Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Quick Question

Just curious if anyone else does this??..........Ok.....if you HEAR that someone is sick and even if you haven't been near that personor even KNOW that person just the thought that someon ehas "it".......does that spark your panick or anxiety? I hate that it does that to me....it makes no sense....in my rational mind I know i have absolutely nothing to worry about...but its that fear part of my brain that kicks in to overdrive so to speak! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate this phobia.

kris

I understand completely. If I hear from a friend who knows
    someone who knows someone else who is sick, I worry that it's been
    passed from one to the other. It sound silly, and I don't want to
    freak you out, but I heard that people can actually carry a bug, and
    not get sick, but be able to pass it to other people. So I panic
    thinking they may be carrying it with no symptoms. So even if I
    don't know who is sick, or have nothing to worry about.....I still
    freak out. Carrie

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I completely understand! I used to be like that too. I still get that "shock" but am able to stop the panic setting in now. Especially yesterday - I had a lecture and we were talking about learning styles - anyway the lecturer started talking about some sort of cigarette that made ppl v* when they smoked it to get them to stop smoking but he kept using the v* word - I did not like that at all! I was not prepared for it and found that hard to deal with - as soon as that lec was over I was out the door heading home where I could panic in peace![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Why do ppl have to talk about it???[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I'm with Chloe. I still get the initial reaction but can usually stop the panic. I remember 20 years agohearing that Johnny Carson had a stomach flu and panicking, even though he was in another country and across a continent from me. The things we do to ourselves, eh?
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

I totally know what you mean. I remember about8 years ago or so, when the Rosie Odonnel show was still on, her sidekick had called her the night before and said he had a stomach virus and I immediately paniced and didn't eat for a few days. They were in New York about 1500 miles from me! I've done that on a number of instances such as the local tv anchorwoman, radio dj, family who live 300 miles away, I can go on and on, but I think I'm with the others who said I can stave off the panic now, although I think I'd still get queasy just thinking about it.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I used to do the same thing. When the local traffic lady on the morning news was sick, I thought to myself it was closing in and if it is there only 20 miles away then its coming for me. Now if I hear about that it is easier to calm myself and let myself know it is not near me. I also take care of myself a bit better with supplements and handwashing. (Knock on wood)
    The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~ee cummings~

i kno wht u mean. this may vbe a little differnt, but i was in my psychology class the other day, and thy seem to ALWAYS update each other on the last time they were sick! most the time being like a day or so or whatever... and sumtimes just knowing that tehy were sick recently, or their mum was or smthing, makes me panic a little. but i usually mnage to just beat it down.

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you guys so much for responding! I am just so sorry you all deal with thistoo. I guess all we can do is keep that rational voice in our head talking!! Keep on telling ourselves...in this situation anyway....that we are ok and have no reason to worry.................So much easier said than done unfortunately[img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]

Kris

I never used to be like that. The only time I'm like that is if I find out my husband is working with someone who just had the bug or if just say my grandma had, and my mom goes shopping or something with her. Then I'm afraid my mom will get it.

I'm like that to. When I hear of people have in "bug" no matter how far away they are from me, I get this wierd feeling in my stomach and start to panic. I hate that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.