Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I don't understand how all of my friends are just GREAT with throwing up...

It seems like EVERY single friend of mine just talks about throwing up like it's nothing. They'll just be carrying on a conversation and casually add "yeah, I threw up the other night a couple times, I think it was the food I ate..." and then they'll just start talking about shopping or something, they won't freak out and discuss it further. It just makes me frustrated. I want to be like that. When I v* I talk about it like crazy lol, it's true. I can tell you the time, where I was, what the experience was like...everything! Also I will talk about it like it was a big accomplishment, LOL. I know other Emets out there are like that too, right?! Anyways, just wanted to vent

Default Re: I don't understand how all of my friends are just GREAT with throwing up...

i feel just like you

Default Re: I don't understand how all of my friends are just GREAT with throwing up...

I understand...it's SO easy for everyone else, and I can't even talk about it sometimes. I was just telling my husband how jealous I am of him...if he doesn't feel good and thinks he is gonna v*, he just does....end of story! but me...well, it's a whoooole to do! whatevs, im fed up with this shit!
    *Melissa*

Ughhh same, one of my friends v*s a LOT when she gets stressed, headaches, tired, drunk, whatever, and she'll often say 'yeah i was sick a few times yesterday' as if she was saying 'yeah i tripped over a few times yesterday' or something! I've learnt not to be scared of her, but its like WOW. I almost admire them.
    But then its like, my brother is terrified of heights, and I LOVE high places, he does not get how I don't freak out everytime I'm up somewhere high. I suppose it s the same with every fear really! only with emet, we're kinda scared of ourselves...
    "Here in the final draft, I've given all I have,
    Strange how the heart expands in the absence of a plan,
    There's nothing left on the page but I'm okay with that,
    I found my resolution was designed for stronger hands"

Same here. I have friends who I'll be talking to on AIM who excuse themselves to go get sick. Or they tell me they had a SV one day and then the next day I see a Facebook status, "Woohoo, let's go out tonight!" and drinking alcohol and eating. I do have a couple of friends who rarely get sick and if they do, they'll mention it like being out of the ordinary, but it will still be no big deal. I guess to some poeple, it's like taking a crap. hahaha

But I guess when you think about it, there are people who are terrified of leaving their house, driving alone...things we do every day. Yeah, but none of these things are as disgusting as v* so I just can't compare it...

my friends are the same way, it's as casual as can be too... yesterday at work my co-worker was like "yeah i sat up in bed and v* all over my sheets" (which actually happened to me and traumatized me when i was younger) it was so hard not to freak out but I was in my head for quite a few hours :/

I agree with Alexikiss, there are other phobias that we would consider normal everyday things... but there's just something about v* that makes me think it's kind of an exception because it's not a normal everyday thing.. ya know?

I agree completely, I just don't get how they can have a sv* and then eat chinese the next morning and it jst doesnt phase them...for me and im sure everyone else on here its like a very long anxiety process. I wish I could be one of those people who says "ooh I feel n* be right back and be fine...instead mt heart races my face gets hot my hear palpitates i cry...its jst awful...can't wait for a vaccine!!!

On the flip side of things...although no one likely enjoys being sick, can we maybe try to find some consolation in the fact that there are people who think it is no big deal? If it was truly a horrific tragedy to experience, not one person would be nonchalant about it. This would reinforce our fears even more. But by being friends with these carefree people, it's actually a good thing! Still...there's the logical part of our brain that knows this to be true, and the baby/idiot side that is still going to be fearful regardless. It's hard to play mind games on yourself.

i'm envious of people that can do that......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I totally understand, I wish I could be like that. Just let it pass like it was nothing, to me its the most terrifying thing ever. But its true that without these kind of people then everyone would be scared, they kind of make you think sometimes like "Hey, they went through it , maybe it really wasn't all that bad, maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it then it really is"

I know right!!! I find the irony in the fact my friends WANT to get sick so that they can get a day off school but I'm afraid of going to school in case I get sick..... IRONY.... My sister makes herself sick if she gets a headache cos she says it gets rid of it and feels good after, how does she do it??? I wish I could be like that, perhaps it is my aim, to be fine with it

OH GOD!!! I can`t stand the way people brag about V**ing, as if it was something really clever, & they just love to tell you in graphic detail all about their latest stomach bug or whatever they had wrong with them. It is so gross!

I agree, I don't even understand how people can be bulimic but that's not really for me to judge. I guess people who do v* every year or frequently from alcohol just get used to the feeling and know they'll feel so much better afterwards. I just don't see how anyone can find it not traumatizing.

Quote Originally Posted by pretendworld_ View Post
    I agree, I don't even understand how people can be bulimic but that's not really for me to judge. I guess people who do v* every year or frequently from alcohol just get used to the feeling and know they'll feel so much better afterwards. I just don't see how anyone can find it not traumatizing.
    Surprisingly enough, I was actually an emetophobic purging type anorexic for most of high school. I honestly don't know how I did it, but I guess in the moment the fear of food was greater than the fear of v*? It was always very traumatizing, and I would have anxiety and panic for hours afterwayds. Not good.