Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Emetophobia Research Study

Hi All,
    I received an email from a graduate student doing a thesis on emetophobia and was hoping that some forum users may be interested in participating to her in getting the information she needs.

If you're interested, details and her contact information is below. The forum itself and I have nothing to do with it, so I won't be able to answer any questions, but I think it's a great way to help the field of psychology become more aware of emet.

Thanks!

Rich

From Megan:

I am a mature student in the second and final year of a Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology at Ryerson University (Toronto, Ontario, Canada). I have chosen to do my thesis research on the topic of emetophobia, a decision I made, in part, because I have some first-hand knowledge of this fear and the powerful influence it can have on virtually every aspect of one’s life. It is my hope that this research will help to increase awareness and understanding of emetophobia, which may, in turn, contribute to finding effective ways of supporting those who live with emetophobic fears. The study involves the completion of an online survey through Qualtrics, a password-protected, secure survey website. It consists of a questionnaire package that includes some basic questions about demographics and 12 brief measures that are relevant to emetophobic experiences. The survey takes approximately one hour to complete, and participation is completely voluntary and confidential. As an expression of appreciation for participation, a donation will be made on each participant’s behalf to an internationally recognized, registered charity of his or her choice. I would like to assure you that I will conduct this research with the utmost respect for participants, their individual experiences, and their privacy. Your participation would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. If you are interested in participating, or if you have any questions about the study, please contact me at [email protected]

Default Re: Emetophobia Research Study

Hi there. I'm Megan, the student whose study Rich very generously posted to the site a few weeks ago. (Thank you, Rich.) I've been thinking about what might make participation easier for people who are considering it, and I thought it might be helpful if, instead of needing to contact me, wait to receive the link, etc., there was a link right here that could be followed directly to the survey. I'm going to post that link below:

http://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE?SID=SV_9QWyA4p4IYS8PGs&SVID=

Following this link also means that no one needs to contact me at all. For anyone who already has, thank you again. If you wondered about the protection of your confidentiality/anonymity after contacting me, I wanted to let you know that any contact or other personal information that you might have shared with me has been deleted and there is no record of it anywhere. The only thing attached to your responses will be a randomly generated ID number that I will only see at the conclusion of all participation, so it won't be connected to you in any way.

If anyone has any concerns, questions, or comments, or would like to contact me for any reason, you are more than welcome to do that, either here in this thread, at my username (Megan Pearson) on the site, or at my school e-mail given in the original post. I really appreciate your time and interest, and I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks.
    Megan

Default Re: Emetophobia Research Study: Two Weeks Left

Just a follow-up to the previous posts - I only have two weeks left to collect data for my thesis, although I may be able to keep the link open for a short time after that. I want to thank Rich for sharing the information about my research project and allowing me to post here. I also want to express my appreciation to the people who have participated so far - I know personally how difficult it can be, and just how deeply and widely emetophobia can affect life in general.

Unfortunately, while I have gotten some very helpful information, I haven't had enough responses to make it likely that this project will achieve its goals - to raise awareness of emetophobia, especially - but not only - among professionals, and in the longer term to help develop more effective and manageable ways to help and support people dealing with emetophobia. So I just wanted to add this last post and invite anyone who has not participated, but might be interested and willing to do so, to follow the link and complete the survey in the next couple of weeks. Please keep in mind that participation is completely voluntary and anonymous, and that there are absolutely no images in the survey - all questionnaires are text-only.

No matter how many responses I receive in total, I will do my best to use the information people share with me to accomplish what I hoped to do when I developed this study. I believe it's very important that people living with emetophobia are heard, understood, respected, and supported, and that when seeking treatment, find effective and tolerable options available.

Thank you for taking the time to read this information. I wish you all the best.

Megan

that survey is way too long

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you found the survey long. An hour is about average for this type of research, and most respondents have completed it in 20 - 50 minutes. However, I've had very few people from this site complete the study, and perhaps its length/duration is part of the explanation for that. I appreciate the feedback and will take it into consideration in the next phase.

I welcome thoughts, suggestions, and feedback that will help me make this research as tolerable and convenient as possible for people who are willing to participate.

Thanks again. All the best,
    Megan
    Last edited by Megan Pearson; 07-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.