Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Endoscopy! Help!

I FINALLY went to a GI doctor today after dealing with this debilitating nausea for over a month. I recently have started experiencing stomach pain and a weird taste in my mouth. The doctor reviewed my recent blood work, gallbladder ultrasound, and ct scan and found nothing. He wants to do an endoscopy tomorrow at 1:30pm. I am TERRIFIED! I can not stop crying! I'm only 24! I shouldn't be having stomach problems. I am happy that maybe he will be able to find what is wrong with me but I am not looking forward to the IV and especially not the 'sedative' medicine since I heard that sometime when people wake up from anesthesia they are nausea and v*! I am soooooo nervous and anxious. Has anyone on here had this procedure done before?!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Default Re: Endoscopy! Help!

try not to worry.....i've had one....i didn't v or even get n afterwards.....just went home and slept
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've only been under general anesthesia once, and it was when I was 6 years old, but I didn't get sick afterwards. I've also said that I'm not going to go to another endoscopy without anesthesia, even though I would also be afraid to go to the recovery room afterwards, dreading that someone else will be sick and I'd have to listen.
    I've had IV sedative twice, and they didn't make me sick either. Didn't do much to help either with the gastroscopy because I was so afraid. Funny thing is that when I got the same IV sedative when they did a colonoscopy, I was out like a light Fear is a powerful thing, I've had sedative in a tablet form before 3 of the endoscopys, and they didn't relax me one bit...
    Try to take it as calm as possible (believe me, I know it's hard). The only good thing is that it doesn't really take that long, and you'll survive I really wish you all the best!

I was under GA before and I was fine afterwards. I've done LOTS of endoscopies and trust me if you ASK for an anti-emetic afterward 99% of the time they'll give you one. Hell 9% of the times I've been in the hospital and asked for one (cause I had to drink or eat something nasty for a test) they gave it to me. Trust me you'll be fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

I had one last year, and it was a breeze! They gave me three different sedatives, and I slept through the whole thing. I woke up, and was not n* at all, was hungry even. No sore throat, no pain, nothing unpleasant. You will do fine!
    JANNA

It's easy, don't worry about it!! I had one a few months ago and I am only 19. I got it for the same reasons you are! Anyway, I felt sick before hand (I think it was because I also had to have a colonoscopy,so I was super hungry, thirsty and anxious) they gave me some anti-emetic and I was good. The IV was cake because they just put it in my arm. The anethesia was awesome, too. They usually give a twilight anethesia, which isn't as bad as general. It knocked me out like a light and I had NO nausea after. I was out after 3 mins of getting it I guess I was super giggly the whole way to the procedure room! hah
    It was seriously sooo easy!
    Last edited by crd08; 04-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Morning Kell, try not to worry too much about the endoscopy. I've had a couple when I was younger, when I was the same age as you. I was soooo worried about the sedation making me v* & n*, but it really didn't. It just made me feel sleepy & relaxed, & like the lady above, very giggly!! xxxx

They don't usually give general anaesthesia for endoscopies, they use twilight sedation, often times Versed. Versed is a benzodiazapine which makes you sleepy, extremely relaxed and you won't remember or feel anything. It also has some anti emetic properties, so it shouldn't make you feel bad, but you can always ask for an additional anti emetic just to ease your mind a bit. You'll be ok.

i have had a handful of endoscopys and colonoscopys and i feel great when i wake up...good luck