Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Getting Sick Makes Your Fear Worse?

I was reading the success forum and saw that some people said they have been cured of their fear by vomitting. They got sick and came to the conclusion it was nothing to be afraid of.
    For me, it has been the opposite. Most times I have gotten sick, it has been so traumatic that it actually intensifies my fear. Any time I'm very nauseous, my mind flashes back to those times, and I'm just more scared.

Has it been this way for anyone else or just me?

Default Re: Getting Sick Makes Your Fear Worse?

Everyone's different and there'll be a lot of people who feel like you so you're not alone. For me, it remains the same, neither being cured by it,nor getting worse. To have a phobia and then to actually have to face it head-on is bound to be a traumatic experience for most people.

I think if you're ready to face it, and you get sick it's going to help. But if you aren't ready to take action (which is fine, it takes time to get to the right level) it will be worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine only got better because the last time I was sick because I was so nauseous, I wanted to vomit. It was that bad. It was so bad, that as scared as I was to vomit, that would be seconds, whereas the pain and nausea I had lasted hours.

I'm with you about getting more anxiety with each V episode. Several horrible episodes as a kid, brought about my phobia. It got more pronounced each time.

well, I dread it. When I am n* I do everything I can to prevent it. And when it does happen, I think, meh, that wasnt so bad. Then the feeling of it being ok fades and next time I am n* I am just as afraid...

I am just like you... as a kid I'd scream in restraunts, go to the toilet to avoid eating dinner and so on... But as I got older I wasnt as scared as when I was young but then last year I caught my first sv in AGES and now Im TERRIFIED, its even worse than when I was young... so yeah, it is possible.
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"

I got the sv* last year, and it didn't get any worse, it actually got better
    people are different though

I've experienced both things. When I had a sv* 3 years ago and v* twice, the next day I was very proud of myself and felt like I was getting better. However, when I got a sv* Jan 09, and v* once followed by dh* ..well, that made me even more terrified and made my phobia much worse

One experience made me less fearful...I was proud of getting through the 97 norovirus with a LOT of v*ing albeit in a very short period of time, then I got a milder 07 strain and v* once and a few dh before that and it was a HUGE setback.

Sorry it took me a few days to respond. Thanks for all your comments; I appreciate it! I see it appears mixed. I envy the people whose fears have been lessened by vomiting. Mine has sadly been the opposite. I did find the last time I had a virus where I got sick, the first time was the most traumatic, not that the other times weren't traumatic. There always will be a first time if I get sick in the future. No help there.

It would be such a help if there was a stomach virus vaccine.
    Last edited by TiredofFear; 04-08-2010 at 01:14 AM.

I have the same reaction as you, every time it happens it just confirms how horrible everything about v* is and makes the emet worse.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiegirl View Post
    I have the same reaction as you, every time it happens it just confirms how horrible everything about v* is and makes the emet worse.
    Sucks, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TiredofFear View Post
    Sucks, doesn't it?
    That is does.

For me, any time I've had to even gag because I felt like I was going to V*.. it has only intensified it. I try to think all the time "what is it exactly that I'm so afraid of?" And honestly, I just can't think of a reason why this fear is so great. All I know is that I'm terrified of it.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3