Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up Closing Thoughts

Hey all,

As you can tell by my signature, I consider myself to be a recovered emetophobic. Anywho, I'm making the decision to not return to this site again.

While it can be very helpful, particularly for those in the midst of an anxiety attack, I find that it brings in the negative thoughts that I worked so hard to overcome.

Vomiting is not the worst thing in the world. It's not life changing and it shouldn't be memorable. It's a perfectly normal human activity.

Obviously, those suffering from this phobia don't think so, and that's okay, but if you want to recover (and stay that way) you have to stop thinking otherwise.

My advice to those in the midst of therapy or recovery is to stop visiting this site - or at least do it less frequently.

This site is a wonderful resource and was great when I was having late night "nausea" attacks, but it's time to move on. I want this phobia to be my past and when I visit here - even it's just to be supportive or give advice - I find that my thoughts of vomiting increase tenfold.

Most people don't think about throwing up at all through out the day, but for emets it's an obsession. I think we all know how unhealthy that can be.

Sorry for the long and rambly post, but I just wanted to share my final thoughts. Best of luck to those trying to overcome this phobia: rest assured, it is possible.

-Ellie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Closing Thoughts

I find I 'filter' this site using the titles and only read about treatment, goals, success stories and small triumphs. I find that there are very few of those things but I do find I get a good chuckle out of some of the ridiculous titles of the topics I avoid and realize how silly us emets can be.
    I am working hard towards recovery and hope to be cured in the next year or two. It's good to hear it's possible.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

congrats......hope to be there one day
    how i feel about emet

Great advice Ellie - I also recommend not visiting this site after one has gotten the initial information and understands they're not alone.

All the best in the future!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

There aren't enough success stories, but I really like this one. Thanks for your thoughts, and I hope you never have to come back here :P

Thank you for posting! I find I only visit back here when I'm bored or have extra time before work (I'm not fully recovered, but I'm doing very very well)

You may find these links helpful!

Congrats!!!!