Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Getting worse

Default Getting worse

Hello, I don't really know what to put, but I am glad I finally found somewhere that seems really supportive, and of course people are going through the same thing. I have had emetophobia for as long as I can remember, and I'm not sure if it is the same with you, but can remember clearly practically every encounter I have had related to it. Recently it has been getting so much worse, I am 17 and obviously friends are going out and having fun, I can't do any of that, my school work is being effected, and I was recently in hospital which I think has made it worse. I was considering on trying to get help because it is literally controlling everything, but I can't even begin to think how I would tell my family about it, any tips would be great, and also the different types of treatment.

Thank you so much, and I hope this post is ok

Default Re: Getting worse

welcome to the site! hopefully you will find some help and comfort here. it helps me just reading and posting. i just recently told my mom and my husband about this phobia.......and i am 58......i've just kept it to myself because until recently i didnt know that it had a name.......i thought i was all alone. when i did get the nerve to tell them.....i showed them alot of posts from the site....which helped explain how i feel ......everyone says...."no one likes to throw up" but this is way more than that.......it can dictate your life.

you need to set little goals for yourself to accomplish that might be out of your comfort zone......go out with friends.....tell yourself you can go home if you want.....chances are you will get distracted having fun and stay out......it's the anxiety of thinking about doing anything that will keep you home......so push a little each day......i'm not saying i always can achieve this.....but i test myself daily.....i feel better when i accomplish even something small.

good luck.....we're here if you need us
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

welcome to the site! it is really helpful and comforting here!

Hey Kerry!

As everyone has said, welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help comes from it, I only got diagnosed last week and already I'm more confident thanks to regular visitors to the sight like Olchesky and Rache. Once you get to know people a bit more it's nice too. Well done for even plucking up courage to pop a thread on here I'd suggest definitely tell the folks, it's just nice for them to know, and for you to know that you're not alone and keeping it to yourself. Just explain the truth about how v*ing or the thought of it makes you feel, I'm sure they'll be understanding The more you suppress the worst it gets I found. Go to your gp and also talk to them, they may be able to give you some tips on relaxation and stuff, I start my therapy next week! If you ever need anybody you know we're here xxx

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i just recently told my mom and my husband about this phobia.......and i am 58......i've just kept it to myself because until recently i didnt know that it had a name.......i thought i was all alone. when i did get the nerve to tell them.....i showed them alot of posts from the site....which helped explain how i feel ......everyone says...."no one likes to throw up" but this is way more than that.......it can dictate your life.
    Olschesky, how on earth did you keep your phobia to yourself!? I only recently found out it has a name too, but my friends and family all knew, even when I was a little kid, that I absolutely flipped out when confronted with any *idea* of V*! They just thought I was nuts

And Kerry, welcome! I've found this site to be amazingly helpful as both a support group and a learning forum. I've learned SO much about the body and viruses since I've joined. There are many of us "life long" emets here who have survived our teenage, college, and childbearing years and can give you tons of advice for coping. What were you in the hospital for?

Hi and welcome. I'm in a similar boat, i'm 18 and my social life/school work is affected. I think your family would be supportive, as they've probably already noticed little quirks, my family certainly have. Have you spoken to your school or anything?

Hello I am new on this site. I am so happy to see that other people suffer from this phobia, and also that people feel that they don't have to be embarrassed about it. Luckily I have a very supportive boyfriend who will always reassure me that I won't be sick (that is my fear, I don't know where it comes from). Sometime I know I irritate my friends and family though by constantly checking if the food they have cooked me is safe to eat. I hate the stress of not being able to fully enjoy a delicious looking meal just because I don't know if the cream used in a pasta sauce was gone past its use by date or not. When I go to the fridge to check the pot (or even root through the bin to look at the use by date on the empty packet) I feel so rude! Especially when my mum is cooking for me, I feel like she must think I don't trust her.
    I am looking forward to understanding more about this phobia and hopefully coming to terms with it, as I can't live my life in fear of food and what it might do to me - we need it to survive after all.

My boyfriend just broke up with me after 3.5 yrs. I finally figured out the name for the problem last December and told him all about it. He was very supportive, but also thought that his support would make me better. Since he wants to travel by airline and spend lots of time with his future grandchildren, he has decided that I won't be able to do that, so he broke up with me. He says he thought that just being with a person who could understand and would take care of me, would solve everything. Now I really want to get rid of this phobia and get on with my life. Any ideas to make it go away?

That's a shame. Everyone has phobias I am sure but it is just that this one you can't run away from because it is you - think how much easier it would be if you were scared of spiders and you could just shut the door on it!! I have just joined this site and find it quite comforting. Hopefully being on this site may make it easier on you to be able to talk to others who feel the same as what you do.