Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts, it means a lot to me since I'm quite confused right now

I'm thinking ... since I feel comfortable with both the CBT and the therapist when it comes to the social phobia. I'll talk to her again about the emetophobia and try to explain how I feel and then decide what to do. Maybe she hasn't yet fully understood how very fearful I am. It's like we're on completely different levels when she's talking about not washing hands after using public toilets while I struggle with cooking and eating in my own home even after washing my hands like crazy. Being able to handle and eat food in my own home without fear would be fantastic and improve the quality of my life tremendously and maybe that's where I need to start.

At this point I guess I'm not really interested in being able to do all the scary things - I doubt that I will ever eat something that has been on the floor, because eating things that has been on plates would be good and normal enough for me - but I think I'm ready to take some baby steps in the right direction.

paulinek – thanks for the tip about cutting down the obsessive washing. These last weeks the washing has been pretty much out of control – the only way to stop it seems to be staying at home and starve myself (which is not a good idea) – and I really need to start taking better care of my hands or I won't be able to cook or type or anything.