Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I'm gonna do it

Default I'm gonna do it

I know a few of you mentioned there being a lack of success stories on here and I know many of you are inspired by the things that are posted here. I did post this already on the thread regarding this topic (the two airplane ones)...but I wanted to let you all know that I decided to go ahead on the trip after all. I leave on Tuesday morning and I return on Saturday. I just realized how fast it is creeping up!

To refresh anyone's memory, my main fear was being trapped on the plane and having to witness someone be sick or have someone be sick ON me. I would Google excessively for stories like these (seek and you shall find!) and I actually psyched myself out of a trip last summer because of this behavior. I am also afraid of feeling ill myself, but I did fly last spring (same time/same place) without incident and I was not nauseated (although maybe disorientated/overmedicated, haha).

It seems like I've managed to worry about everything possible regarding this trip - from what I should bring, to what if they lose my luggage and I'm stuck wearing winter clothes in 80 degree weather, to what if I catch a cold, norovirus...yeah, I went through it all. But you know what, I'm doing it anyway. And whatever happens, happens. All I can do is make the best of it. My last trip included a couple of unimagined, unplanned fiascos and I dealt with it. I still came home knowing I had a great time. And now those stories are funny! I was so proud of myself for going through with it, I hadn't felt that good about myself in a long time. I look forward to having that feeling again.

I thank all of you on here who posted in response to the airplane threads. All of your posts helped me feel better about this. I am still scared, but I am doing it anyway. So, I hope this inspires someone. And I hope that after it's all said and done, I can come on here and let you guys know how it went and hopefully my experience will help someone with their own challenge.
    Last edited by alexikiss; 03-11-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Default Re: I'm gonna do it

I have flown countless times for work and pleasure and nobody ever seemed to be sick anywhere near me. Airsickness is not as common as you think and the most likely thing you'll catch on a plane is a cold.
    Good for you and have a great time!!!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

Where are you headed Alexikiss? Glad to hear you aren't letting Emet stop you....life is to be enjoyed not constant worry.

Thanks for your reassurance, lisalulu. I will add it to all of the other posts I got, basically stating the same thing...

Jkl81, I will be going to Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona. And looking forward to the warmer weather, that's for sure!

have a great trip...I travel all the time and I never have seen anyone ill on a plane...well actually once but she was really drunk...so that doesnt count...have a great time

Thanks, Ann! Yeah, that doesn't really count. And in that case, I'd already have had a seat change and/or slapped her. Haha

hahaha I felt like it...I was SO mad...But it happened after we landed, so weird...and I was in the last row and she got up and went into the bathroom...I just sat back down and closed my eyes and ears...and I was so mad...I just gave her a nasty glare when she came out and then said...are you ok? hahahaha

Have a wonderful time! I could really use some warm weather about now too...it's colder in Vancouver this week than it was during the whole winter Olympics...ha ha ha.

I've flown lots and my husband flies every month for the past 20 years. Neither of us have ever seen anyone sick on a plane. It's probably as rare as any other place with 200 people in it.

Think not of it...just enjoy your trip!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ohh, that's not so bad, Ann! Could have been worse! At least the flight was over and she did go into the bathroom. What everyone does in the bathroom is their own business and I don't need to know about it, haha.

Thank you, Sage! I hear you - we had several severe snow storms here in recent weeks and I would have loved to have been away for those. 80 degrees is going to be very good to me! I appreciate your reassurance as well. I get nervous on and off about it (flying in general makes me uneasy regardless; I'm not too seasoned), but I like knowing I can come here and read over these comments when I need to.