Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: MidLife

Default MidLife

Is there anyone on here that is in mid-life that still has this problem? From the posts I've read it seems like most everyone is a lot younger and that makes me think I'm really odd for still having this problem as bad as I do after all this time.

Default Re: MidLife

By mid-life what age do you mean? I'm 33 and I feel like one of the older people here. I guess I am in mid-life if I live to be 66.

i'm definitely midlife.....or older.....i'm 58 .......so yes it does exist in old age .......i've had emet for almost 50 years......most of which i had no idea what it was or that other people felt the same way as me ....this site has been a lifesaver for me
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm 45 so I figured that's considered mid-life. Well that's good to hear then that I'm not the only older person on here that still has a problem with emet.

Oh I'm sure they are out there, the problem is, my own parents can barely understand a lot of things on the internet.....a lot of people don't think to google such a thing....truth be told, you can find just about anything on the net.

So I think a lot of it has to do with people who are computer savy as well....or they just don't want to talk about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm 43 but didn't really have emetophobia until my mid-30's. So I guess I was mid-life when it hit me.

Friend me on Facebook

I actually developed emetophobia in childhood and have carried it with me all these years so I really feel embarrased that I have not eliminated it by now. I never even really thought of it as some kind of phobia or problem, I just thought I was really unusual for feeling like I did.

I`m 57, so I must easily be one of the oldest members on this site.

i hav a godmother who is like 50 someit and she still has this problem... but shes doing great ps Im 14 i am also worried I will have this problem forever though it makes me who i am

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiekoko View Post
    I actually developed emetophobia in childhood and have carried it with me all these years so I really feel embarrased that I have not eliminated it by now. I never even really thought of it as some kind of phobia or problem, I just thought I was really unusual for feeling like I did.
    I never thought it was a problem either. Its just a way of life for me. So I guess it isn't a problem? It's just a phobia that I have. It doesn't control every aspect of my life. I just freak out when I'm around sick people and I'm really anal about cleanliness.
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.

HI i am 54 years old and have suffered from this for 46 years BUT kept it a secret as I was unaware that I actually had a defined phobia.................I have written a book about my life as a kind of therapy and also to try and educate the lucky ones who do not suffer or if anyone has friends or family members that don't understand how this takes over every day life..
    If anyone waould like to buy it please go to Amazon.com or Authorhouse.com and search under my name Caroline Dowdall.....Living with Emetophobia.my story.....

Yep, me too, 41 and had it since I was 10, so unfortunately it hangs on even into adulthood and beyond.

I'm 52 and suffered for as long as I can remember until age 42 when I was finally treated for it successfully. I have clients now who are in their 50s.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I am not midlife but I am nearly 30 and thought for sure this would go away with age. I seem to have gotten more fearful within the last couple of years when my child came along. To me this meant another tummy ache to worry about and 2 times likely to catch a bug. I would like to think that 20 years from now I'll be over it but that's what I hoped for 20 years ago.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

Aw man, I was hoping I'd just "grow out of it"
    I get so tired of hearing that actually. Lol I think the Internet has been a big help in getting emet out there. I mean, if it weren't for the internet I would never know. My gradma is Internet savy but my grandpa won't touch one! So I figure most of it is we just don't know about them, and they are suffering alone
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I am 30 and suffered with emet my whole life. Being in therapy is really helping. but its a long journey finding the right match for you.

I'm 51 and i first new i had emet when i was 16.

I'm 37 and have been this way since age 7. Like others, I just thought it was me. Didn't know it had a name, much less was classified as a phobia. After all these years I thought it would go away. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybeth View Post
    By mid-life what age do you mean? I'm 33 and I feel like one of the older people here. I guess I am in mid-life if I live to be 66.

nope as im 36 and a male. there doesn't seem to be alot of males round here.

I'm 34 and didn't even know about it until I had kids. Maybe when they go to college(17 yrs from now) I'll be better offbc I only worry when I hear it's going around.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    I'm 52 and suffered for as long as I can remember until age 42 when I was finally treated for it successfully. I have clients now who are in their 50s.

so by cured, you no longer have any fears of it?

I'm 48 and I've been emetophobic since my early 20s, and it seems to be getting worse instead of better.