Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 3 week long headache

I was wondering if any of you had had any similar experiences?
    It started off with me getting a headache about 3 weeks ago before work. I took some paracetamol and for some reason it didn't work. Normally paracetamol gets rid of my headaches! So this was a bit odd. Then for two weeks striaght I had this headache that kept coming on quite strong but then fading again. It was always there lingering, if it wasn't too bad it would still hurt if i pressed my forehead. So I went to the doctors on the Monday just gone and said i'd had a headache for two weeks which could sometimes get quite severe. He asked if i'd been to my opticians and I had. The optician said it wasn't anything to do with my eyes even though my eyes are changing slightly (I need glasses now). So the doctor said right "it's a sinus infection". I didn't think I had a sinus infection because my Mum said when she had one she had "orange liquid pouring out of her nose" and it wasn't just a headache. But anyway he put me on some Amoxocillin antibiotics. I took them from Monday and for the first couple of days I was terrified of taking them as one of the side effects was vomiting and my Mum has previously vomited with some other type of antibiotics - so I was literally scared to death. But nethertheless I kept taking them and for the first couple of days my headache never came on strong it just kept at a minimal which was a LOT better because sometimes it kept me away the pain was so bad. But on Wednesday I accidently left my antibiotics out of the fridge... I have liquid ones because I cannot swallow tablets. I left it out for 3 hours in the sunlight and it says on the bottle you must refridgerate. So I rang up the Pharmacist and told her that i'd left my medicine out for a few hours and she said it'd be fine just put in back in the fridge straight away. I asked why it had to be kept in the fridge in the first place and she said "it keeps better". So i was instantly worrying that it had gone off ect ect. Anyway I kept taking them and it's now Friday and I think there's one more dose left in there to take tonight. But today the headache is still there. Not bad just still there and the doctor said they'd be "GONE" in a couple of days and it hasn't. It's still there and i'm scared it'll just come back when i stop taking the antibiotics, or is it because i left them out in the sunlight they're not as effective? Or maybe i never had a sinus infection? I don't know! Anyone relate to this? It's causing me some extreme anxiety. I thought maybe it could be the medications i'm taking? But I've been on them for months and haven't had any trouble up until now? Or maybe sinus infections don't go properly for a week or so after and a lingering slight headache stays?

Sorry that was so detailed. Just want to know what's wrong with me as I am a complete hypochondriac! x

Default Re: 3 week long headache

I don't think it was a sinus infection to start with tbh - one giveaway with them is if you bend over then stand up again quickly do you get a worsening of the pain in your forehead or under your eyes? if not or it's not tender under your eyes along your cheekbones it prob isn't sinuses. And if it is you would be better trying a decongestant before taking antibiotics as they can be blocked and cause pain without being infected.

Anyway - back to the headache ti could be tension or a billion an done other things, but i did once have a headache similar to the one you are describing and it lasted nearly a year - the doctor tried all sorts of things from decongestants to beta blockers and nothing worked really it just went away by itself eventually, but it was definitely anxiety related i'm sure because i only have to get slightly wound up and the first thing i get is a headache and it was just like you described to a tee, even the actual forehad being tender to the touch - it's basically a big muscle spasm over your scalp, so try rubbing your temples, nice relaxing baths, plenty of fresh air all the usual relaxing things and see how you get on. And welcome to the hypochondriacs club lol xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.