Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm getting assessed today, what treatment would you reccomend??

Hey All

I've finally managed to get referred by my doctor to see a psycharist this morning for my emotophobia who will then assess me and say what course of action needs to be taken.

I don't want to be fobbed off and he has already told me on the phone too look at websites! I want to try hypnothearpy as I understand that has good success rates but would anyone recommend anything else???

Julia135

Default Re: I'm getting assessed today, what treatment would you reccomend??

1. CBT
    2. Exposure
    3. Relaxation techniques
    Good luck!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

Hi

Thanks so mcuh for your reply.

What is CBT?
    I'm also really against exposure techniques as I feel I would just run out of the room and I've waited for nearly 2 years for this appointment.

Have you had success with the above techniques?

CBT is cognitive behavioral therapy. It helps you change you negative thought patterns and behaviors that perpetuate the fear.
    Exposure is scary but not that bad if you do it in small steps. You can start as easy as you want- looking at cartoon vomit or even easier steps. I'm now looking at things that made me scream and cry last year with no problem now. You just need to work out a reasonable treatment plan. PM me if you want more help with it. Hopefully you get a good therapist!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

I swear by Hypnotherapy because it turned my fear and attitude towards it completely around. However, I haven't tried any of the other therapies, and hypno only works if you really truly believe it will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I too have heard good things about CBT. I just got my appointment set for CBT on the 30th of this Month. It's really what you are comfortable doing. We're all different

In our "Information and Research" section on this website there is some really good info about treatments in the article on "diagnosis and treatment." Check it out!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.