank you so much, Lexi! I needed those words of encouragement. I take it you made it through and did not v*. I am at over 18 hours now and I have been extremely clean so hopefully....but I don't want to jinx myself.
    There is this lady that has a website called Stop the Stomach Flu and she says that it is impossible for the family to make it through without getting it and that you can catch it up to 2 weeks later. The website is so scary. I should not even be looking at it because it just gets me worked up.
    Anyway, I may still count down but Maybe I will relax a little....maybe

By the way, she has been eating and is fine. I am glad she is better. That puts my mind at ease a little. It is hard to see your child sick and feel so helpless.

I can understand how you feel. I made sure to confine my daughter to her room, and made sure to wipe down everything! Also, don;t "hug" the sheets when you take them downstairs. Plus, try to avoid the cuddling and kisses for at least 24 hours after she is done being sick. I did read that some stomach bugs are still alive and can be spread for up 2 weeks from stool after so make sure she washes her hands after going to the bathroom.

Good luck! The stomach bug is going around for the second time at my daughters school in a month! I am praying she stays well since she already had it. I found out another kid was sick right next to her today!! My daughters school does a horrible job at keeping the kids away from eachother so I am not suprised it goes around as much as it does....

Are you sure it's a virus? Did your daughter have d*? Some times things just don't agree with our stomachs when your a kid. My husband v* a couple days ago and I was scared too but he had no d* and my son and I haven't got sick. I hope not to jinx myself by just saying that. My son has had a sv* before and my own father was sharing something with him and I thought I was gonna die watching my dad infect himself. That ment if he got it then the risk of me getting it goes higher. Everyone else in the house was already sick besides my dad and I. Guess what, my dad NEVER got sick nor did I. I was right there in it too, cleaning d* and v* after my son. Just keep hands clean, use bleach and water and if you got carpet call out a steam cleaner.

So glad your little girl is better! Yes, I should have mentioned that I DID make it through without v*, and so did my husband--so it IS possible to not have a sv* spread to all family members. (We had no symptoms at all, except for the nausea I felt from worrying and not eating!) That "stomach flu" website you mentioned IS SCARY, no doubt! I also read the 2-week incubation possibility and freaked out--I even counted off two weeks on my calendar and wrote "whew?" on the last day that I could "possibly get sick." I truly hope this will end sometime in my life, this fear of anything and everything involving v*!! I am a soldier when it comes to ANY other illness--lol--but this one reduces me to a catatonic, trembling, crying mom who wants HER mom. With kids, it's so hard, isn't it? I've had this fear since I was 8 yrs old, but now, being a mom, it seems it's always in my face--eeek.
    Take care...I am proud of you for making it as best as you can!

How is everything now? <3

Thanks again guys! She is fine now. She only v* twice that day. Of course, I am still looking at the days and counting but she is better and that is great. \
    I was just so proud of myself because my panic attacks had greatly decreased since I started taking a B Complex vitamin everyday and cut my caffeine intake. Although these things don't take away the phobia, they help tremendously with the reaction to the phobia. I am a lot calmer. I was able to go 19 days without taking any xanax but during that moment, I had to take one. I was so scared. I am trying to find ways to deal with the anxiety and was making headway.
    I am just glad now that she is better. Praying that it is gone from the daycare and all the kids are better

I'm glad you and your daughter are doing fine now! I have babies on the brain (that biological clock just hits ya suddenly, hard and heavy, lol), but am terrified of what would happen when they get sick. The vast majority of sv* have a very quick incubation period, so if you are feeling fine now you probably stay that way. Vitamin D is actually very helpful with keeping the immune system up and preventing viral illnesses too. Also a lot of people can kill off a viral infection quickly if they start taking a lot of vitamin D as soon as they start to feel sick. It really works.

I think the scariest thing is that even healthy people who take vitamins and get the flu shot can still get the norovirus...is there anything to really prevent it>? I hope they find a vaccine a.s.a.p!

i totally think there are ways to prevent it in adults, EDUCATION. If people know how it is spread and contracted it would be so east to keep it just with kiddies. But people who are non emets, and vomit doesnt phase them, they dont even think about how careful they need to be...they couldc are less if they get it or not...

(I know this post is somewhat old, but I thought I might try to help out anyways?)
    Something that I've noticed is that kids get sick way more often than adults. When I was growing up my sister and I would catch everything, but my parents seemed immune! My mom especially was always around my sister when she had any kind of illness, and she never got anything! (She only ever got colds from us occasionally.)
    So I guess I'd say just keep your hopes up!
    I hope things are good for you now!

Hope you're both feeling better now!