Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Would you rather hear the truth?

I have just found out that my mother had a SV two weeks ago!!!!!!

I either see her or talk to her every day and she looks after my kids while I work twice a week yet she failed to mention this - I'm furious!!!!!!!

I found out by accident and she said she didn't wanna say because she knew it would upset me and freak me out. I understand that but now she's freaked me out even more - I need to know these things so I can take action/be careful etc. Also I'm waiting to start cbt, which my mum put me forward for, so being sheltered from it and lied to isn't exactly helping me to face it and be rational.

Anyway enough of the rant - just wondering would you rather be kept in the dark like that or told the truth when someone is sick???
    Those who are brave may not live forever, but those who are cautious do not live at all xx

Default Re: Would you rather hear the truth?

hiya, i understand what u mean my brother got a s.v and my mum told my brother not to tell me cause id freak out and worry all the time but when my older brother told me that hed been s* the night before i was really angry and scared and im i always ask him if hes been s* cause il never believe him because i was lied to before its not nice when your lied to like that but i dont think u will catch anything now if its been 2 weeks x

This has happened to me before. I was so angry that she didn't tell me that she was sick but if she would have told me than I would have been freaking out so much that I could get it and wouldn't want to be around my own mom. So I don't think of it so much as a lie but as her trying to help my anxiety

Well think of it this way:

Did any of you get the s*v from them? No, right? So I think it's fine. Spared you some anxiety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

so true djeskimo........i go back and forth on this issue.....when i hear a friend talking about it i think....i'd rather not know.....but if i find out on my own i get kind of pissed.....i can't win for losing
    how i feel about emet

Oh, I'd be so pissed!

My friend just told me she had a mild stomach virus the other day. We had planned to meet up this week. She knows how I am and now I do not want to see her for a while, haha. I'd be really mad if she kept it from me.

One time I had a friend come to town from out of state and she ended up getting a bad stomach virus. She was staying with her boyfriend and ended up getting him sick as well. I remember she told me the last minute that she had been ill, and told me she debated on telling me at all. I was thinking, are you serious? The only reason she decided to tell me that we shouldn't meet up is because a family member of mine had just come home from the hospital with a brain aneurysm and she was thinking about what if they got sick from me, etc. Like gee thanks, that would have been lovely as well. People make me wonder sometimes.

I would like to know. That way, I can avoid that person if possible. If not, then I can make sure I don't touch my mouth, eyes, and nose and make sure to wash my hands . I always wash my hands before I eat and after I go the bathroom, but I'd be extra careful.

I'd like to know for sure... cos I know that my mum wont tell me if anyone in the house gets sick so Im constantly paranoid looking for signs and stuff :L if she told me I could just make sure I dont get it instead of getting it if that makes sense... at least you didnt catch it though
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"

Last time my mom told me she got s* I just started sobbing, so it might be better if people hide it from me...

My mum did this to me last year. She said she had spent the night being sick, and hid it from me because of how I react. This was about four days after it happened, and I hadn't been keeping up the hygiene, I was so pissed...

Would it make a differnce whether or not she was responsible while being sick?

Like if someone was sick, but practicing good hygiene and such to not pass it on, as opposed to someone being irresponsible.

Would you care if one didn't tell you, as opposed to the other?

Always I would rather hear the truth. Part of why I get so paranoid about people is because my family always hid it from me; and not very well because lets face it we all know the signs.

With my boyfriend, I can actually stay in the same house as him when he v*s, which is a first for me. I can even take him a glass of water (won't touch him or be near him while he v*s or anything) but I trust him because he ALWAYS tells me when he feels even slightly n*, even if it's a false alarm which it usually is. Even though I still get panicky, I'm nowhere near as panicky as I am with other people.

It also means I'm not constantly paranoid and watching him for signs, because I trust that he would tell me, so I'm a lot more relaxed in general. Only thing that bothers me is he is TERRIBLE for forgetting to wash his hands which makes me go on a cleaning rampage.

I don't mind so much with other people/family, but my husbad...I want to know. I want to know if he doesn't feel well so I can hatch the proper "escape plan". I'm not so much worried about past v*ing as I am about future...especially when I could be around when it happens.

I would want to know... mostly because I can be more vigilant with cleaning/hand washing. In fact, I am so paranoid about other people feeling sick that any time anyone says they don't feel well, I interrogate them about it! Probably a horrible thing to do... who wants to be interviewed about how crappy they feel and why? Haha.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

I'd rather know.

I'd definitely rather know. I panic when i find out afterwards and haven't been careful or washed my hands enough

It depends. Usually I'd rather know, but during Christmas my family kept me in the dark and I was so thankful!

I went to a Christmas party of a bunch of family members and my lovely aunt decided to bring her 2 kids sick with the s*v* but "handn't v* too recently". So the entire time I stayed to myself in the corner and didn't touch the finger food. I was still nervous for a few days, but I didn't get near the kids, washed my hands a million times and didn't eat any food so I wasn't that scared.

About a week later when my mom knew I wouldn't get it she told me almost everyone at the party got sick! They didn't know if it was food poisoning or the kid's s*v*. I'm just glad my mom didn't tell me or I would have died of anxiety, but in this case there would have been nothing I could do about it (because none of my immediate family got sick, thankfully) so I definantly did not want to know.
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):