Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Advice, anyone?

Default Advice, anyone?

My roommate's 21st birthday is coming up in July, and she'll definitely want to hit the bars. There are two problems: she has one of the most sensitive stomachs of anyone I know (and throws up nearly every time she drinks too much), and she was responsible and took care of me for my 21st birthday (even though I never get sick, she stayed sober and had my back). I want nothing more than to stay sober and be responsible for her, but when she's thrown up in the past I've basically ditched her.

It looks like I have a few options: be out of town for her birthday (which would be mean), tell someone about my fear and recruit him/her to help me take care of her, get really drunk and just hope I'll be "chilled out" enough to deal with it, or take some kind of OTC version of Valium or something so I'll calm down. My phobia has become a lot more bearable and I've never had to take any drugs for it, but just the thought of having to hold someone's hair back while they're bent over the toilet is enough to give me a small panic attack. What should I do?

Default Re: Advice, anyone?

I think as you're living with your room mate it may be better to come clean with her, if you can get her to understand there'll be nothing to worry about, and maybe get someone else to come along as you said who can take care of her if she's ill, but it would be better to tell her the truth rather then just recruiting someone because she may wonder why you keep seeingly "ditch" her. Good luck!
    I'm guilty of being innocent
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Advice, anyone?

i would let her know that you aren't sure you can help her if she gets sick.........there are lots of non-emets that don't want to be around it either.

i dont think you need to tell her your whole history if you dont feel like it.....

i'm sure she would appreciate knowing ahead of time......or maybe you could ask another friend to help you.....

i'm sure she'll understand...
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.