Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy UPPER abdominal pain and diarrhea?????

O.k...so i have a strange question but im hoping that a few of u can answer it.....It started Tuesday morning (its now Thursday afternoon)...I woke up and got out of bed and the moment my feet hit the floor i had to run to the restroom and i had diarrhea...It was VERY urgent though almost like i couldnt make it to the toilet fast enough...It wasnt watery diarrhea though...Anyway,i had a few sharp UPPER abdominal pains all day but they would come and go and only last for seconds at a time...I only had the diarrhea once that day...Well the next day it was the same story-the moment i woke up i had to run to the restroom but this time it wasnt diarrhea , it was a pretty normal b.m. and i had the little upper ab cramps throughout the day and only had that ONE b.m.-Well now its Thursday and ive had NO nausea just the little pains and once again ive only had ONE episode of diarrhea but not WATERY diarrhea....Im explaining all of this because its would baffle me if i caught a stomach bug because there is no way i could have..(i am one of the most obsessive,clean hygienic people ever! But what could be causing these small episodes of diarrhea and the upper cramps?? The only thing different that i have added to my diet is BioGaia probiotics but ive been on them 4 three weeks now...Wouldnt they have caused these symptoms sooner than three weeks?? What does it sound like to u guys and are probiotics supposed to basically "clean you out"?? P.S.....There r FIVE other people in my household and noone else has caught anything from me yet and ive had these symptoms for about 51 hrs now so it just makes me wonder......................Oh and ive also been belching alot too...
    Last edited by triciamassey; 02-11-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Make me whole again....

Default Re: UPPER abdominal pain and diarrhea?????

Its really sad that there are so many people on this forum that need answers and help but it seems as though everyone only answers the questions that the "regulars" post....What about everyone else that needs a little comforting? There are people that post about 3 or 4 questions on here DAILY and tons of people answer them but the ones that only post once a month or so seem to get ignored.....i just need some reassurance thats all.....
    Make me whole again....

Hey, don't stress about the answers. This Question and Answers section doesn't get a lot of traffic, and most of it is probably from non-members.

I don't really know what the issue is. Assuming you're female, it could be menstrual related. If you aren't n* don't worry about it.

Upper abdominal pain can be anything. Even gas. Occasionally I'll get pain there, freak out, and it will make it worse. Just ignore it.

I think you're going to be just fine, but if you have d* again, you might want to change your diet a little.

Yes the private forum tends to be the most used bit so don't take it personally, also it depends on the time of day you post as to how many members are on what with the differing time zones and stuff.

In asnwer to your question yes pre/probiotics can cause d*, i would maybe reduce your dose and take them just a couple fo times a week or every other day at most.

It doesn't sound like an sv as the d* wasn't watery just your system working too fast hence the wind and crampy feelings - it could even be a dose of IBS, if you are anxious about something even subconsciously it can set off d* in some people.

Whatever it is, if it was going to cause v* it would have done so by now so just keep well hydrated and stick to a light diet until everything is back to normal x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sorry, i usually dont come to this section alot.......but it sounds like gas to me and could be a result of the probiotics......i take them too and have that problem sometimes.....i'm just glad that i poo everyday.....no matter what shape or form lol
    i'm sure you will be fine
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you guys so much 4 ur replies...It means more than u know to me....Well this morning is the fourth day that this has went on and the moment i opened my eyes this morning i had to go to the bathroom AGAIN and this time it WAS watery! AGHHHHH! What in the heck is going on with me?? Im only having ONE friggin bout of diarrhea a day and it is when i wake up in the morning...Im still have the sharp pains too that are right up under my ribs..What in the world is this??? BooHooo!!!!
    Make me whole again....

Is the pain on the right hand side under your ribs, because that can be gallbladder, and if your gallbladder isn't working right it your body can't hadnle fat in your food and it can give you d* - that's a longshot though, i think seeing as this started out of the blue that maybe you do have a bug, it canbe a shock to your system as a super hygieneic emet if you do get one (i was shocked when i got noro) but it could have been through some food you ate and all the handwashing in the world can't prevent that, sometimes these things unfortunately beyond our control.

The good news is though, that if you were going to v* you would have done 4 days ago when this started not after all this time so unpleasant as it is having the runs don't be panicking that it's going to progress to anything else as i'm sure iot won't.

it could of course be a nasty bout of IBS and your anxiety about the intial d* could be causing more and more of it?

I wish i could give you a definitive answer about what it is, but i really hope you are feeling better soon. In about an hours time i won't be on again til monday when i'm back at work, but i hope you manage to enjoy your weekend xxx
    Last edited by paulinek; 02-12-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Sorry, I would've seen this yesterday, but I wasn't on the board for more than a minute or 2 as we were digging out from a major snow storm here.

My instinct tells me it could be related to the pro/pre-biotics you are taking. You said it is NOT watery, so that tells me there isn't a water absorption issue. The regular urgent need to go at the same time every day would indicate a new regulation in your system. Maybe your body reacted too dramatically to the pre/probiotics? Have you increased your fiber intake as well? Sometimes that can cause a LOT of gas pain (I increased mine too much too fast and had gas pain UNDER MY RIBS believe it or not!) and can cause you to need to go "right now. If it continues, I would call your doctor about it, but if you don't have any nausea and are otherwise feeling well (normal appetite, energy, etc) I doubt you have an infection.

I hope you get the answers you need!
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon