Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Norovirus vaccine

"They found a way to make tobacco produce a protein that can be used to make a nasal vaccine against norovirus, which causes diarrhea and vomiting, especially on cruise ships, in restaurants, schools and on military bases.
    "Under appropriate medical care it is not life-threatening. It is just very, very inconvenient," Charles Arntzen, a plant biologist at Arizona State University, told a news conference at a meeting of the American Chemical Society.
    The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 23 million cases a year of acute gastroenteritis -- stomach and intestinal upset -- are due to norovirus, also known as Norwalk virus.
    Arntzen and colleagues used a genetically engineered plant virus called the tobacco mosaic virus to start their vaccine.
    "We force it to make the protein which is the vaccine against norovirus," Arntzen told the news conference. "We call them nanoparticle vaccines because the protein we produce in our tobacco plant self-assembles into a little round ball."
    The immune system recognizes this ball, called a virus-like particle or a capsid, as if it were a virus and attacks it, Arntzen said. "It is empty. It cannot cause disease," he said.
    Tests have suggested the vaccine would work better in the nose than taken orally, probably because immune cells in the nasal passages are more inclined to take up the vaccine.
    PREPARING TESTS
    Arntzen said his team has U.S. National Institutes of Health support for a clinical trial in people. "But we have been waiting until we can get the best formulation," he said.
    ImmuneRegen BioSciences, Inc., a subsidiary of IR BioSciences Holdings Inc, said on Tuesday it had a collaborative relationship with Arizona State University to use its immune system booster Viprovex with the vaccine.
    Arntzen, who has also tested potato-based vaccines, noted that other teams are making plant-based vaccines.
    A team at Stanford University reported last year it used tobacco to make a so-called therapeutic vaccine to treat a type of blood cancer called non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
    "I would say 2009-2010 are going to be breakthrough years for plant technology in the vaccine field," Arntzen said.
    He is not sure of the potential market for his vaccine.
    "It probably will be an electable vaccine -- that is, adults will choose to buy it. It is not something that doctors will tell them they must have."
    Hospitals, travelers and the military are potential customers, he said. Norovirus sticks to surfaces well and can live a long time unless thoroughly cleaned off.
    "If someone has diarrhea and they touch a doorknob or something the next person walking through has a very good chance of picking up that disease," Arntzen said.
    The technology could be applied to other vaccines, Arntzen said -- an issue that has become important as companies race to make vaccines against the new pandemic H1N1 swine flu virus. Making influenza vaccines in eggs takes five to six months.
    Plants grow quickly and Arntzen said enough vaccine for clinical trials could be ready within eight to 10 weeks. Vaccine maker Novavax Inc. said on Tuesday it made its H1N1 vaccine, which uses virus-like particles grown in caterpillar cells, in four weeks."

I found this information about noro vaccines for anyone who was wondering about it! Enjoy

Default Re: Norovirus vaccine

WOW thats great. My husband is a Marine...He is around sick guys all the time becasue they have to be tough and come into work sick...I get so frustrated...They should make it madatory for the military hahaha, so their spouses with emet no longer have to worry! hahaha. I know I will get this vaccine if the side effects are bearable!

Ohhhhh wouldn't this be our life saver? We could actually feel at eaaaaase? Although I'm one of those who are veery skeptical of new vaccines. There are so many tests to be done, and retests, and retests. I am in community health and learn all this type stuff.. I wouldn't even get the H1N1 vaccine.
    This is interesting though. Thanks for sharing!
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did do the h1n1 vaccine...at first i was very concerned and wasnt going to do it...but i have to be honest, since vomitting was one of the symptoms I couldnt take the chance. I also got it for my kiddos. We were all ok in the short term, but who knows the long term affects. I just had a friend pass on from h1n1 and I have a friend who is the head of the icu at nyu (she was not going to get the vaccine) BUT, she did share the risks and all of the complications, so I decided to get it for my family. It will be in with the regular flu vaccine next year anyway. I have loads of family friends that are dr's and some family memebers and on a personal level talking to them, they told me to go ahead and get it...I guess we shall see what the future holds!

I wouldn't get it for the futuristic reason. I also had a friend who got the shot and was V* for 24 hours. ICK
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

got the h1n1 vaccine and puked from it? oh man...thanks god none of us had any side effects, not anyone in my family of 4...I wonder if it was a coincidence and picked something else up as well...maybe when she went in to the drs office wherever she got it...scary though.

It was actually at my school, they gave it out free at a Health fair that my entire class was working. About half the class got the shot. She came back in after the weekend and told me not to get it because she was so sick from it. But yeah should have picked it up from work? Coincidences can happen, but people tend to believe its from the vaccine when its so close in time

i know, to be honest i hear that all the time...like I got the flu shot and I got the flu...It truley is impossible, they can have side effects, but even the "live virus vaccine" is SO incredibly mild that there is no way...it is truley coincidental...

I got the h1n1 vaccine and I didn't get sick from it, neither did my boyfriend or my friend who had it done too, and we had the flu mist which is the "live" strain. Maybe they were sick from something else?

Ok guys,
    So, suppose a side effect of this vaccine is N* or v*, would you rather...
    A) get the vaccine and V* a few times or be n* for a little while, and never worry about doing it again. or
    B) not get the vaccine because you're afraid of the side effects and stay an emet?

I don't know about you guys, but I pick A

I'd choose B because there is a possibility of not catching it at all. And I have gotten the regular flu shot only 2 times because each time I got super sick from right after I got it. I doubt it was a conicidence because I never get the flu, and when I got the shot, I got it. Useless

Are you sure it wasn't a really bad cold or maybe something else? and NOT the flu? I've gotten the shot, never had any side effects and never gotten the flu

I promise you it was a coincidence...You absolutely CAN NOT get the flu or a virus from a vaccine, you can have side effects but not the full blown virus it is impossible especially if it is a dead virus...

But to answer your first question I am not sure if I would chose a or b...if I got diarrhea I would get it for sure...but vomitting no not likely...But I have never ever heard of any vaccine causing vomitting...maybe side effects in kids, but they vomit from everything.

Im not too sure that i believe that it is a coincidence......My 3 year old son got the flu mist this year and last year and both times he had the SAME symptoms of fever and he v* once both times also....This happened both times about a day or two after he got the flu mist...Im so ready for this vaccine by the way! I hope its available very soon!
    Make me whole again....

I really hate the way the news makes people believe that vaccines will cause illness.

They don't. Unless you get a nasal vaccine when your immune system is somehow compromised (already sick, really young or really old), there is NO WAY vaccines can give off unpleasant side effects.

This myth that vaccine are dangerous has almost reach conspiracy theory levels...

Rant over.

I wonder when this will come out. Probably not for another few years...

<- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet

I'll believe it when I see it. Nausea and v* are a side effect of everything, and since we're talking about a vaccine for a virus that causes nausea and v* if those are likely side effects it won't be picked up and sold. It's one thing to expose yourself to the risk of those symptoms when the risks of getting the disease are even more serious.

Im sure those 2 things would be a side effect for the rotovirus vaccine the side effects are nausea diarrhea upset stomach and vommiting. my kids had none...It truley depends on the person...

And Like I said before it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the virus from a vaccine, even a "live" vaccine. You can definately get side effects that are similiar BUT IT IS NOT THE VIRUS (i.e. flu, h1n1).

Wow. I've been praying for this vaccine for years!!! Alialara, I pick option A as well, because if you'd never have to worry about it again, it would be great. But I think this vaccine would have to be re formulated every season, like the flu shot. Becuase there are different strands of the flu virus and there are different strands of this virus too. So if I had to do it every year, or every sv season, I don't know what i'd pick.

Does anyone know if they would have to re formulate this vaccine? I'm in nursing school and that sounds right to me but who knows?

I do want to add though, that since I have never reacted to any other vacines I wouldn't be too afraid of having a reaction to this one either. I think if you have been fine with others you'd probably be fine with this one too. Again, just my opinion.

I want to know how long everyone thinks it will be before the vaccine is available!!!?????
    Make me whole again....