Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy I feel trapped, with no relief in sight

I have never had a fear of this before I had my son 3 years ago. I am constantly worrying that he is going to get the stomach bug with v*. I don't know how I developed this and I don't know why, but I feel like I'm never going to be "normal" again. It's so bad that I watch what I feed my son because I have to know what it's going to look like when it comes back up. I'm constantly asking him if his tummy hurts or he feels yucky. Anytime I hear that its going around or someone that we know as it, I go into extreme panic mode. I think that he is catching it. It's the anticipation leading up to him getting it. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the time nothing ever happens and I know that, but my mind just races and panics. I know that he is a kid and it's inevitable that he will get sick, but there is something about it that I just can't handle. When he has gotten sick in the past, I have been fine once it happened, but like I said before, it's the anticipation leading up to it. I have done so much research on the stomach bug and know that it's not airborne - he has to ingest it somehow. I try and get him to wash his hands all of the time, but he's a kid - he refuses most of the time. My hands are cracked and bleeding because I wash them all of the time. I'm also terrified that my husband or I will get it too, but not as terrified as I am for my son. I watch what clothes he picks out in the morning because i associate certain things with v*, certain colors. I won't let him put pants on that are too tight because I'm afraid his tummy will start hurting. We won't go to certain resturants because I'm afraid if he eats sphagetti for instance, he will throw it up and the consistance and color will be horrific. I could go on and on, but not enough time in the day. I have no idea what to do.....I have tried numerous medicines, talking to a counselor, nothing seems to work. What am I going to do????

Default Re: I feel trapped, with no relief in sight

i don't have any kids.....but i do know that for me the anticipation is the worst......since you've already been through him being sick and you said it wasn't so bad....try and keep that in mind and let him be a kid.......chances are he's not going to be sick....i'm sure you keep him washed down when he's been around others and that will keep him well.

not much help.....sorry......and welcome
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.