Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Has emetophobia helped you?

Have any of you ever been in any situations where your fear actually helped you? I don't think I've had any, all it does is kinda ruin my life. :/

Default Re: Has emetophobia helped you?

Yes, it didn't let me try heroin.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It stopped me from developing bulimia. I had an eating disorder on and off through my teens and I honestly would've done a lot more damage if I wasn't emet.

Actually, I think it may have stopped me from becoming bulimic, too. Oh and I'm just about the only 16 year old in my entire group of friends that refuses to drink.

I tried smoking my first cig and I was so nauseous afterward that I will NEVER do that again.

Occasionly it helps me in subtle ways as it helps me to appreciate days in quite a indescribable way... like when your feeling happy and you just know you wont throw up... that is a good feeling and the other one - when your convinced that your going to throw up but then you end up okay... that feels good too you feel extremely relieved

Yes, I forgot about smoking, drinking alcohol and being a true bulimic
    Last edited by tanechka1984; 03-31-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In general - no. But it was a part of my personality for so many years, and I still carry the memory of the anxiety and fear. I'm stronger in some ways because of actions taken due to emetophobia. I have a good inderstanding of what it can be like to have an irrational fear. That gives me a lot of tolerance and understanding for others who fight similar battles.

Respectfully,
    David

Yes, like others have said I never 'experimented' with bulimia due to emet. I also don't get drunk, smoke, or take recreational drugs. I like to think I wouldn't have anyway without emet but I don't know...
    And I suppose it's helped me in that I can feel empathy for people with phobias and that instead of just scoffing at them.
    But it's helped me all it can now, it is no use to me anymore, it can now go, get out of my life.
    "Here in the final draft, I've given all I have,
    Strange how the heart expands in the absence of a plan,
    There's nothing left on the page but I'm okay with that,
    I found my resolution was designed for stronger hands"

Yes, only if you consider that I've never been legitimately drunk and never had the desire to drink. Unfortunately, I did smoke cigarettes for quite a while, and then briefly marijuana. More often than not, I used those things as a crutch for my anxiety/nausea when it usually made me feel worse.

Yes, It reminds me to eat healthy and have a healthy lifesyle so i have less chance of getting sick!

yep it stopped me being bulimic i tried to make myselfv* when i was scared enough to about weight gain but i was always to scared to do more than make myself gag.. it hasnt stopped me drinking but it has got me out of rooms where people were sick in like 5 mins later from pure paranoia

well it mostly just destroys things, ruins... but if you think of it... like, I don't drink. I want to (when I'm 18, in october) but it will surely keep me safe from drinking tooooo much Because I don't want v*

Hmm, the only good things that it has helped is helped me from not trying different kinds of drugs and also preventing me from getting into the really harsh drugs, which some of my friends have sadly gone into, I probably would of too, if it wasnt for this phobia. (Although, being honest there was drugs that I did... But that was because they came with no V* symptoms)

It stops me from drinking, for obvious reasons.

But probably the best out of all, is that I have finially quit smoking. I remember sometime last year, I had been getting really sick and got severe anxiety problem (Which lead to major nausea, almost all the time) And well when I was having crazy anxiety attacks, I would smoke less because often smoking made the nausea from the anxiety worse.

So yes, emetophoia has helped me not get into bad drug habbits and has got me to quit smoking. Been a smoker for 4 years and for you other smokers out there you KNOW how hard it is to quit.

It shaped my childhood - young adulthood. I am sure it had many positive effects because I love the life I have led. It kept me from over drinking, (never been drunk once,) and doing drugs. It has given me the ability to sympathize with others who have phobias. =)

My emet kept me from drinking and doing drugs, as well as helped me get down to a healthy body weight. I was about 5 pounds heavier than I should have been over the past summer, and one of my major emet freakouts is responsible for my being 20 pounds lighter today!

But really, these things are minimal victories compared to the giant losses that emet causes me.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

Yes, I don't drink and don't eat out which saves me a lot of money. Other than that it's ruining my life!

Stops me drinking!

It makes me clean the kitchen REALLY well hahaha

Wow you have a strong opinion on drugs and stuff... although I totally agree , so does that mean your cured of emetophobia??? x
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"

Thats pretty amazing... how???
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"

As most people have said, it stops me from drinking too much!

It makes me really cautious with cooking and stuff too, which I guess is a good thing.

Also, I'm a psychology student and so having a phobia myself and experiencing therapy first hand helps me to understand things in class hehe!

Smile Re: Has emetophobia helped you?

it keeps me from drinking, trying any drugs and doing stupid crazy things

Yeah, I guess...even though it usually ruins my life. It has kept me from alcohol and drugs, of course, and being bulimic...also I am ultra careful in keeping my kids healthy and my kitchen and bathrooms clean. But I truly would trade those "silver linings" for being rid of this monster forever.