Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Blood work

hey all, just ranting a little bit. A few months ago I went to the doctors because I was having really weird breathing problems that I figured it was anxiety because as soon as I got out of the situation, I was fine. Anyway, he told me to get blood work done, to test my kidneys, liver, cholestorol, diabetes, that type of stuff, and I am freaking terrified but I know I should go, When I was younger I was terrified of AIDS, cancer, (who isnt) but I though to myself that if I had something wrong with me I dont want to find out. And I keep thinking to myself that maybe something is wrong with me, I recently lost a bunch of weight but I still have excess fat in my belly area which I read is a sign of heart disease. Among other weird things, I dont know Im kinda ranting here, but I know I should go, but I am just so freakin scared. My mom and my gramma both had heart attacks, so I know there is a risk for me as well. I dont know. *sigh*

sorry, does anyone out there feel the same way about health stuff?

I definetly feel the same way! It's just so scary to think that you might have some potentially horrible disease. But really, if you find out it's better because if you've caught it early you might be able to treat it! I really hope you're ok...

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I had to fight that fear when my doctor sent me for a colposcopy after my last smear test - my Grandma had cervical cancer and, despite my doctor's assurances that what she had seen (sorry!) that made her want to refer me for treatment was NOT cancerous, just a small bleeding spot that needed treating, I was terrified before I went. No-one knows how scared I was, although I did get some great words of support on here, as I didn't tell anyone - I just acted like it was no big deal, but inside I wanted to cry my eyes out. The upshot was that my doctor was right - there is no cancer, or even pre-cancerous changes. I had the treatment and just have to go back in January so they can make sure it worked properly.

I know it's hard, and that you automatically think the worst, but go get the blood work done - if your doctor has not sent you for urgent work on a specific thing, he is most likely just covering all the bases before he says for certain that your problems were down to stress - it is VERY unlikely that there is anything unusual going on. As for heart disease, you are young and healthy and you know how to limit your risk - just because your grandma and mumhad heart disease, you are not definitely going to suffer from it too. Go get those bloods done and set your mind at rest. If you are really too frightened to go, talk to your doctor about what you fear may be wrong so he can reassure you.

Best wishes, Jill xxx