Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello All!

I am relatively new here. I've read lots of posts...and can relate with everything. I've been an emetophobia since I was 5 years old. It seems to have gotten worse with age. I'm now 31. About 5 years ago, my emetophobia seemed to blossom into major anxiety...constant...panic attack. Luckily, I sought treatment rightaway - went on Paxil and Xanax - and am much better now.I highly recommend medications!! I think almost everyone could benefit fromsomething.

Anyhow, the reason that I'm posting now, is that my husband and I are about to start trying for a baby.I know that I will not be able to take the Xanax when I am pregnant. I'm ok with that, as my ob/gyn has already told me that she will give me anti-nausea meds. I believe (hope) that any panic attacks that I have...will be lessened with these anti-nausea meds. I do, however, need to stay on the Paxil...without it...I'm afraid that I will have worse anxiety problems and panic attacks.

Have any of you been pregnant and taken Paxil? And if you so, were there any complications? There don't seem to have been many studies done with Paxil on pregnant women. So, any personal experiences that you can share, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Also,have any ofyou had luck with anti-nausea medication while pregnant? If so, what was it and what dosage were you on? How fast did it work? Did you take it every day? Anything else you can think of that could be of help would be wonderful!!!

Thanks in advance for sharing!!

Jen.

I'm pregnant now and have been on Paxil in the past, and went off Celexa to get pregnant. I would NOT advise you to be on Paxil while pregnant unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Getting off Paxil is really difficult, though, so you should give yourself lots and lots of time to do it slowly and properly. You should do lots of research about Paxil, and about Paxil in pregnancy specifically - here's a good place to start: www.motherisk.org - do a search for Paxil.

In any case, one thing I've found, both in this pregnancy (I'm 13 weeks) and in my last one (I have a 5 year-old daughter) is that I'm way less - like, WAY LESS - anxious while I'm pregnant.....I don't know if it's the hormones or what, but there you go.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. Pregnancy can be trying at times....I'm exhausted, somewhat nauseous (seems to be getting better) and have chronic sinus congestion, but it's totally worth it.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

im not an emetophobic but my partner is and so when i got pregnant there was the worry of morning sickness on his behalf. Luckily for me i was never ill, im sure hormones in pregnancy will help you. the doctors will be very supportive, and offer you anti emet drugs in labour too, ( i begged them from the moment i got pregs!)

Good luck both of you with your pregnancies, mine will be over soon as im in slow labour now!! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]
    I love john x x x

Wow Charlibunny! How exciting!!! Congratulations - let us know how it goes!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

First - excting Charlibunny - we are all with you.

Jely - I don't know about Paxil and pregnancy as I've never taken any anti-anxiety drugs. The reason I am posting is to tell you that being pregnant DOES NOT mean you will be sick, or even feel nauseous. I had no sickness with my daughter (I will admit to being a tiny bit nauseous on the odd morning, but dry toast cured it, and it was probably only about half a dozen times in all) and my Mum had no sickness when she was pregnant with both me and my brother. I know lots of other mums who never got sick also, so DON'T assume you will![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

As for the birth, my body seemed to know what to do, and I had absolutley no appetite the day before I went into labour - I didn't feel ill, just not hungry - so when I did go into labour, my stomach was empty anyway!

Best wishes

Jill xxx

Hey hun I am sure you will do great. I was on Paxil before I got pregnant and when I found out I was pregnant I dropped all my mediacation. (BAD ME) Go off your Paxil slowly with the support of your doctor and OBGYN.

I could have stayed on it I found out from my current doctor and it would have been fine, but without all the studies I didn't want to take the chances. There is an anti nauseant mad that they can give to pregnant women that to date has posed no problem to the baby.

I am on Celexa now not Paxil because the doctor felt there would be less side effects from it that I had experienced with the Paxil.

Anyways. I am sure that you will do great. CONGRATULATIONS on your decision. It is the most wonderful thing. I think you will be more concerned about the little being growing inside you than you will be about the other things. I wasn't too bad at all and The only times I was sick, were my fault. We were moving on a hot hot day and I pushed myself too hard. Theother time the same I was stressed again about the move.

Like Scamp said your body seems to know that you are about to go into labour. I didn't eat the day before or that night so my stomach was empty. BUT BOY did I go through a nesting period big time the days pryor. LOL

Good luck hun
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Jen,

Iwant to warn you against askingpeople on the internet for advice on medication. No matter who we SAY we are, we could all be 13-year-old boys (you know what I mean?). This is serious stuff you're considering, so take it very seriously and consult face-to-face with experts in the medical profession.

I extend the same warning to people READING advice from others about medication. Edited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by charlibunny

im not an emetophobic but my partner is and so when i got pregnant there was the worry of morning sickness on his behalf. Luckily for me i was never ill, im sure hormones in pregnancy will help you. the doctors will be very supportive, and offer you anti emet drugs in labour too, ( i begged them from the moment i got pregs!)

Good luck both of you with your pregnancies, mine will be over soon as im in slow labour now!! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

congratulations, on going into labor. i hope you have the baby soon!
    ♥Stephanie

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I am going to continue to take Paxil when I'm pregnant. I was never really considering not taking Paxil while pregnant ever. I'mstill abit worried about it...b/c there haven't been many studies done on it.

My regular dr...who prescribes me the Paxil...is quite confident that the pregnancy will go smoothly and that the baby will be just fine. I have an apt this Friday...just to rediscuss...and hopefully for him to alleviate some of my concerns. He doesn't deliver babies anymore...but used to...and had to quit...due to the rising insurance costs. He does treat both adults and children of all ages. I plan to take my baby(ies) to him instead of a pediatrician. I completely trust him.

It was my ob/gyn that caused me to be moreconcerned. She has not had any patients that were on Paxil while pregnant. She recommended Zoloft. I tried to go on Zoloft and off Paxil - without success. I saw my ob/gyn last week...and asked why she recommended Zoloft over Paxil to her patients...b/c the studies that I have seen for Zoloft are no better than Paxil. She said that this is only because she hasn't yet treated anyone that's been on Paxil while pregnant.

I've heard from a few ladies who had healthy babies that were taking Paxil while pregnant, and that is ancouraging to me. Hopefully, I will help the next woman that is on Paxil and trying to get pregnant.