Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default first step forward ever

Last weekend, I was in a bar at a big event with a lot of people I knew. My friend and I went to the bathroom and went into a large stall together. Someone threw up in the toilet in the stall next to us, and I had a panic attack on the floor. After about 5-10 minutes my friend helped me get up and we left the bathroom. I felt ruined. I couldn't hold a conversation with anyone who talked to me, or laugh at anything. I tried to dance with my friends and I couldn't even do that. I wanted to go home and go to bed, since it was just a few blocks from where I live. That's usually how it turns out when stuff like that happens - the rest of my night is ruined and I don't really feel like myself again until the next day. But I was embarrassed to say I wanted to leave, so I stayed. Eventually, I started loosening up and dancing again, and I actually had fun after a while. I think the whole episode only took about an hour out of my night. That sounds bad, but it's better than having to be alone for hours and usually have a full night's sleep to get back to normal, like I always have in the past. That was the first time I've ever pushed through it and "recovered" in the same night.

Default Re: first step forward ever

sounds like you did great! keep this in mind and keep moving forward.........i love that you did this.....

how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sounds your going in the right direction
    Keep going
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Olli, at a party or bar it should be pretty easy to convince yourself that the person booted not from a contagious illness but from drinking. I would advise you not to have a panic attack on the floor but instead to get the hell out of there ASAP. If the person had norovirus, being exposed to their puke would make you highly likely to catch it. The less time you are exposed to the puke, the better. Treat it like a fire alarm. Just get up and get out of there!!!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see