Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was wondering in what drug-freeways people comfort themselves when they feel anxious and/or nauseated. I find the following helpful: using a heating pad on my tummy, epsom salts in the bath, rubbing peppermint oil on my tummy, I also do reflexology on my feet and hands, and I find that writing and doing crossword puzzles help (only because it helps me focus on something else). I thought it would be cool and helpful for all of us to share these ideas. [img]smileys/smilies_47.gif[/img]

Anna

if i feel really sick, i tend to hide in the bathroom and have a bath, with some chewing gum or smthing. i also find duvets, or anything soft like that will comfort me more than anything else. when im panicking, i like to be alone, and people hugging me, altho it is very comforting at other times, i just hate. i can get very irritable.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I usually try and concentrate on my breathing, pretending that when I exhale all the nausea is going out with it. But that's only when its really bad. Oh, I also come on here for support when its really bad. When its just a little, I just handle it usually.

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">hi anna- i do things to distract my mind like tapestry, reading a novel, going out for a walk or shopping, i find if i focus my thoughts elsewhere , my panic lessens- whereas , if i engage with the thoughts - even by trying to disuade them , i am actually giving them more attention and they are enhanced. Sometimes i escape by going to sleep - if i ever feel really bad though i just have to run - i just go out and walk it off- i am also like jenneh- i dont like to be touched when i feel ill- but if its 'anxiety' i love a foot or back rub from my husband which i find soothing and calms me down alot- rescue remedy is a bush flower essence which is a natural way to help with panic etc - also- pure peppermint oil is good to smell and relieves nausea - as do ginger and sea bands- although i guess its like anything - if you believe it will work- it will and if you don't , i guess it wont !!! lisa</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    lisa-intuitive 1

I chew mint gum... which I have done for years...Have to have with me at all times. And I usually write in my journal which really helps alot. Just recently I have found being by myself helps too. Also cool air comforts me...but ifs hot outside thats not gonna work lol....I use a cool cloth on my face and that relaxes me some. Also jumping online and talking to people or just distracting myself with a game helps alot.

Kris

I watch tv or go on the computer and cuddle on the couch, or read. talking to friends on the phone helps. If it's not really bad, i'll sing because it distracts me, and i love to do it! If i'm scared of someone else, I think of all the reasons why they CANT be sick. That one's hard though.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Photography works usually. If it's really bad I'll stare at patterns in things. Sometimes I write down the lyrics to a song. Or I could just listen to some, but they have to be ones where I can understand the words, or I really like the tune, or if it reminds me of something good. ('tis why I usually bring around my tiny-not very good-not much space-cheap mp3 player.) It works, though. Reading is also nice. As long as it's something to take my mind of stuff.
    -Anna

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

hey spilled-milk- are you taking over my role as 'forum poet' eh???!!??

well- i have to admit yours is kinda cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you guys know that i was addicted to extra strong mints once during this - i had to have at least 3 packets at hand and one in my mouth atall times or i would feel severe nausea and anxiety - total panic- i rang my dad one night when i'd ran out and made him drive 20 mins to the garage to buy me some or i thought i'd die or go insane with the panic- it all started because i felt a bit queesy and my mum said ' sucking a mint may help' so i tried it and it did help- but my o.c.d was so bad back then - 10 years ago now- that i took it all alittle too literally- in retrospect - how on earth did i not become ill if all i ate was those bloody hot extra strong mints!!! i even slept sucking them!!!!!!!! i probably have 4 ulcers now!!!! hhee heeee!! silly me eh- lisa</TD></TR>
    lisa-intuitive 1

Hi, I do a crossword usually or cross stitch which I have just taken up or maybe a jigsaw puzzle. I find that distraction is the best thing when you are feeling very sick and in a panic. Sometimes I have got up in the middle of the night with the panic and have sat up in bed doing a crossword until I feel tired and that helps take the panic away.

<T>
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">pussinboots- i too find that sometimes if i am really tired or very busy- i'm like' oh , for god's sake -lisa- i dont have time for this' and i just stop the panic straight away!!! shame it doesnt work like that all the time eh!!!!!</TD></TR>
    lisa-intuitive 1

Hi Lisa, yes thats true, panic can be so time consuming can't it? Also I often make myself very tired just through sheer worry and panic.

<T>
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">my problem is that i run on over drive- i am very underweight as i hardly eat at all- i look after 3 kiddies and cope with all this 'head stuff' on about 4 hours sleep tops a night!!!! i am so used to being 'hyperactive' that if i were to stop for a second i think i would probably collapse!!! i am always thinking - so much so that i often wish my own brain would just 'shut up for a bit!!!!!!'[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    lisa-intuitive 1

Good idea!

Hmm, if its not real bad, then I like to read or watch TV and distract myself like that, or go on the computer and come here which realy helps to make it less worse.

If it is real bad tho, I talk to my bf (via IM) and he helps me get through it very good, or I sit on the couch with blankies and the Weather Channel on and just sit and try and ride it out. If it is real bad I am too distracted to read or do anything like that tho, like I couldn't concentrate on it at all. I used to pace and pace when it was real bad, like I litearally used to not be able to sit still, but I dropped that habit, and now I can sit down when I feel like that.

What comforts me is: watching TV, reading a magazine, talking on the phone, listening to some relaxing music, maybe lighting some candles, and I tend to doodle a lot. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

<T>
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">i began to be a bit 'arty' myself after doing 'creative therapy' in hospital - it was really helpful!!! you just get heaps of acryllic paint, put some blobs in a cup and add some water - lots of bright electric colours!!! Then grab a board orcanvas and do whats called 'marbelling' anyone can do it- you drop splashes of paint all over the board and let the colours run into one another by lightly running through it with the 'wrong' end of a paintbrush which is quite handy really coz i can't use the right end at all!!! All these images and faces etc apper magically and you can manipulate the design into creating what you like- i find its great tokill about 2-3 hours and u become so engrossed in it that the time flies by- before i know it the nausea and anxiety has subsided- plus- you dont have to be an artist to create some really cool stuff AND if you're really lucky you'll end up exhibiting it and make some money out of it too!!! i've done a few exhibitions now and always right a piece of poetry to go alongside the pieces i am showing - its really therapeutic for me- so- give it a try- its a good 'distractor'!!!!! lisa</TD></TR>
    lisa-intuitive 1

yes i do weird things

No one can touch me.
    i prefer not to move
    i will take a hot bath if it's not too bad
    if it's really bad i will lay on the cold cement outside(NO matter what the temperature) until i pass out

if it's not bad tho i just sit up..b/c it seems to be worse laying down eat some animal crackers, watch some t.v. and sometimes i'll sing this little song to myself i learned in church a million years ago, it's called "heaven's child" I also do some relaxation exercises that include a lot of stable even breathing, i loove yoga although i dont have too much free time to do it lately

cold water running on my hands
    coca cola or pepsi is essential

i have officially overdosed on pepto bismol and tums...if i had to eat another tum i think i would hurt myself...i'm sure there's more but i can't think of it right now..this was a good idea i like this thread
    DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer