Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down Uhh is this healthy?

To help me get over my fear of v*, I watched a bunch of Youtube videos of other people v*ing.
    Is that healthy? :/
    It seems like it would just be weird.

Default Re: Uhh is this healthy?

It's pretty gross, and I always feel very disturbed and regret it. But this is the sort of thing you do with exposure therapy. It's supposed to help in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by abbi View Post
    It's pretty gross, and I always feel very disturbed and regret it. But this is the sort of thing you do with exposure therapy. It's supposed to help in the long run.
    Okay, thanks. It was pretty gross. I guess I'm kind of glad I watched them, though. Thanks for responding so quick

No problemo! Go you! You're very brave!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. That's exactly what exposure treatment is about.

It's not for everyone, because some people flat out can not handle it, but if you can, and if it helps, then power to you!

Good job on trying to take steps towards helping yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by abbi View Post
    No problemo! Go you! You're very brave!
    Ty :]

Quote Originally Posted by tman563 View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. That's exactly what exposure treatment is about.

It's not for everyone, because some people flat out can not handle it, but if you can, and if it helps, then power to you!

Good job on trying to take steps towards helping yourself
    Ok, thanks! I didn't enjoy it but I thought I might be like a weirdo for watching them. Haha.

I think watching a film where you know there's gonna be a v* scene is better then just plain watching people do it on youtube, as you are unprepared and can have a go at dealing with the shock, like you would get in real life, Kevin and Perry film had me almost run out the house the first time I seen the v* scene!
    I'm guilty of being innocent

Ok thanks! (:

If your interested in the idea of exposure treatment/desensitization, here is a resource you can check out:

http://www.emetophobia.bravehost.com/index.html

I was actually debating watching some videos today... just to see how I would handle it. The link in the post above mine helped me a bit... but I still haven't made it through all the images. I don't think that exposing yourself to videos of people v*ing is a bad thing... it is a very controlled way of desensitization.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by tman563 View Post
    If your interested in the idea of exposure treatment/desensitization, here is a resource you can check out:

http://www.emetophobia.bravehost.com/index.html
    Wow thanks a bunch!

I made it through the exposure thing with pretty much no anxiety at all.
    I actually laughed at the last one...
    is this weird?

Smile Re: Uhh is this healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Help Me Please View Post
    To help me get over my fear of v*, I watched a bunch of Youtube videos of other people v*ing.
    Is that healthy? :/
    It seems like it would just be weird.
    I tried "shock treatment" on myself and found it only made me worse. Over time though, for reasons beyond my understanding, I have won over most of my phobia. I think it came from seeing "things" here and there over a long period of time until I didn't get phased. If you go the "shock way" I suggest talking to a professional, or just taking it really slow. Just my opinions though I am no doctor. Hope you the best in overcoming your phobia!

I made it through the exposure thing with pretty much no anxiety at all.
    I actually laughed at the last one...
    is this weird?
    Not really, seeing things on the computer and in real life are very different. Maybe the sound triggers your fear more than the imagery. Maybe the idea of "catching what made them sick" drives your fear deep down. I went straight to image 43 and just was like "bla sucks for him." Your not strange.
    Last edited by teh folder; 05-23-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Exposure therapy is meant to be gradual. For example, start with a drawing of a person with their hand over their mouth and cheecks full, and when that causes you no anxiety, move on to a more challenging picture. But if you're having no anxiety watching the videos, as you've said, then maybe your phobia isn't about others v*, but only yourself?

I think it is to be honest... except id delete your history, imagine your mum and dads face lol. But yeah if normally it would scare you do it! face your fears one step at a time good luck
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"

I think it all depends on how bad your phobia is. I always cover my eyes and ears during v* scenes in movies, but other emets on here have no problem with this.

ive watched them on youtube too but never seems to help.if u did it next to me i would still have a stroke.

haha I have watched youtube vids too watching people v* in hopes of "exposure" therapy. They thoroughly grossed me out but some of them I couldnt help but laugh at. But I am still so terrified of v*!!!
    "This too shall pass"