Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default This is a LONG one-

I've accepted that I have to be suffering from some kind of post traumatic stress after this incident I'm about to share with all of you, because there is NO WAY that I'm just 'handling' this.

My friends and I were on our way to see Mary Poppins at the Ahmanson Theater in LA a few months back, and we were just coasting down the 101 freeway listening to Incubus when suddenly the driver, my friend we'll call M, says "I have no idea why I feel so nauseas right now".

My heart quite literally stopped.

The situation is this: M is driving, A is sitting in the passenger seat, S is sitting next to me in the back, and I'm sitting behind M's seat. She drives a Scion tC, which for those of you who don't know is a coupe. Meaning I'm enclosed, tightly, in the back - behind M. Do we see where this is going?

Long story short, A gives M a Tums to chew and see if it'll settle her stomach which ended up doing the exact opposite, and low and behold M is rolling down her window and suddenly V* out the window in one fell swoop, still driving/speeding and staying in her lane.

Did I see it? Absolutely. Was it awful? YES it was. Why was it -somehow- okay? Because the Driver, M, started hysterically LAUGHING right afterwards. Laughing! Are you kidding me?! Probably one of the most terrifying and embarrassing things has just happened to her, and she's cracking up...
    I've come to understand it's because she literally is the ONE person I know who just unapologetically owns her misfortune and embraces it. She immediately made it her status on Facebook. "So and So just V* all over herself while driving 80 down the 101 to go see Mary F***ING Poppins". Who would feel that comfortable announcing to the world such a GROSS thing? After posting that status she sends a text to her best friend saying, "I hope you're excited to hate me right now because I'm probably the grossest person you'll ever know. Be excited for this story"

-

How am I now? I still imagine the driver, any driver, no matter who it is, V* whenever I'm in a car now. Especially when I'm in a car with M. My anxiety as skyrocketed since then but I honestly don't think it was because of that incident, I really don't.

I wanted to share this because a) I still don't get how I'm able to be so calm about this, b) it's the most extreme encounter I've ever had of this nature, and c) ...I kind of hope to one day be like M? Maybe not as ridiculous and out of control, but comfortable

-

Thanks for bearing with me through my first post (that was much longer than intended) on the forum

Default Re: This is a LONG one-

wow....that's crazy....i believe i would have jumped out of the car. you really don't think this has caused your anxiety level to go up??? it certainly would mine......but i must say i wish i was like her

welcome to the forum
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh no! I would have died! Why did she throw up? Was she sick with a s*v* or something?
    Make me whole again....

I suppose I can't say 100% for sure that that incident didn't contribute somewhat to the anxiety, but this happened in November and late February is when my anxiety began really going downhill and taking over after I had a particularly awful experience where I felt overwhelmingly n* for a week straight.

And that's what we immediately asked her too! She's laughing her head off and the three of us are going, "WHAT JUST HAPPENED". We're pretty sure she just ate something bad at the restaurant we went too for lunch that day because after she V* she was totally fine, and really meant it when she said she didn't know why she felt sick because she felt totally fine before.

As a safety precaution I think I'm going to start bringing those bags they have on most airplanes and some boats in case of this kind of situation in the car for myself (*shudder*) or someone else...I think it's something everyone would appreciate, regardless of whether or not it may seem strange lol

This is one of my worst fears. To be stuck in a car with someone as they get sick. Just terrible. The feeling of being trapped must have been awful for you.It does seem like you handeld it well. I also think maybe because your friend was so "no big deal" about it maybe thats why do didn't flip out?

I'm positive that's why I didn't freak out, because she was so nonchalant! And the more I think about it now that I've told this story, really, for the first time and have taken the time to write it out- I would flip out if say it wasn't the driver...but the person next to me. In a coupe, with no easily accessible window. That's actually a TERRIBLE thought.

Yeah, I don't think I can sit in the back of a coupe anymore unless I'm by myself!

i just never understood how people take v* so lightly and humorous...

my friends will all tell stories about it and just laugh, while i consider it such a grotesque and abnormal act. clearly i am on the wrong side of the spectrum here but this story made me feel quite better about myself knowing that i would have had the same reaction as you!