Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know a lot of people on this site have boyfriends/girlfiends or partners, so I wanted to ask a few questions. I don't have a boyfriend. I've onl ever had one, and it wasn't serious as I was only 16 at the time. Anyway, one day I'd spent the whole day with this guy -eating with him, holding hands, kissing etc, and then he rang me up in the evening to tell me he felt really ill and had v***** several times. This totally freaked me out, the thought of having shared food and saliva with this guy who now had a sickness bug just totally petrified me. Since then, I have never been able to have a boyfriend, becuse I'm scared that the same thing will happen. There's no way I could ever hold hands with someone and kiss someone who might get ill and pass it onto me. I completely isolate myself from people all the time. I don't know what to do. I can't go through life never having a boyfriend because I'm scared of catching something from him. I'm so worried about this! Does anybody have the same problem??
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

aww i really feel for you!!! i cant relate to this at all but then again for some reason i do not worry about catching sickness from others...maybe if u met someone who uwere really close 2 u if they got ill it wont affect u, i dont kno how long u were with this guy but i mean someone u hadknown 4 awhile...i kno i can cope wen my boyfriend is sick at my house but no1 else...but i cant give u any solid advice as i dont have this problem, sorry

I worry about that all the time! I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year now, and I made SURE he understood my problem. He always tells me when he feels sick, and takes very good care of himself. Knock on wood, but he says he doesn't v**** even when he has a bug! If you find aguy who's understanding of your phobia (and hygenic, lol), you shouldn't have much to worry about!

Love,
    Rebeccah
    Love is the only rational act.

yeah my bloke is dead supportive as are my m8s...altho i really dont want them 2 treat me like ive got cancer or like they need to walk on egg shells so we tend 2 laugh about it more than anything but i kno they r there 4 me if i am havin a bad day

Quote Originally Posted by Abi
    I know a lot of people on this site have boyfriends/girlfiends or partners, so I wanted to ask a few questions. I don't have a boyfriend. I've onl ever had one, and it wasn't serious as I was only 16 at the time. Anyway, one day I'd spent the whole day with this guy -eating with him, holding hands, kissing etc, and then he rang me up in the evening to tell me he felt really ill and had v***** several times. This totally freaked me out, the thought of having shared food and saliva with this guy who now had a sickness bug just totally petrified me. Since then, I have never been able to have a boyfriend, becuse I'm scared that the same thing will happen. There's no way I could ever hold hands with someone and kiss someone who might get ill and pass it onto me. I completely isolate myself from people all the time. I don't know what to do. I can't go through life never having a boyfriend because I'm scared of catching something from him. I'm so worried about this! Does anybody have the same problem??

Oh definitely! I can't imagine kissing my boyfriend everyday, then hearing that he threwup that night or something. It would be like living in panick CONSTANTLY. I find it very hard, and even harder to try to explain this to a guy. I've had a couple "boyfriends"...but nothing serious. One was a fling, so when, umm, we hung out...it was only a couple days and I wasn't worried about it at all.

But I understand completely how you feel. I'm so lonely, I'd love to share my life with a guy, be comfortable with someone. But for now, I'm all by myself waiting for the right one, who will understand me AND my phobia.

Thanks everyone. Crazybeautiful, I am soooo glad that somebody else understands! I thought I was being really weird about it. I am lonely too, all my friends have boyfriends, and I've been single for nearly 4 years now. Its very lonely!
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

I worry about it just about every day. I worry about catching something from my husband, I worry about having to listen to him sick in the night, I worry about him bringing something home from someone at his office, I worry about his hygeine habits, I worry about it all!! I totally understand. There was a time when he got a bug when we were still teenagers and just dating and I had the hardest time even being next to him for the longest time. It must be frustrating for our significant others too, being that they didn't do anything to deserve being treated that way. I hate this phobia.

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

i can relate a bit. i dont have a boyfriend tho i would like one buti know i have a lot of time! i couldnt bear it if he was sick in from of my at all! yuck!!! i g2g this is grossing my out just thinkin about it.
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

For some reason, it's not something that I think about when I'm with my boyfriend. I think it's because if he felt sick, he'd tell me, and he doesn't get sick much at all anyway. But it's not really something I ever think about in relationships.

im kinda afraid to b around them if they were sick?
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

It is hard. I do avoid kissing my husband for the reasons you worry. I have made him understand that he helps me if he takes care of himself (eating right, washing his hands etc.) He brought a stomach virus home when I was 7 1/2 months pg and I told him if I caught it I wouldn't forgive him...kinda harsh? Well I did catch it and he felt awful. After that he has really worked hard at staying healthy and understanding what it does to me. He recently caught a bug that my daughter brought home.I was the one that cleaned up the V and took care of her...yet he caught it. It really upset him that he caught it and he was trying to be careful.
    Its so hard at times but really the good so out weighs the times that a partner might be sick.

I use to worry about it. I am not so bad about it now. My husband will tell me if he isn't feeling well and will say I won't kiss you because I don't want you to get it. I did find though that once you are really close to someone you don't think about it too much. If he jumps up in the night I can feel my whole body tense and I get butterflies in my stomach and I can feel a cold sweat starting almost immediatly. So far though 100% it IS just going to the bathroom or a bleeding nose.

The one time he was ill in the morning though a few weeks ago. I was more concerned about helping him feel better at the time. He felt really bad about it, but I realized too that i had made a step that helped me out.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Melikasa-

I'm the same way! I can feel the dread centering in the pit of my stomach whenever my husband gets out of bed at night! And it is also just for the bathroom...or a bloody nose!

At the beginning of March my husband had to get up to v*. It was a horrible, terrifying experience for me. Even though he felt bad, though, he weakly explained that it was no bug, that he got really dizzy while blowing his nose (we were at a really high altitude), and that he tried v*ing to relieve the dizziness. It didn't work and he said his body didn't even want to v*. He was so kind to explain it all, and I was able to go back to sleep next to him. He was fine the next day, and so was I (after a few hours of cautious eating and stressing!).
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Abi
    Thanks everyone. Crazybeautiful, I am soooo glad that somebody else understands! I thought I was being really weird about it. I am lonely too, all my friends have boyfriends, and I've been single for nearly 4 years now. Its very lonely!

Yeah it is lonely.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I definitely understand.

I agree that it is really difficult to share your life with someone as you are increasing your exposure but like Pippi has said the benefits outweigh the negatives. I have found that at the beginning of a relationship it is all so exciting that I am willing to take the risk of kissing a boyfriend and then when I get to know them better, I ease up on the kissing! By then they understand the problem.

Living with my boyfriend really helps me - I can tell him how I am feeling all the time without him telling me to be quiet and having him know somehow helps me. Generally just being out and about with him is much easier than being by myself so don't give up on relationships.
    JaneL

YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE SO GOOD, IS TO HAVE A LOVE LIFE WITH SOMEONE WHO ALSO HAS EMETOPHOBIA OR SOME OTHER SEIROUS PHOBIA.
    If you\'re from Colorado then tell me!!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I can see it beinga good thing but I can see cons with that as well. I find that my husband is total support for meand he is learning to understand what I am going through without freaking out along with me like another EMET would be. True it isn't as easy at first since the significant other doesn't understand it like an EMET would.

Havine an Emet partner would be a good support system in a way but it could be a set back as well. INTERESTING thought though. UNtil you mentioned it I never really thought about it.[img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I always wondered what it would be like if I had married an Emet, because my husband keeps me normal, can u imagine the two of you never being able to leave the house in fear of catching the flu!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">ugh that would be awful. ESPECIALLY now that we have a baby. [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]He can't handle the diapers well and I can't handle the other end well but we both manage I couldn't imagine us both not only being sqeemish but also not being able to leave the house.</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

IF YOU EVER WANNA CHAT TO ME ABOUT IT GIVE ME AN EMAIL

[email protected] I HAVE ALL SYPTOMS OF EMET EVERY THING YOU CAN THINK OF THAT RELATES TO EMET I HAVE I HATE IT ITS THE SAME WTH MY BF BUT I DARENT TELL HIM HOW SERIOUS IT IS INCASE HE LAUGHS BUT PLEASE MAIL ME OR ADD ME TO MSN SO WE CAN CHAT

lOVE SARAHXXX[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Sarah Louise - Were Alive, So Take A Deep Breath