Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Wintertime

I guess everyone probably feels this way, but winter really gets me down.
    I guess I'm one of those people who just can't stand the cold (though
    living in Canada you'd think I'd be used to it!). But in winter, the skies are
    grey and every tv commercial is for cold and flu medicine. Makes me feel
    kinda depressed.
    Not sure what my point is. Guess I'm wondering if anyone else feels the
    same way?
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

I'm in Canada too - Toronto...so far, we've had a beautiful November - the fall was almost nicer than the summer - but yeah, I hate the winter....I've been sick with a fever (no other symptoms) for the past few days and have a new baby and am NOT looking forward to the winter....I already notice my 5 year-old daughter going rangy in the evenings because of boredom because she can't go out to play.....
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

I hate winter too, and I live in very cold North Dakota. I hate the days being so short, and it's dark when I go to work and nearly dark when I leave work. It's too cold to be outside, the roads get icy, people are ill, and does anyone else notice that in the grocery stores there's always displays of 7-up, sprite and ginger ale all over together? That freaks me out. And I notice the commercials about flu medication and stuff. I also secretly check how much pepto and immodium has been taken from the shelf when I go to a store, just to see if something's going around.... I can't believe I just admitted that.....[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I love the winter! I love the both extremes, winter and summer. But I love horrid weather lol. The only thing I don't like, like everyone else here, are the illnesses that circulate at the speed of light!!

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I wrote this in my AOL journal the other day and I wanted to share it with you... it pretty much describes how winter makes me feel and hopefully we can all gain from what I've learned.

If you ever feel like you're ready to give up, or you want todie,
    remember all of the things in life that make you smile...
    And then Live for those things... *unknown*

Today was an okay day... tonight was rough. I hate this season! The rain, the darkness, cold air and the all around nasty weather. I leave for work in the dark, spend most of my day there, where mind you, there are no windows and then go straight to class. By the time I get out of class... it's dark again. I haven't seen much daylight lately and that can really get to a person after awhile. I miss the summer... I miss the warm weather and winter hasn't even technically arrived yet. Ugh... what am I going to do for the next 3 months?!?

I'm going to do just what the quote says I should do! I'm going to surround myself with my family and my friends and I'm going to try my very best to stay positive. We only have two weeks left of classes and after that I'mgoing totry to getin as much daylight time as I possibly can and when I'm not working (which unfortunately won't be as often as I wish!) I plan to lay around, relax and watch some Christmas Specials. I've gotten through every winter before and this one will be no different...the cold weather and drearinessmaylast for abit, but I take courage in the knowledge that it will ONLY last for a bit, and then spring will come andlife will be better. With spring comes happierdays... I have tohang on til then!

Wishing you all VERY Peaceful days and a wonderful holiday season )
    ~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Not to be a whiner, but winter in some parts of the country can be hellacious, and that includes mine. Our winters usually start around Nov. 1, although this year was an exception, and end around April 1. There is deep snow and ice, cloudy days, and temperatures below zero sometimes for a month at a time. My dogs won't even go outside some days because their feet freeze to the ground. It just gets me down so much, when the leaves start falling all I can see in my mind is the next 6 months of dreariness and cold. I hate it. I saw in a magazine or something yesterday where some people have winter blooming flowers and thought to myself how I'd love to live someplace that you could have flowers in the winter. How great that would be!!! Ugh.... winter sucks where I live. Right now it's 13 degrees here. I know exactly what you mean rock_on!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

i dont like the winter either.

because wen im cold, i shiver, i associate shivering with nausea and v*ing... so thats why i hate winter.

it also generally dampens my mood, as it does evryone, because everywhere is so bleak.. i miss the sunshine!

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

2jo2 where the heck do you live? It sounds like a cold Minnesota Up North winter. brrrrrr. I remember those cold days and nights.
    The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~ee cummings~

this is why i live in the south (in the US)...in fact, i moved further south than where i was born. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

today it was a lovely 66 degrees outside. i don't even have to wear longsleeves! it still gets dark very early, but not as early as it does for those of you up north!

i used to work in a building with no windows and i went crazy. you have to get outside during the day somehow to get some sun!

hope you all stay warm!

elizabeth

I used to hate the winter, and then I moved to Florida. I missed
    the cold more then anything. And Christmas decorations on palm
    trees don't make much sense. So I moved back to NJ, and am
    looking forward to snow.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

For some people, winter = SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. The lack of daylight can cause depression, lethergy, lack of energy and interest in anything - need I go on? You can help yourself to get through by getting as much daylight as possible - whatever the weather, go outside, even if it means several layers of clothes and waterproofs. Sitting inside, even by a window, won't do it - you have to get you into whatever light there is. You can also get special lamps that simulate daylight (not those bulbs that crafters use, more like small sun-lamps). But remember this - it's now less than 3 weeks to the solstice, then the days will start to get longer again.

Keep looking on the bright side! Jill xxx

Quote Originally Posted by goosey
    2jo2 where the heck do you live? It sounds like a cold Minnesota Up North winter. brrrrrr. I remember those cold days and nights.

Good guess!! I grew up in northern Minnesota and went to North Dakota for college and ended up staying here.... I try not to let myself get too down about it, because it's my choice to stay, and the summers are gorgeous, the cost of living is pretty good, I have a super job, my family is within a day's drive, there's low to no crime, and there's great hockey up here. And scampi's right, the days will start to get longer starting Dec. 22nd or near there. It's just such a bummer when it's 8AM right now and the sun still isn't up. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Oh, and it's 5 degrees out and about 3 inches of snow on the ground. It looks pretty tho!Edited by: 2jo2

Here in the north of England, we have very short days (got light about 8am this morning, will be dark again by 4.30pm) at this time of year too, but I do wish we had the cold! I hate the 'mild' weather (around 10 degrees centrigrade) - I find it really unpleasant. Give me a few degrees below freezing any day - at least you can put on extra layers! I know that the Gulf Stream keeps our climate more 'gentle' than that of similar latitudes, but I'm not sure I really like that - but then I think, do I really want to be in the middle of the North Atlantic, in winter, without our watery 'electric blanket' - maybe not!!!! But I want some SNOW - maybe I should take a winter holiday to the Northern US or Canada?

yeah, the winter sucks, Its mostly the lack of daylight that does me in.

then again, it would be awful to have xmas without snow! it can be so beautiful to look at!

I'm in canada too - Nova scotia, and our winters can get pretty bad. I would deff miss it if I moved away as much AS i complain about it!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Yeah. I felt the same way until we moved to Florida about a couple of weeks ago. It's much better here b/c the sun is always shining, and it really boosts my mood, and I actually want to get up to go to work. My aunt has been wanting me to move here for awhile b/c she knows about my anxiety and seasonal depression. She thought it would be better for me, and it is. But no. I don't like the cold weather and grey skies either.