Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Why do people insist on telling the world their kids are v*?!?!??

My neighbor has a little girl that's like 3. Her facebook status says something like "Monica has been v* all night, but feels a little better now" ugh. She owes me money and is dropping off a check today but just putting it in my mail slot. Of course I'm worried it'll be contaminated and i'm not going to want to pick it up when I get home. Maybe I'll just let it lay there for a few days.
    Lol
    But why do people always announce when their kids are sick?? Even if I didn't have a phobia, I still wouldn't want to hear about your kids p**ing!! Geeeeeez!!

Default Re: Why do people insist on telling the world their kids are v*?!?!??

Lol! I completely agree, but I suppose they only do it because they're concerned or are bored, doesn't help us I know But as rule people are obessed with others bodily functions, I mean you have all kind of functions going on in this forum, it's just less scary because they're not within contact range
    I'm guilty of being innocent
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's just like putting a facebook status if something really good happens to you. For example, my facebook status says that I just got a job interview.

They want sympathy for bad things happening to them just like that want people to celebrate with them for the good things. It's just unfortunate that the bad things happens to effect some people's fears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's a big event even in a non-emet life I guess. People tend to update the "big thing" that is happening at the moment. And really, who can blame them? Nobody would ever think it would be distressing for someone else to hear about a 3 year old v*ing....unless they came to these forums. hah.

Maybe just because v*ing is the most significant thing that happened that day\ night?
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

I hear ya on this one! I can't stand how people talk about their kids being sick! Like you never know who has what type of phobia and the slightest mention of v* could send someone off the deep end. I'm always so careful of what I say because I don't want to upset anyone and it's just unnecessary to hear about people being sick. The only way I want to know is if I'm going to have to be around you or your children, then it's just a common courtesy.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

Emetophobia aside, I just think it's a gross thing to post. Say they're sick, but no need to go into detail!

I know! Everytime I see something like that it's always sets me back and completley freaks me out.

AH! The other day in my english class, my english teacher walked in and told the class about how he was cleaning it up all night because his daughter ate bad egg rolls! Way to have me panicked for a good 48 minutes of my day! :/

I agree and it's probably pretty embarrassing for the kid too! I mean, you wouldn't tell everyone if they had the runs all night.

I completely disagree with the jist of this thread!!! Do you guys actually want to get better or have you assigned yourself to the fact that you are never going to get better. I am as emetophobic as they get and I see these face book status' as a mild exposure therapy. I have three kids under five and my days are filled with terror waiting for them to catch a tummy bug. So, sorry when my kids get a tummy bug, I will be one of those horrible mums who announces it to the world...............
    Last edited by mama; 03-27-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mama View Post
    I completely disagree with the jist of this thread!!! Do you guys actually want to get better or have you assigned yourself to the fact that you are never going to get better. I am as emetophobic as they get and I see these face book status' as a mild exposure therapy. I have three kids under five and my days are filled with terror waiting for them to catch a tummy bug. So, sorry when my kids get a tummy bug, I will be one of those horrible mums who announces it to the world...............
    Honestly, people announcing that their kids were sick isn't a trigger for me (as long as I'm not around the kid). I just think it's kind of inappropriate, especially if your kid is older because it can really embarrass them. And some people are at different stages of their phobia and get upset by stuff like this.

I Like the fact that some people decide to tell the world their kids are sick. That way I KNOW to avoid them and their kids. I feel better knowing who has it and who has had it. My emet must work differently. I HAVE to know these things. I will even ASK everyone that I am in contact with if they have had "it" recently..etc...

I don't know. To them it just isn't a big deal. I recall one time I went to babysit, and as I was given directions, the mother informed me her son had had a virus where he got sick. Suffice to say, I was a nervous wreck. When his parenths left, he said he wasn't feeling well, and he had to go to the bathroom. He then had massive diahrrea and claimed his tummy "felt yucky". I called his parents after that (his parents were not far from there), and his dad came back and put him to bed. He then left, and the little boy fell asleep. The whole time I was worried, though. I kept thinking, how can you leave your child with a sitter after he's been been sick and risk exposing the sitter to that? I wouldn't if it was my child. Luckily I never got anything, but it still bothers me when I think of it. To them, it was just no big deal at all, like a common cold. They don't know about emetophobia, and they have no idea how vomitting can strike terror with us.

that happened to me too a long time ago. I used to watch these little girls and I remember arriving at their house and the mother was like "oh the baby was up vomitting all night in her crib" and she conitnued to describe the scene to me...I was not happy...I wasnt afraid of catching it becasue i didnt know about anything called the stomach flu and I didnt know vomit was contagious (i know and that was in 1995) I was just worried she was going to do it while I was there and I would have to clean it up...but luckily she didnt. Goodness, sometimes I still wish I didnt know there was something called the stomach virus. My life would be so much easier! and I agree, a lot of parents do look at it like a cold...that blows me away!

Quote Originally Posted by tshell View Post
    I Like the fact that some people decide to tell the world their kids are sick. That way I KNOW to avoid them and their kids. I feel better knowing who has it and who has had it. My emet must work differently. I HAVE to know these things. I will even ASK everyone that I am in contact with if they have had "it" recently..etc...
    I think that is how I feel. My post did seem a little mean.. I like the warning!!

I'm not a 'kids' type of person so I just ignore those posts.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

I had someone do that to me babysitting once too. I arrived and they were all like "Caitlian is sick, but she has a bucket and knows what to do". Like can't you tell a babysitter that the child they will be watching is ill? I mean, it's fine that they didn't understand how deathly afraid I am of v*; they didn't know. But I do believe it is common courtesy to tell someone who you are asking to watch your child if the child is not well.

Quote Originally Posted by tshell View Post
    exactly! this saved me one night...

i went to a christmas party with my family, and a couple we know with their two kids were there. they slipped it into casual conversation that their kids have been sick with the s*v* and had just stopped v* that morning (i was pretty angry they brought there kids to a party when they even still could have been sick!!). i immediately went into emet mode, i went to the restroom and washed my hands frequently, AVOIDED the kids (which was sad because i usually like to play with them), and didn't touch any of the tons of amazing food layed out.

about 5 days later, my mom informed me over half the people at the party got sick with the s*v*. she didn't tell me until she knew i wouldn't get it (bless her, she saved me a LOT of panicking).

if they wouldn't have said anything, i probably would have gotten sick.
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):