Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Wellbutrin Experiences?

My doctor suggested I go on Wellbutrin for my anxiety/BDD issues as it has the lowest risk of by biggest feared side effects: n*/v* and weight gain. I know this drug is usually used for depression and quitting smoking; has anyone found it to be helpful for anxiety symptoms? Therapy doesn't work, I'm terrified of SSRI/SNRI's side effects, benzos are not a safe or reasonable long term treatment and I am so sick of feeling so anxious and miserable all the time. Does anyone have any experiences with this drug? Thank you! <3

Default Re: Wellbutrin Experiences?

I took it for a while...The lexapro helped better but I did have some success with the Wellbutrin. The side effects I had were constipation, loss of appetite, body twitches, and insomnia. The Dr. kept warning me that siezures were a strong side effect but I never experianced them. When the body twitches started I stopped taking it. The funny thing was I took this particular drug while I was pregnant with my last child. I was a smoker and was having panic attacks so the Dr. put me on this to stop the smoking and the attacks. It worked. No side efffects for me or my child. About a year and a half ago we were told my dad was terminally ill and we constantly had trips to the hospital so the emet reared its ugly head & I started smoking again so I specifically asked for this medicine. That is when I had the side effects.

Thank you for your reply It's good to know that the Wellbutrin does help some people with similar issues. I know an SSRI or SNRI would probably work better, but I am just too afraid of them at this point and just considering taking them makes my anxiety worse.

I'm not a expert or anything, but dont drugs an stuff just make it worse on the long run..?? but its up too you, personaly I'd rather just handle it natrually... then again, Im only 14.... good luck
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by x...RaChE...x View Post
    I'm not a expert or anything, but dont drugs an stuff just make it worse on the long run..?? but its up too you, personaly I'd rather just handle it natrually... then again, Im only 14.... good luck
    In a perfect world, that would be great. However handling my GAD/BDD naturally just isn't cutting it at all. Having the option to potentially feel better, I do want to do something different to feel better as what I have done in the past doesn't work.

Yes, I think that for some people, medication is the best or even only choice. You always have the option of going off the medication in the future. I have never used wellbutrin but I think it is pretty well tolerated, especially compared to the SSRIs. That being said, I have been on Lexapro, and Paxil, and I never experienced any side effects. Also used Effexor XR with no side effects. The withdrawal was bad coming off of the Paxil and Effexor, though. I think they must have helped me, because if I wanted to get off of them, I must have been feeling better!

Good luck. If the Wellbutrin doesn't cut it, there are lots of other options you and your doctor can discuss

Thanks! It's nice to know that some people are lucky enough to use even SSRIs without any side effects! <3

I've had similar "withdrawal" effects from Paxil and Zoloft. I am currently on a low dose of Wellbutrin, which was lowered from my initial dose due to shakiness/jitters about 3 hrs after taking my first dose. I'm not sure if it is actually working or not because I still experience anxiety.... ugh, I feel everyone's pain here!

I started the Wellbutrin XL 150mg this morning... so far so good.

I've been on Wellbutrin XL (100mg) since I was 13. No problems here.

I took Welbutrin for 3 years when I was a preteen. It didn't personally do much for me at the time, but I have seen other people do well on it. It caused tachycardia and muscle twitching (epecially of the eye) in me, which is the reason I stopped it. I may try it again someday because it did seem to help my anxiety and horrible self doubt. Good luck! I hope it helps!

I took it for a few months along with Zoloft because I;ve been on Zoloft for almost 10 years, and I felt that I had hit a wall with it. The Wellbutrin did nothing for me except make me VERY angry, weepy, and made me clench my jaw or bite down repeatedly on nothing. I hated it. I stopped taking it two weeks ago, and feel so much better! I know that it does work for a lot of people, I just wanted to post my experiences as well.

Well, I gave it a good try, but I am totally finished with the Wellbutrin. The first two days were fine (except for a slight headache), but Sunday and Monday were sheer hell. I was so exhausted (slept all day), dizzy, n*, had a migraine, generally felt sick (sore ears, joints and throat), severe shakes and everything just looked weird. It is hard to explain, but nothing looked the way it should, kind of muted and fuzzy. I stayed in bed all weekend and cried. I wasn't depressed before; but I was sure depressed taking this medication!

I can't function like that, I have patients to see (conference today), so this morning I didn't take it. I spoke with my pharmacist and she said it was ok for me to just stop since I was on the lowest dose and only on it for 4 days. Horrible stuff. I still have a headache (but not as severe) and the shakes, but other than that I feel SO much better today by not taking it.