Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OH NO! I'm Getting Addicted to My AntiEmetic Medicine

I was recently diagnosed with Acid Reflux and given Prilosec OCT to help with it. Well, before I started taking the Prilosec I was having severe nausea because I was eating all the WRONG foods (never knowing I had acid reflux) so the doctor gave me two nausea medicines to try to help until the Prilosec kicked in. They are 'Zofran' and 'Promethazine', I love them both (lol, I'll admit it). I carry the Zofran in my purse because the tablets dissolve on your tongue and you don't need water to take it like the Promethazine so I feel like it's my backup 'just in case' I ever feel sick, but I think the Promethazine works better. Anyways, now I've gotten where ANYTIME I feel even a slight stomach ache I run to one of those medicines! I'm becoming dependent on them and I know it's not good. Also, I've noticed it's like taking 'Pepto-Bismol' they totally makes you constipated (not fun). I know there's others on here taking these medicines....do you guys have the same problems?!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Default Re: OH NO! I'm Getting Addicted to My AntiEmetic Medicine

Now I'm too afraid of my body getting used to it, and it not working when I REALLY need it. But I have been there in the past.

I first bought Phenergan late last year (probably October-ish) and went through an entire pack (50 tablets) in four months. To me that's a lot and like you, I was taking them whenever I felt the tiniest bit s*. I think only one time that I actually took them I might've been s* without it...but the other times were obviously just anxiety. I don't really know what to say about how to stop it...I just fear the effectiveness won't be as good if and when I REALLY do need to take something. Next time you feel a little n* why not wait half an hour before taking anything, and if then you're still feeling n* go for the Zofran because it'll absorb quicker. Or you could try peppermint tea/ginger capsules/ginger ale etc. I don't know what pepto-bismol is because we don't have it here but from what I've heard, it's pretty harmless.

I sometimes feel like I'm addicted to my anti-emetics as well. I honestly always carry them on me and if I feel the slightest bit of N* or anything, I immediatley pop one. I'm beginning to think it's more of a placebo effect lol. I just started taking an anti-anxiety med though so now I've been taking one of those instead when I feel sick and if that helps me then thats how I'm sure it's anxiety and I'm not sick!
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have had gastritis for several years and was put on nexium and then switched to prilosec OTC because I was told that 2 of them equal 1 nexium and they are cheaper. So I continued to stay on them for 3 years. I recently began experiencing terrible painful bloating and nausea every day. I started researching about prilosec long term use and my suspicions were right, the prilosec started causing me to bloat, gain weight, retain water and nausea. I began taking phenergan non-stop but hated that I was relying on them. A lot of the time anxiety was in play more than the actual gastritis I think. So, recently about a month ago I began weaning myself off of prilosec and put myself on a bland diet and many small meals throughout the day instead of big ones, also cut out coffee, spices,etc. I discovered these ginger chewables that seem to take away my nausea instantly and also is supposed to help heal the stomach lining. I also began drinking coconut water due to the healing power of it. Now, I have gotten to where I only take Zantac twice a day along with DGL (another stomach healer). I'm hoping to be able to drop the Zantac and heal my gastritis eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiekoko View Post
    I have had gastritis for several years and was put on nexium and then switched to prilosec OTC because I was told that 2 of them equal 1 nexium and they are cheaper. So I continued to stay on them for 3 years. I recently began experiencing terrible painful bloating and nausea every day. I started researching about prilosec long term use and my suspicions were right, the prilosec started causing me to bloat, gain weight, retain water and nausea. I began taking phenergan non-stop but hated that I was relying on them. A lot of the time anxiety was in play more than the actual gastritis I think. So, recently about a month ago I began weaning myself off of prilosec and put myself on a bland diet and many small meals throughout the day instead of big ones, also cut out coffee, spices,etc. I discovered these ginger chewables that seem to take away my nausea instantly and also is supposed to help heal the stomach lining. I also began drinking coconut water due to the healing power of it. Now, I have gotten to where I only take Zantac twice a day along with DGL (another stomach healer). I'm hoping to be able to drop the Zantac and heal my gastritis eventually.

I also take DGL!! I think it has definitely helped! I also suffer from really bad acid reflux and indigestion. But I would also say Im dependent on my phenergan as well....anytime I feel sick I pop 1/2 a pill (they make me super sleeeepy) but I have been trying to "tough out" the feeling of nausea because more times than not its just anxiety. I was thinking of getting some ginger capsules....are they worth trying?
    "This too shall pass"

I take these ginger type chewables that come in a tin container, kind of like mints do. You suck on them and they dissolve. I've been impressed with how well they really work for me. I saw them in the health food store where I go and already knew that ginger was supposedly good for nausea so I decided to give them a try, not really expecting them to really help, but was pleasantly surprised how they worked. I had to really get used to the taste though, just very different.
    I haven't been taking the phenergan here lately, don't like the drowsy feeling. Since my last post, I have gone down to just 1 zantac a day. Not much nausea anymore, thank goodness. I'm really working on the anxiety issue.

Try a week ban... then you might forget all about them... I dunno but thats what I did when I started to get addicted to paracetomol good luck xx

When i first got prescribed cyclizine i went through the bottle within a few weeks, but what stopped me in my tracks was someone on here pointing out that antiemetics become less effective when taken regularly and that therefore one day when i might genuinely need them they would probably not work, and form that day on (which was about a year ago) i have only taken about 2 tablets. Every time i think of reaching for them i just think, well i'll give it half an hour and if i feel worse i'll take one and by then the panics normally over, don't just reach for them at the first hint of nausea. Try sucking on a mint or snifffing peppermint oil or something natural as an alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I also carry around Odansetron (Zofran generic) with me EVERYWHERE - I get so nervous without it. There's a really good pressure point and breathing exercise that work well for me in combination, if I've already taken meds. It's kind of complicated to explain, so bear with me. The pressure point is near the web between your index finger and thumb. If you feel by where the V meets, there's like an indent on the finger side. Take your opposite thumb and kind of push up into it. It'll probably ache a bit but it really, really takes the edge off when you're feeling super sick. If it hurts too bad, you can also just rub the webbing area muscle. Some sites say don't do it while pregnant, but I'm not really sure why so you'd have to ask a doctor. For breathing, breathing in through your nose and out your mouth is supposed to make you not v*. Also not sure why, but it helps.