Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Blocked sinuses?!

I've had a headache for nearly a month. I went to the doc's last week and he gave me some antibiotics as he thought I had a sinus infection. The headache seemed to improve a little but when I came off them was still there. And recently it's come back again worse. Now it's horrible, i have pain on one side of my head and my snot is bloody. But I quite often have bloody snot so i'm confused help. Sorry about the weird details :P

Default Re: Blocked sinuses?!

Anyone? Had any similar experiences? Any ideas? Panicing

Yes. I had a horrible cold from 12/18 through 1/5. It was a heavy cold with tons of coughing. Finally, it went away. The about three weeks later when I swallowed I noticed the gland on the side of my neck was swollen and it hurt. That was on a Saturday night. By Monday morning, I had a 102 fever and could not move my head because my sinuses were so painful. I made my way to the doctor who confirmed a sinus infection. She said that I had mucus in the back of my throat (I know this is totally gross and TMI). I could not see it, but she said it was there. She said there was fluid in both of my ears and that my sinus infection was not new. Apparently, it was part of the cold. Antibiotics knocked it out.

There is no doubt that you have a sinus infection.

Stella

I have had very similiar problems, including the bloody nose (which I also get often by the way). I haven't seen a doctor yet but I'm pretty sure its a sinus problem. Maybe you need to go back to the doctor because the antibiotics didn't kick the infection. Try not to panic, you're not going to v* from a sinus infection. I know how you're feeling and it sucks!

I've had a sinus problem for over a year now. Started with allergies, turned into an infection that lasted for months and I left it untreated for quite a while. Did a lot of research during this time and found that some people need a very long course of antibiotics. Sounds like you still might have an infection, or you might need a nasal spray to get rid of the congestion (I'm on one now).

And no, no nausea ever involved with the situation...just some dizziness when the infection was at its worst because my ears were all messed up.
    Last edited by alexikiss; 02-21-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks guys. I just thought if it was infection i'd have other symptoms? I do have a lot of trouble with my ears. But not with my sinuses yet? Anyone got MSN and fancy a chat? Could really do with one

You might not always have other symptoms, depending on how severe it is. The doctor recently said my ears were a bit congested, but I had no idea (aside from maybe occasional ringing).

Do you think i'll need antibiotics? Or just decongestants? Do you need antibiotics for the infection to go? ahhhh xxx

Quote Originally Posted by verityvee View Post
    Do you think i'll need antibiotics? Or just decongestants? Do you need antibiotics for the infection to go? ahhhh xxx
    I was given antibiotics but I didn't finish them (I know, bad!) but they were giving me cramps and making me nervous for emet reasons. I couldn't take decongestants because I have anxiety and I thought that would make it worse. But obviously both could be of a help to you, depending on what you're willing to do. I have head pain too and a sore sinus spot above my eye that comes and goes. I just went to the doctor and he didn't give me anything but a prescription for Nasonex because it's believed to be an allergy problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I've been struggling with what to do about my own sinus issues and I'm clueless. These things are not always easy to get rid of, depending on what's causing them.