Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Here we go again. My 6 year old's got it.

We avoided any SV's last year, so I guess we're catching up this year. My poor 6 year old had tummy pain & d* all day yesterday. Last night she added v* to the mix. She didn't eat much yesterday, so there's not much coming up. She is being so brave and even made it to hertrashcan everytime so far. She's just come to get us to empty it for her. I took an Ativan at 7:00 last night .5 mg and another at 1 am when she first v'ed. I might take 1 more just before my hubby leaves for work in a couple of hours. I had a couple of panic attacks when the ativan had worn off and she v*, but nothing like last time. Hubby has to go to work today because his company is moving to another location and he was snowed in here for 2 days. That means this is my first time fling solo and I am very nervous about that! I know I can do it. Moms do it everyday, but I'm afraid of her learning my fear. If you have faith, please pray this is short-lived and that I get thru it with courage!

Thanks for reading.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

Default Re: Here we go again. My 6 year old's got it.

i will say a few prayers for you.....but congrats on even being able to stay there.....i think i would be at a hotel.....one of the reasons i never had kids.....you are strong!
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm with olschesky, i would be sleeping in the car at the vey least, i really do admire emet mums. I'm sending good vibes your way that this is all over and done with very very soon. It could be she has a rotavirus in which case even if you got it you would get no more than the d*, but even if it is noro then as long as you handwash and bleach everything down that she was s* near or may have touched afterwards thne you will be ok xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yep, we'll be doing the sterilize the house routine today. I'm starting to wonder if while the v* incident my brother had when he was a child was the inital trigger, but now I'm more afraid of the panic attack that I had then I am of the v* that first caused it. Maybe v* isn't what I'm afraid of afterall, but it just triggers such a strong traumatic memory that I panic?

Anyway, I have to be strong for my daughter because hubby (who usually stays home and handles this stuff while I go to another part of the house or go out somewhere) HAS to go to work today. I just talked to her pediatrician on the phone, and she said that since she is down to almost nothing in her tummy to bring up (you all know what that's like), I can try to give her some Emetrol to calm the v* so she can be more comfortable. Poor kid. She was supposed to sleep over at her grandmom's tonight and her best friend's house tomorrow night and I have to cancel both. Poor mommy & daddy were looking forward to a child-free valentine's weekend, so poor us too!
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

It could well be the incident with your brother that set it off, but i don't believe there is ever just one single thing that triggers off emet, i think it's a much more complex thing realting to anxiety in general and a few different factors that all rolled together create emet. I'm sure the majority of the population have had traumatic v* incidents either happen to them as kids or that they've witnessed but it doesn't affect them like it does us. I still think it's alot to do with lack of control, so being scared of the panic attack resulting from your brothers incident would also be a factor as panic attacks can be perceived as causing a loss of control too.

You sound like you are soping with this so well, i would be completely flipping out by now! Thats good she can have some emetrol, hopefully she will perk up after that. And don't worry about passing your fear on to her - my mum and gran who were always the two people who looked after me whenever i v* as a child were both not phobic and very loving, caring and matter of fact about v* and i ended up emet, and the fact she can just do it in the bin then bring it to you for emptying tells me she is ok with it, i think emet symptoms tend to have kicked in by her age with a lot of people if she were to get it xx

She seems a lot better this morning. Hasn't tried to eat anything yet, but her morning bm was normal, not d*.

I talked to my psychologist about my very first panic attack. She said that my brother's incident kicked off a post traumatic stress syndrome that is triggered when someone v*s near me. He v* massive amounts of red kool aid that I thought was blood. I thought my baby bro (8 years younger than me) was going to die. That was my very first panic attack ever.

oh my goodness, i'm not surprised you had a panic attack at the sight of that! And yes it makes perfect sense that now whenever someone v*'s it brings back that terror that your brother was going to die.

I think it's good you can pinpoint exactly what set it off because surely that makes it easier to treat? idk. I hope so though!

Glad to hear your daughter is feeling better, what a relief. Well done for coping so well and have a good weekend xxx

Wow- I'm really not alone? I almost cannot believe it.

My family has always known about my "phobia." My brother has it too but not at this intentsity. And mine comes and goes but has been steady for the past 2 years. I've lost 70 lbs. in those 2 years.

I live with a bottle of Emetrol near me at all times. I take Seraquel (among other meds) as needed for acute anxiety. If I start to feel n* or even unsteady, I have to get in my bathroom and in the shower. If anyone nears me feels s*, I freak out. I've often said that if my hubby got s*, he would have to go to a hotel (or I would). And when he did get s* a couple of years ago (which triggered the phobia back into FULL throttle), I couldn't go near him for days.

Tonight, my son got s* and my hubby wasn't home. It was awful. I was able to get my son out of his crib (he is almost 3), undressed & onto our couch wrapped in a towel. I got the sheets off the bed and into a trash bag which I put on our porch. I don't know how I managed that. Hubby & son are both asleep now and I am still wide awake looking for anything to fill up time. I'm terrified to sleep so I keep walking outside for stupid things or cleaning. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who cleans like crazy when this happens. The apartment will be SCOURED! The Lysol can is already half gone!

While it saddens me that anyone out there has to endure this, I am glad I'm not alone. I hope I can talk to everyone very soon. Preferably NOW since I am completely losing it!!!

I'm glad to hear she's doing better. My 6 yo son got it saturday night, and now my 9yo son has it as well. To top it off, I'm 5.5 wks pregnant myself, and dealing with morning sickness, and now add in cleanup duty to the mix. I had a panic attack myself a few minutes ago when he v* all over the carpet in the his bedroom. I feel for you. No wonder you had a panic attack after seeing your brother sick like that. Huge hugs to you.