Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry Scared of other people.

I'm not sure if this is usual or not, but I haven't seen much here about people who, in addition to being terrified of their own puke, also are horrified when people around them throw up. This happens to me often and when it does I usually end up crying and covering my eyes and ears or going numb from shock.

The first time it happened was three years ago when I was on my way to school and my sister threw up in the backseat. My throat closed up and I panicked and began to cry when I tried to get out of the car. I couldn't think straigt and was pretty much comletely unable to operate the lock or the door handle in my panic.

The same thing continues to happen to me frequently at school. I run cross country and am pretty serious about it, so throwing up after a hard workout is normal and it isn't getting easier to handle. When I hear other people throwing up before or after a race I have to step away fom the line for a couple minutes to regain control of myself and relax and whipe my eyes, etc. This isn't something I can seem to help and it really disrupts my running and sometimes my race or practice results.

It's also pretty embarrassing when it happens in front of my friends. Last year we watched "Supersize Me" in biology in which a man subjects himself to meaningless torture in the form of eating McDonald's three times a day for a retarded amount of time. Of course, for a while he does a lot of puking. We watched this movie as a class and when he threw up I instantly burst into tears and had to walk to the front of the class to get a tissue. I couldn't breathe well enough to tell my teacher what was wrong, so she panicked and that was just a lot more attention I didn't want.

This stupid phobia is ruining my life and it's making me angry because I know it's senseless to fear it like I do.

Default Re: Scared of other people.

Nah. Many of us are just as afraid of others getting sick as you are. I can't stand it either. On TV, movies whatever. And it happens in front of me I lose my mind. I'm afraid of me getting sick but allmost as afraid of others.

Yes, at this point, I am more afraid of others, not so much myself. I can control what I do (for the most part) and absolutely nothing of what others so. Of course, I can avoid places where there is a high chance of it happening, but sometimes that also means not being able to do fun/normal things like everyone else does. It's frustrating sometimes - because I'll force myself to go to a bar and then be in a panic the entire time, making sure nobody looks ready to be ill.

Biggest thing right now for me is that I really dread flying because I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with someone who gets sick...I really don't know what I would do.

The only reason Id be afraid of others v*ing is for fear that I may "catch" whatever they have and then v* myself. But i understand the sight, sound, smell, thought of it can make you queasy.

Quote Originally Posted by alexikiss View Post
    Yes, at this point, I am more afraid of others, not so much myself. I can control what I do (for the most part) and absolutely nothing of what others so. Of course, I can avoid places where there is a high chance of it happening, but sometimes that also means not being able to do fun/normal things like everyone else does. It's frustrating sometimes - because I'll force myself to go to a bar and then be in a panic the entire time, making sure nobody looks ready to be ill.

Biggest thing right now for me is that I really dread flying because I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with someone who gets sick...I really don't know what I would do.
    I'm not afraid of catching somehing from other people. I'm not Even sure if I would freak out about vomiting myself at all because I haven't in nearly a decade but regardless it's really bad with other people. I think it's the sound that's the worst.

I too fear others getting sick. My 2 y/o recently got sick and I ran away...fast. I felt awful!!! Luckily my husband and sister-in-law, who have now fear of it, were there to manage the situation. I shakily paced in the other room while trying to reassure him with a calm voice from afar. That is what kills me the most about this phobia, that I can't even be there for my baby. I just pray that I don't pass this down to him.
    I hear you about being infuriated by this...it is awful.

i have the fear of catching something from other people.....if they are sick from being drunk .....i don't panic nearly as bad as if they had the sv.....i would have to run and hide then....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to be really scared of other people v*, contagious or not. Like, I would run away.

Eventually I just grew to not really care (unless I thought they might have s*v*). The majority of people in the world don't like seeing v*, seeing people v*, or smelling v*. That's kinda where I'm at right now. I don't like it, but I can suck it up and hold someone's hair back if needed.

I can watch it in TV and movies just fine though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet

this is my first post! I had to comment on this one cuz everyone else seems to be talking about being afraid of themselves but I am totally with you! I am pretty much just afraid of other people, I don't really worry about myself I know I have an iron stomach. and until last year (stupid carnitas) I had only thrown up once in my life when I was 4 after a surgery (stupid anesthesia) . . . when i was a kid I thought I was the only one, I saw a list of phobias and mine wasnt on the list so I thought I had created a new one haha.

I am careful around people who say they are nauseous, not standing near them and looking/listening for signs that they may be close to throwing up. if someone throws up in the bathroom I won't use it for a week, whenever I would hear a cough i would mistake it for someone throwing up or about to. I do go to amusement parks but spend a lot of time scoping out people in line to check for people who might look sick, I have a hard time seeing it in movies or on tv, too.
    like you said, my heart races, I can't think of anything else, can't focus, trying to plan escape routes, etc.

I have gotten better about it though, what has actually worked for me is starting out very slowly with things like tv and movies. forcing myself to think that it is just an image and it's not actually happening in my real world that I am in right now and have nothing to worry about. it has been very slow, but each time I would see it in a movie I would be less stressed than the time before, now I still look away but it doesnt freak me out so much and I get over it quickly so it doesnt affect me for the rest of the day.

i'm still working on the real life situations, I can still imagine horrible situations, like a worst nightmare situation and i can't get those out of my head and they make me nervous.
    i did however have a friend over in my house not too long ago who threw up all in my bathroom and got in on a lot of stuff in there. but trying to be a good friend I handed her paper towels from around the corner of the door (while secretly wanting to cry) so she could clean it up. And after she left she had missed a tiny spot and I had to wipe it up . . . I did end up throwing away a lot of stuff that was in the bathroom at the time even if it didnt get dirty but the disgusting germs could have floated in the air . . .
    but the point is I could not have done that two years ago so I am slowly getting better I think!

wow this post is long sometimes I start typing and just don't stop, well hope this was encouraging or whatever, thanks for reading!

In regards to particularly being phobic when it involves other people, I feel like my phobia is of the actual v* itself. Coming to this site has made me think about it more and realize this, I think. Like obviously the sound is horrible, the smell, the sight...but I also feel like I react similarly to how those people do on Maury Povich who are afraid of pickles. It's just like I don't even want to see it. It is like a monster to me or something, haha. I can't really explain it. I feel like I'm getting somewhere now that I have openly realized this, but I still can't get past that feeling.

I really dont care about seeing people v* as long as my tummy is fine and I know I cant catch it. So I dont mind if its from alcohol, food poisoning, etc. Just as long as its not sv* contagious, Im fine. I dont really understand how you can be afraid of other people v*ing, but I know a lot of people cant understand why I am afraid of v*ing myself, so in a way I can relate...

I was always more frightened of other vomiting than me vomiting. It got to the point where I couldn’t go out places to eat, or anywhere with crowds. It’s important to remember that the core problem seems to be with fearing people getting sick, not the people themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by teh folder View Post
    I was always more frightened of other vomiting than me vomiting. It got to the point where I couldn’t go out places to eat, or anywhere with crowds. It’s important to remember that the core problem seems to be with fearing people getting sick, not the people themselves.
    This is my main problem now. It always used to be about me, but now it's others. I feel like at times, it gets worse. I'm not really sure what to do about it. And I can't talk about it to anyone because I would be embarrassed to admit it. Then if we were in such a place, I know they'd be thinking, "Oh, she's probably scared right now..." and I wouldn't want that. Ughhh, I'm sick of making excuses for why I don't want to do things when it boils down to someone possibly getting sick. I always have to pretend I am antisocial or claustrophobic.

I don't think you need to be afraid to tell other people I think they might be more supportive than you think. I've always let people know about my phobia and everyone has been understanding. Some people are afraid of spiders, snakes, bacteria, we are afraid of vomit(ing). my friends all know I can't be near them if they are feeling nauseous, not to talk about it around me, etc.
    no one has ever laughed at me or been nonsupportive. I think you should give it a try, it really helps

Quote Originally Posted by heyadelaide View Post
    I don't think you need to be afraid to tell other people I think they might be more supportive than you think. I've always let people know about my phobia and everyone has been understanding. Some people are afraid of spiders, snakes, bacteria, we are afraid of vomit(ing). my friends all know I can't be near them if they are feeling nauseous, not to talk about it around me, etc.
    no one has ever laughed at me or been nonsupportive. I think you should give it a try, it really helps
    You're kinda right. I have mentioned my phobia to people but I think sometimes they take it lightly or don't realize that I go into complete panic mode if it happens. My close friends know I do, but not the ones I don't get to see as much. Since joining this site, I feel more accepting of having this phobia and while I'm not "proud" of it, I don't want to be ashamed of it either. Now I feel like if I am open about it, maybe it will lessen the fear or take some of the power out of it. So I thank this site and everyone on it!

Seeing others being s* is worse than doing it myself! I've done it on very few occasions, and it's not that bad, but I will still do anything in my power to avoid doing it! but TV, Movies, just plain other people doing it! It's a major panic attack! So I understand ya completely. Sad thing is, we cant let it rule us. I love going out and doing things like going to concerts, parties, Disney, the beach, etc. I've been fairly luck and only a few incidents happened that I've been able to avoid. I stay alert. I move out of the way (and in some cases, out of the vicinity entirely) when I even suspect someone might do it.
    I found out at the Disney theme parks, if you see or hear a cast member (employee) talking about needing to clean up a protein spill, then turn around and walk the other way. they have all these little code words to be non offensive (and I am glad they do), and my sister (I had to work thank goodness) had an experience where a little kid in line v* right by her. (she is not an emet, so while a bit grossed, she STAYED IN LINE FOR THE RIDE)!!! but she heard them talking about the protein spill. I goggled it and sure enough!

[QUOTE=alexikiss;244219]Yes, at this point, I am more afraid of others, not so much myself. I can control what I do (for the most part) and absolutely nothing of what others so. Of course, I can avoid places where there is a high chance of it happening, but sometimes that also means not being able to do fun/normal things like everyone else does. It's frustrating sometimes - because I'll force myself to go to a bar and then be in a panic the entire time, making sure nobody looks ready to be ill.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. We all have a different degree of this stupid phobia. We are all individuals and NONE OF US ARE CRAZY or UNCARING or WARPED!!!

We are just afflicted with this strange irrational phobia that will ruin our lives if we allow it to!!!

Have a blessed day!

As a healthcare worker (substance abuse counselor) I have to qualify for CPR and the trainer said victims may v* during mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Now what? Risk the possibility of a victim v* in my mouth or let him die? Secondly, 22 yrs. ago when I was a drunken bum I was ill every morning and in fact drank red wine so I wouldn't see blood in my own v*; but, since sobriety have not been sick except for taking pain meds after an operation last year. I'd rather withstand the pain than be sick to my stomach so disposed of the pills. My other fear is helping drunks who may have a problem in my car while driving them to detox.

I know exactly how you all feel about this, because I feel disgusted when other people V**, whether it`s on tv, or in real life. I think that they should just hold it in, like I have always done in the past. 9 times out of 10 I was successful at doing this, so why don`t they do it. people are revolting at times!!!!!

I flip out when I see people v*. TV and movies even.

I always have to go to kids-in-mind.com to make sure there is no vomit in movies before I go. It's embarrassing and sometimes I feel stupid.

I've had this phobia since I was little and I'm 20 now and I feel like I should be coming to terms with it but I still HATE It so much.

Speaking of v* in movies- and possible discussions of same in "The Messenger" may have been vetted before I became a member here- but I wasn't prepared for a short quick scene during a showing of this film at a professional workshop I had to attend in March on the subject of "Ethics In Addiction Counseling."

For me it not only ruined the whole concept, intent and theme for which we were to better understand the conflicts in dealing with our ethics in this well portayed film, but the v* scene burned into my head and I haven't shaken it since. Further, it served no valid purpose to enhance the charaters, emotions or advance the plot.

Wishing to check if v* was noted as a 'Plot Keyword' for "The Messenger" on Internet Movie Database.com (IMDb.com), I saw many such references under the headings of "nudity, sex, grief, ethics, etc." but no v*. Thereupon I immediately requested the site please review and add same to the list of 62 other such 'Plot Keywords' and finally on 4/11 I saw v* so noted.. There are 124 films listed under that word (with variations on this theme) as far back as 1971 including "The Exorcist" of 1973. Surely Hollywood can produce enough on-screen shock without showing this vile act which does little else than disgust audiences..

I am in a similar position at the moment...I posted earlier that I have been offered a job drawing blood (which I love) at a hospital...It's a great opportunity, great training, etc. but I am scared to death of seeing someone sick. I really want to do this and not let this fear stop me, but man, it scares me...I HATE that this phobia can still control parts of my life, after all these years!!! Approx. 30!!

As an addendum to the problem of healthcare professionals at risk with emetophobia- next week I'm taking a required six hour workshop on the subject of "Eating Disorders" and so naturally part of the discussion will center on bulimia nervosa.

Hopefully no film will be shown and I'm sure I can detach from the discussion if it remains clinical and doesn't get graphic; otherwise, I'll have to disclose my problem and excuse myself from the room. Or, at the risk of appearing more infantile, I can mention there are people suffering a phobia of this nature and ask if others have this problem.

In any case, it goes with the territory and I'll mange in some fashion. Still, after seeing what others share on the terrific website, I know I'd never make it as a shcool teacher, doctor/nurse, a janitor, railcar cleaner or porter in public places, etc.. More power to those who can do the job and seemingly handle it.