Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Noro vaccine

Smile Noro vaccine

Appologies if this has already been posted but i just saw this:

http://www.gaia-health.com/articles1...orovirus.shtml

dont know if link works tho
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

Default Re: Noro vaccine

Interesting! But I'm going to follow the advice of the article and not jump to get it! Norovirus is much more easier to avoid then most illnesses, and who knows, something new like that could end up making you even more ill then the orginal thing it's meant to protect against!
    I'm guilty of being innocent
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It seems to be moving about quicker than I thought! I'm sure as more goes on we'll have more info about side effects and rate of actually getting sick from the vaccine. In every vaccine I ever had (flu and even the h1n1) I never got sick. The most I ever felt was a sore arm or a slight headache (from the h1n1 vaccine because I had to get the flumist so just having something go up my nose gave me a headache) I have faith in this, it seems promising in my opinion.

I got a fever from the h1n1 vaccine but it was much better to only be sick for one day (Ive had the real flu and it knocks you out). It also takes away the suddeness of it all, I had it done on a Saturday and when I was ill Sunday my husband helped with the baby and let me rest in bed. I would get the vaccination even if it made me a bit sick because at least that way I would know WHEN I would be ill and also not as much.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"Even if the norovirus vaccine should prove to be effective in 100% of the people who receive it, that would still protect against only 36% of gastroenteritis cases"

This still terrifies me.

Yeah but noro is to gastro as a the flu is to a cold... I'm ok with the idea of v* once with some d* and n*. But noro is full on awful, Ive had it and I don't like the idea of having it again. Everything else is liveable to me.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

The article doesn't sound very trustworthy; I'd wait for it to come out, and then look up the peer reviewed medical journal articles and see what they say.

Like if you go to the main page, it's all conspiracies and negative views. I don't think the world is quite as bad as some people make it out to be.

.....but I do hope they are right about it coming out soon.....I did a quick search and I found an article that said they were about to do a clinical trial of the vaccine which included a "live virus challange".....So they will have an idea about how effective it is.
    Last edited by amarkham01; 03-10-2010 at 06:25 PM.

@ Pretendworld....Only 36% of gastro cases???? Where did u here that from? I thought that noro was the cause of almost ALL of the cases of gastroenteritis...Oh god PLEASE tell me that its not true...I was SOOOO looking forward to the vaccine coming out but now im wondering,..will it even prevent ANYTHING??? By the way,...What causes all of the OTHER cases of gastro??
    Last edited by triciamassey; 03-10-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Make me whole again....

There are lots of other sorts of gastro cases but the biggy being norovirus as its so debilitating. A lot of cases are down to rotavirus in which we all most likely have some immunity to.. we are not talking just viral here, a lot of cases are bacterial, bacterial toxins, parasites etc etc..
    there are tons of different sorts of gastroeneritis. google it
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

That info I posted is on the link. I certainly believe noro is to blame for the majority of gastro cases, but as also mentioned there is rotavirus which is extremely common, as well as many other ''bugs''. But noro is the one that is a big problem. I wouldn't feel much safer if I got the vaccine though because obviously you aren't protected against every form of s*v*.

Yeah but what are the other forms of s.v.'s besides rotavirus and ive also heard of astrovirus but they say it mainly infects children....What else is there?
    Make me whole again....

I think if you were to be able to cut out norovirus you would never v* unless you had some more serious medical condition or got food poisoning. I don't like the anti vaccine stuff, in my opinion vaccines are one of humankind's better achievments, such as erradicating polio and small pox and reducing the amount of death from seasonal flu.

Yeah but im also worried about my children vomitting and i read that astrovirus was a cause for alot of cases of gastro in children...I mean, is astro very common or is it mainly noro?
    Make me whole again....

Noro is the most common cause of gasto at 36%.. rota virus would be a very close second.. In that remainder 64% you have got things like : Food allergies, improper diet, food poisening, excessive alcohol or tobacco can lead to gastroenteritis, viral infections, bacterial infections, intestinal parasites and stress and certain types of medication..
    ALL of these come under different types of gastroenteritis believe it or not.

But if you think about it, if u take noro out of the equasion then there is not that much to worry about, most of us dont drink excessivley, most of us are peticular with what we eat so that rules out food poisening, intestinal parasites are from raw or undercooked meat or dirty drinking water so i think we are realtivley safe.. the only other worry is rota virus which is mild in adults anyway.

Just my view on it tho x

Does anyone have ANY clue when the vaccine may be available though? Please tell me it will be soon...
    Make me whole again....

Well they have already marketed this vaccine so it cant be too far off..

I can't wait for it! I just wonder how many people (besides us emets) will be lined up to get it. A lot of people are opposed to vaccines in general and have various beliefs...whatever. I am definitely getting shot up with that one.

You have to excuse me but im kind of dense..lol What does that mean "they have already marketed this vaccine"....And ive heard that it could take like another 5 to 10 years before its available...Do you feel it will be sooner? Like maybe at the end of this year? Im sorry for all of the stupid questions but ive asked these questions on here before and never really got a response and i am probably one of the biggest emets youll ever find so i am soooo ready for this vaccine!!!!!!! Please can someone just kind of explain the phases of the clinical trials and exactly how far this one may be off... PLEASE!!!
    Make me whole again....

I am in no way afraid of having influenza, but I would really prefer not to have it and get the shot every year. I assume non-emets feel the same about noro so I think about as many of them would get the shot as who would get the flu shot. I myself would feel a lot better if i could get a noro shot too. I am trying to cure my emet, and although I'm getting ok with the idea of v*, I don't know if I"ll ever stop being afraid of getting noro because it's just so terrible and sudden.

I think it's likely to be several years yet before it will actually become available. I have no idea about the actual process they have to go through until it's considered safe and effective, but I would think one of the main problems is that there are many different strains of noro - how do you vaccinate against ALL of them?