Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default GERD/Acid Reflux and Emetophobia

I was wondering if anyone out there has GERD or acid reflux (same thing) and is dealing with the fear of v*. I used to wake up every night feeling rather ill like something foul was coming up my esophagus. It would often lead to anxiety attacks and taking tums or pepto bismol and fear that I would v*. I told my parents and they just thought it was in my head and I told my guitar teacher and he said I might have Acid Reflux. So I went to the doctor and he agreed that I have acid reflux and he prescribed me Zantac which works pretty well. Its just that sometimes I forget to take it and the feeling catches up with me a few days later and I feel yucky again. I wonder if anyone else has Acid Reflux? Im 17 and thats pretty young to get it so maybe its from stress?

Default Re: GERD/Acid Reflux and Emetophobia

What excatly is acid reflux, just curious?
    I'm guilty of being innocent
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Its when something between your stomach and esophagus is too wide. Sort of an opening and you have too much stomach acid and it washes up into your throat and it burnes your throat and makes you burpy and sicky feeling.

i have it. it is awful for me. everytime i get heartburn it is just terrible. i went thru all the different meds and nothing seemed to help me at all. so im glad the zantac works for you. everytime i get it, i get n* and feel so sick. im pretty young too. hang in there!

Oh! I do! I do!! Have had since I was roundabouts 15 or so ... I am on Nexium at the mo, but seems every couple years, the medicine I'm on stops working and I'm back to square 1. I usually get n* before heartburn, also .. kinda like a warning. I know if I am n* and then I get heartburn, I am ok. But heartburn THEN n* is bad stuff. Also, when I have an sv* , I get debilitating heartburn throughout being ill ... So even if I did allow myself to v*, I'd still feel like crap.

I do, I self diagnosed because I was pretty sure that's what it was, I doubled checked on web MD & I went to see a doctor. I was correct, I do have GERD, and the worse part of it is I also have emetophobia! I ate pizza earlier and anything with that much tomato sauce will certainly mess things up for me. So right now it's 2:00am over here in California, I have work at 9:45 in the morning and I can not sleep at all, Everytime I lay down, I feel something coming up my throat, also I feel alot of pressure between my ribcage, I hear bubbling in my stomach and my nerves are going crazy! What should I do? I took medicine my doc prescribed me but it doesn't seem to work HELP.

clara_baby, tomato products usually upset my stomach and give me heartburn as well. I wonder why that is...Usually Im able to deal with heartburn because I know it doesnt ever make me v*. Propping my head up on pillows while I sleep helps keep the acid down thanks to gravity...

I have GERD, too. It sucks! I have had it since I was 16...I am 33 now. I, like what the frick, have to switch meds every few years, as well. What's even worse is my son has it, too. He was diagnosed with it at 5 weeks old. I hate knowing that he has to go through all that and he probably will for the rest of his life.

My zantac works pretty well, i hope i dont have to switch meds later. My doctor said it could even go away. Is that possible?

I guess if your Dr. said it was possible, then it probably is.

I have it too although it took until i was pregnant to figure it out. Now I know why I would wake up in the middle of the night or morning since childhood feeling queasy with a foul taste in my mouth but it would always go away when i got up and drank a glass of water and sat for a while.
    now i don't eat after dinner, avoid certain foods at night (lunch is fine) and avoid other foods completely. if i do eat an acidic food for dinner i sleep propped up. i also tell myself that when i wake up queasy it's just reflux. that calms me down. the only time i've ever v* from it is if i overate and then when right to bed.

I have GERD and a hiatal hernia, so reflux and regurgitation is a party of my daily life. I'm even convinced that if a non-emet had to go through the feelings I'm feeling on a daily basis, they would just let themselves v*. I have gotten really good at holding back v* and supressing gags. It totally sucks, and I am on meds for it, but I hate it. I am a candidate for surgery so I think I'm going to talk to my GI doctor about it. The only thing I am scared of is v*ing after the operation, because of the meds they'll give me.

I was diagnosed with all this stuff when I was 17. I've had 4 endoscopies in my life, and am prone to ulcers. I have had one colonoscopy (worse expereince of my LIFE) and had to do a barium test, drink contrast, eat some sort of egg sandwich with stuff in it so they could take pictures of my stomach. Let me tell you, living like this is NOT fun...but the surgery scares me. What am I supposed to do? LoL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

I've lived with acid reflux for as LONG as I can remember. I've gotten better about it, but I would lay awake at night, EVERY night, and thinking I wasn't going to get sick. I would try and sleep through panic attacks. I never once told my mom either. I don't have them anymore like I used to, sometimes I do if i have a bad stomachache. I've been on and off so many stomach meds. My dr. told me that I have acid reflux, gastritis, IBS, and I guess i'm lactose intolerant. But I love ice cream and continue to eat it. I feel like such crap after eating cheesecake, milkshakes, and really creamy stuff. So that is just hurting myself.. But I will never ever have an endoscopy, I'm too afraid. I won't even get my wisdom teeth out, i'm also afraid of surgery. (i'm guessing its because I remember my brother waking up after surgery on his arm and starting throwing up) UGHH Anyway. You're not alone. I never V* from it though
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkButterfly View Post
    I've lived with acid reflux for as LONG as I can remember. I've gotten better about it, but I would lay awake at night, EVERY night, and thinking I wasn't going to get sick. I would try and sleep through panic attacks. I never once told my mom either. I don't have them anymore like I used to, sometimes I do if i have a bad stomachache. I've been on and off so many stomach meds. My dr. told me that I have acid reflux, gastritis, IBS, and I guess i'm lactose intolerant. But I love ice cream and continue to eat it. I feel like such crap after eating cheesecake, milkshakes, and really creamy stuff. So that is just hurting myself.. But I will never ever have an endoscopy, I'm too afraid. I won't even get my wisdom teeth out, i'm also afraid of surgery. (i'm guessing its because I remember my brother waking up after surgery on his arm and starting throwing up) UGHH Anyway. You're not alone. I never V* from it though
    I had the same experiences at night until I got medicine for it. By the way, I got my wisdom teeth out and I had no problems with it. They gave me vicodin which can make you n* but only if you dont eat with it. Most people dont have bad reactions like that to surgery. I feel sorry for your brother though. If you need your teeth out you should get them out!

I contacted a surgeon and have decided to go ahead with the surgery. They can do it endoscopically and from what I hear it's an in and out proceedure. However, they could also choose to do another, more involved surgery. I am supposed to see this surgeon on monday to discuss my options. Medication is barely touching my problem so hopefully the surgery will either cure me, or help a helluva a lot. Doesn't mean I'm not nervous about it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    I contacted a surgeon and have decided to go ahead with the surgery. They can do it endoscopically and from what I hear it's an in and out proceedure. However, they could also choose to do another, more involved surgery. I am supposed to see this surgeon on monday to discuss my options. Medication is barely touching my problem so hopefully the surgery will either cure me, or help a helluva a lot. Doesn't mean I'm not nervous about it though!
    Ah well good luck. I wish you a speedy recovery and a non n*/v* experience

Well the first, easy surgery is the one I am 95% sure I am getting. The second, more involved one causes about 45% of people the "problem" of never v*ing again. Seriously. I knew a guy that this happened to. They said on the site that it's a "Bad side effect" but frankly, I can see an up side to it, and I'm sure all of you can too! LoL! I can't believe someone would think not v*ing any more is a negative side effect!

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    Well the first, easy surgery is the one I am 95% sure I am getting. The second, more involved one causes about 45% of people the "problem" of never v*ing again. Seriously. I knew a guy that this happened to. They said on the site that it's a "Bad side effect" but frankly, I can see an up side to it, and I'm sure all of you can too! LoL! I can't believe someone would think not v*ing any more is a negative side effect!
    Yea that sounds awesome... I dont know why theyd consider that a negative side effect. Except if you NEED to v*. Like if you eat something poison....