Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default son got sv aagain!!

My 8 year old has another sv! He has had one every year in February for the past few years and it has been horrendous. He v* 15 times last night and now my hands are red raw from cleaning. The washing machine is still on. After every time that he v* I used so much bleach and I wore a face mask but I am still completely panicked that I will catch it and I have an older son who I have banished to his bedroom and giving him meals up there, but he hasn't been ill with an sv for 4 years so I know time could soon be up. I am now not eating for days and I am a wreck! Do you guys I might be ok? I am so scared!!

Default Re: son got sv aagain!!

Hi,
    Just to give you some hope my 6 year old daughter has a severe SV in Dec/Jan (she threw up day and night for almost 5 days all over new year!) It was awful, my anxiety and panic was the worst its ever been. I bleached like mad, washed our hands after every episode and wore a tshirt tied round my face (I have since purchased face masks lol) and I didn't catch it!!!!! And nor did my hubby or 2 year old and hubby was doing a lot of the bucket holding etc and is nowhere near as 'hygenic' as me!

I know this is easy to say and hard to do but please try to eat a little - I didn't and ended up very very close to fainting on the 3rd day (blurred vision, fuzzing in ears and collapsed to the floor - not nice). You need to keep your health up honey xx

Take care xx
    Those who are brave may not live forever, but those who are cautious do not live at all xx

Thank you Aimee...I know you are so right as last year when he got it he threw up 11 times and none of us got it. My husband sounds like yours as he does the bucket holding and I do the cleaning but he was getting cross with me last night telling me to just leave it and do it in the morning...yea right. My boys are now apart in separate bedrooms and eldest one will have his tea there! I want this nightmare over....counting the days and the bottles of bleach! x

Is your son feeling any better now? I really hope its all over for you soon.
    Keeping the kids seperate and the cleaning going is the best thing.

How are your hands? I'm guilty of scrubbing them til they bleed and are so sore but I read something on here a few weeks ago that made me think a bit, apparently germs are harder to wash off of dry cracked hands (I guess it stands to reason that they get in the cracks) so while i haven't really cut back on the handwashing I have invested in a really good hand moisturiser and use it often - just something I thought I'd share xx

Message me anytime - I'm on here every day at some point.
    Stay healthy xx

PS where are you from? (if you dont mind me asking)
    Those who are brave may not live forever, but those who are cautious do not live at all xx

Hi Aimee,

Son is very quiet and tearful. He has just had some dry bread and will go to bed in a couple of hours. After washing all day I have now just put my bottom sheet in the machine as I keep thinking I could have walked on some germs and transferred them back to bed! As you can see I am not in the right frame of mind.......my hands are raw and I have a cut with a plaster on it now but I do moisturise as well so thanks for the tip!

I am from Kent....I see you are just over the water??

It also makes it harder for me as my husband does shift work and I freak every time hes on a nightshift and I listen for every tiny sound. This takes over my whole life and is so very draining. I wish it would end

Yeah I'm an essex girl - ha!ha!

My hubby works permanent nights. I know exactly how you feel on that one. Every time one of the kids coughs or shifts around in their sleep I'm gripped with terror! I love weekends!!!

Sending my eldest to school every day is a big thing for me too - dont get me wrong I always send her but if I hear something is going round or one of her close friends is unwell its so tempting to keep her safely tucked up at home. This phobia makes life such a battle doesn't it!

Have you ever had therapy or been on medication for all of this? I finally bit the bullet and asked for help after the nightmare of new year and am waiting to start therapy - was assessed as having anxiety and OCD along with emet - god knows what they're gonna do with me! xx

I had hypnotherapy years ago but it never worked. I figure I am (weirdly) kinda happy just dealing with it my way. I don't care what people think because when it is happening I just do what I have to do to get through it. Only my immediate family know although I have friends who don't "do" sick but I know they are nothing like me.

If I knew I wasn't gonna get it I would be able to deal with the svs from my children, my morbid fear of me catching it destroys everything and turns me into a selfish awful mother I'm sure. (I hate myself for that)

I figure I need to wait until FRi night to be in tha clear as son caught it from school on Tues and got it Wed night. Tues was first day back and we had been nowhere over half term and his best friend from school was ill at exactly the same time so short incubation period this one I figure.

I am a strong dynamic person in every over sense and I cannot believe what this emet does to me.

The main reason for me seeking treatment/help now is for my children. I dont want them to see me panicked and stressed. Its also been making me avoid things more lately like indoor play areas, eating out, parties, play dates etc etc so its already indirectly affecting them in a few ways.

I really dont wanna be put on meds - I'm determined to do it by mind over matter!

Do you know how/when your emet started? I've always been a bit of a germaphobe shall we say but it only really took hold and got serious after I had my children.

By fri night you can definately count yourself in the clear. I'm sure the cleaning and hand washing will have kept you safe from catching it hun xx

I have vague recollectionn of a particular bad v* experience when I was about 9. I am sure that's when it started but I can't be sure.

I think you are right...the kids are the most important thing. I too avoid play centres for sure...they really are a breeding ground and luckily mine are a bit older now so want other things. My biggest fear is that will end up like me if they got through last night without him.

My hands are painful!!

xxxx

I bet they are - have you ever tried smothering them in moisturiser and putting cotton gloves on over night (socks would work just as well lol) - really helps my hands!

Has your son settled down for the night ok? I really hope he's feeling better and that you are feeling more relaxed.
    When my daughter had it back in Jan I felt like I was seriously going mad - I felt totally trapped and doomed to get it! The only thing that proved a slight distraction was reading - I got through 3 thick novels in 5 days - I found whis I was reading I was not obsessing! (as much!) xx

Yes he is asleep now....bless him.

Thank you for your support....I do feel like I am going mad and I still terrified and will be for a few days yet.....hubby just come in and told me off for wearing the mask last night but he needs to understand that's how I deal with it.

Will wear gloves tonight like you say...I look about 100 if you just saw my hands!

Lisalouxxx

Yeah my other half had a moan about me having my tshirt tied round my face (he thought it would scare the kids/freak them out), I guess he has a point but I kinda made light of it to my daughter and said I was doing it because I didn't like the smell!!! We do what we have to do. Its surely better that you do that so you can be there for your son rather than panic so much that you have to stay away from him all together xx

Try to relax a bit and enjoy your evening. Let me know how you all are tomorrow xx

Amie

Well, we made it through the night unscathed but I am still exhausted as any noise I was SO awake so hardly slept again......counting the hours until I hope to be in the clear....Son doing Ok, just tired and quiet. Gutted I am missing my eldest son do a reading today for the whole school and parents because of childcare....all because some selfish parent sent their child to school with an SV spreading germs to all and sundry.....there is a 48hr rule in our school but noone sticks to it!! Waste of time educating these people.......xx

Hello!

Really hope you're all still doing well. Maybe you'll get to catch up on some sleep over the weekend xx
    Shame about you missing your eldest sons thing at school, was he upset you couldn't be there?

This is a really selfish thing to say but I wish the whole human race was emet......we could irradicate SV's forever!!!! If only!!!!

Hi!

Made it through another night....surely I am in the clear now??

xxx.......still cleaning!!!