Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy I dont feel much hope.. :-(

Hi,

Im new to the website. I am 23 years old and I live in Sydney Australia.

Ive been a bad emetophobic for years and although I tried to hide it from my 2 younger sisters.. 14 and 5 yrs old, they seem to be the same way.

Anyway, I dont drink in fear of throwing up, I am afraid of getting stomach bugs, I wont do a neccessary endoscopy and colonoscopy that was recommended 5 years ago because I am gluten intolerant and I need to find out if I am a coeliac. I wont do the test because I am afraid the drugs they give you will make me sick or fasting will make me sick. I am so scared. If i ever feel nausea, i freak out so much and do what I can, i eat lemons chew gum take anti nausea drugs its crazy! I need to have someone with me if I feel sick cos I have a fear of choking on it. I dont know where it came from.. the only thing I can think is that y sis when she wa about 5 she had a fit and choked on her own vomit and turned blue and nearly died. Gees worst day of my life.

There are times people bend down to tie their shoelaces and I think they will be sick and i turn away the other direction. If i do see someone throw up from a distance, the thought repeats over and over in my mind for weeks making me feel sick. if a friend is feeling unwell, i will ask every 1 minute how their tummy is... and then not believing them when they say theyre ok because its not always true and they get sick.

I dont like going out late because I see bits of vomit from drunks on the ground and I am afraid every person I pass that looks drunk will vomit near me. Its the sound that drives me insane.. I cant bear even thinking of it. I dont know how to get over it, seems impossible! Im afraid of how this will affect my life... what if I want kids.. morning sickness?? When I fly i am looking around me afraid.. kids especially freak me out when they eat lots on the plane and complain about feeling sick. I try put my headphones on to not hear anything but its not enough... I sweat and get stomach aches and want to jump out!

Do I have any hope?

Default Re: I dont feel much hope.. :-(

Hi there, I'm from Perth...always nice to see other Aussie's on here..though I'm sorry that you're suffering so badly I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. There is always hope in overcoming this fear...especially finding out WHY we have it in the first place. You mentioned the incident with your sister - did your emetophobia start there? That definately would have been traumatizing to see but it's very rarely that anyone will choke when they are sick. Some people on this site have been treated with hypnotherapy - something I've been considering but cannot afford it at the moment. You might want to look into that? I don't really know what else to say but many people who are emetophobic find a way to live pretty normal lives and have families - this fear doesn't have to prevent all of that from happening.

I wonder how many people on here are from Australia? Do you know anyone on here from Sydney?

Thank you so much for replying. It means alot that someone would take the time out of their own life to give me advice. Thank you. Hypnotherapy is too expensive for me too :-( I just wish I could live without constantly being afraid of when I might feel nauseous next!

I believe there are a few people on here from NSW. There is also the potential to be cured through gradual self-exposure (I know, how scary)...but it's meant to be done at a really slow pace until you're comfortable to progress further (i.e watch videos of ''it'' happening or helping someone who is sick). We really need to reprogramme our minds into believing that throwing up isn't so scary - it's completely natural and normal.

im not in oz........but just wanted you to know that your post could have been written by me........all the same fears and thoughts.

hopefully you will find some comfort here. i know my anxiety level has been cut in half just from the things i've learned in here.

welcome to the site.......relax
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm pretty sure your fear stems from the incident with your sister - it sounds absolutely awful and I'm not surprised it's affected you the way it has!

Have you tried to get any help for this? Is your doctor understanding? Perhaps you could go and have a chat with him/her and find out about a referral for some counselling/therapy.

Joining this site is a start and you'll get to read loads of posts here from people like you and you'll pick up ideas and advice and start finding your own way towards hopefully getting better.

Hi! I am new to this site and have been reading all the posts. I just can't believe what I see! Most of the posts could have been written by me. My family just doesn't understand it at all! I wrote a message the other day - winnieag, and I try to explain how I feel. I, too, feel that there is little hope for me now, since I've lived with it for 50 years! And to be honest, I'm not sure how I got thru it. I just know that there have many, many anxious times with the shaking panic and the whole nine yards... I don't think that my doctor would give me an anti-nausea med. just to keep in the house - but I've never told him about my fears either. I will keep you guys in my thoughts, Linda