Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ok, because of my phobia and panic attacks which can go off the charts I have not been to a dentist in about 5 years. It was horrific, sitting in that chair gagging and gagging asking for water and them saying no because of what they did to my teeth, wont go back there ever! I need dental work done, I have 2 broken teeth and with one he has to cut my gums. I have been on medication for the infection from my mouth off and on for about 6 months or more, the sad part is I can only go on 1 medication because I am allergic to penicllin and amoxil etc. . I found a dentist who will give me a IV in my arm and I will be sleeping when he does all the dental work that needs done which is a lot. The secretary said that they give you ativan and demerol and I gasped, no I am allergic to that! So she said dont worry we will find something for you. I don't know if I am allergic to demerol, morphine or even oxy-cod's but many people who I know have thrown up because of those drugs and seeing patients throwing up in emergency room after they have taken them and hearing the doctor say we are going to give you gravol with the demerol because it may make you feel sick, so that is my excuse, I won't go there. So tomorrow which will be Wednesday I go to this dentist who is about 30 minutes away from where I live just for a consultation and x-rays. My nurse practioner got this appt. for meand offered to go with me, but I said no Janie its ok I think I will be fine. This doctor apparently is used to patients like me, in the back of my mind I am thinking no he hasn't seen anyone like me! The dentalassistants there are all RN's. I need to know howto calm myself down? I cant take any med's because I will be driving. I know thatall he will dois look and take x-rays but the thought of those x-rays in my mouththat might make me gag is freaking me out. My stomach has butterfliesand it is only Tuesday! I know that probably in the new year I will be going in to have the work done, sleeping of course and that freaks me out but I can't worry about that now. Iknow for a fact with me feeling the way I do I won't be eating anything until this appt. is over. I can't eat when my stomach feels like this heck can't even smoke which is a good thing!. I need some advice how to calm myself down. I am so scared that Iam on the brink of tears.I hate this I really do how the panic takes over you and you can't control it at all. Please give me some advice anything to help me stay level headed. I need to remain calm because if I'm not I will leave that office, done it before on people and will do it again.

i know how u feel...

when i had braces.. i had to ahve those HORRIBLE moulds that are practically GUARANTEED to make you gag. i was s***ting myself before every ortho appointment incase she wanted me to have one of those. one time she wanted to do one, i freaked and said "no u cant, i feel ill, and im scared of sick". lol so she looked at me and went.. " um, ok" lol. whoops [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

but what i did to calm me down, was to read up on relaxation techniques and "practice"., i put myself in that situation, so to speak, and practiced calming myself down. at one point i even stuffed a whole satsuma in my mouth, because thats basically what those moulds feel lke. i found a relaxation technique that worked for me, and made sure i remembered it for when i had the appointment.

but x-rays are just fine. i can understand you r being worried.. but i usually get too distracted lookin at all the machines and tying to keep my head dead still that i forget about my anxiety!!

good luck.

Jen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know how you feel!I hate the dentist. When I was little and my mother regulated all of my doctors and dentist appointments, I would SCREAM and cry when it was time for the dentist. I don't know why. I mean, I do know that I hated the x rays. They had to use the children's size films in my mouth unil I was 18, even though I had an adult size jawat age10 becauseall of my adultteeth had come in, and it was allbecause I have such a strong gag reflex. Its terrible, but now I only really go when I know there is something wrong with my mouth... like last time it was the infection in my wisdom teeth that dragged me there... I was in so much pain. I couldn't swallow, talk, eat, drink... anything! So I made myself an emergency appointment. A week later, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I was put under with a general anesthesia, and then I slept for like three days lol. But anway, now I know that I have two small caveties that need to be filled, but my emet has been so bad that I keep associating the dentist with v*, so I keep putting it off. I need to go soon... but the caveties don't hurt. The only reason I know I have them is because the dentist put some camera in mymouth andfound them.Maybe I will wait a while longer...

So, yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I need sedation dentistry I think... I can't handle it very well. It just creeps me out.

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ontariogirl,

I really feel for you and understand your fear. I was exactly the same way when I was younger, and still get nervous at the dentist - for major work. I'm flattered that you ask me specifically for advice, but really - you may have noticed that I'm not very good at giving people advice for specific situations they find themselves in where they have panic symptoms. That's because I had no solution for this problem myself when I was phobic. The only "solution" is a long-term solution...slowly but surely getting the proper treatment to overcome the phobia once and for all. Then things like the dentist just won't matter to you. As I said, I get a little nervous now, but that's it, whereas before I was freaked out beyond belief. But that took years! The only solution before tomorrow is probably a) medication (and someone else to drive you) b) doing your best to practice the relaxation techniques and ways to address panic attacks - found on the "treatments" section of this site or c) just hanging on and putting up with it - knowing you'll be sooooooo much better with fixed teeth!

I know this isn't much consolation and I'm really really sorry. It's a terrible thing to live with this phobia. It affects so many aspects of our lives! The only good news is that it's treatable, and you don't have to live like this forever.

All the best to you at the dentist. And remember - dental x-rays, etc. do NOT cause emets to vomit. Even gagging doesn't cause vomiting! Explain your phobia to them as best you can - don't be ashamed, and allow them to care for you and help you. You'll be ok.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Ouch, having an I.V. while getting dental work done,...I have never heard of that. Be advised that Demerol is a heavy painkiller and can make you sick. What exactly are you having done, root cannel, repair,...my dentsist was so good, he used a high grade freezing agent so I felt no pain even when he used the freezing needle itself. Ask your dentist what options you have available aside from Demerol,...the pain only really starts after the work is done. Ativan is a good crutch to use during the procedure. I refused to have any painkillers because of the side effects.

We will talk very soon sweety.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

Thanks for the advice, this sucks. I know that I will have to have the impressions done which is so gross so I do agree with Jenneh. I am not looking forward to this at all! Sparky I will be calling you tonight after 6.

Awww, I feel for you!! Remember when I was in so much pain last week? It turned out to be a wisdom tooth that is bad and needs to be pulled! I am getting it pulled on Friday morning and I am sooooooo scared!!!! I really have no advice, just sympathy and empathy cause I am right there with you. But, they did do x-rays last week and I freaked, because of the gag thing, and she was nice. She kinda bent the card thing so I wouldn't gag and told me to breathe through your nose. Maybe you can try that! Let me know how it goes!!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Ok it is done! I am sitting in the office waiting and waiting, his assistant told me not to worry easier said then done. The x-ray that I had was easy, it was the one where it went around your head. He came in and said he can pull my 2 broken teeth at the back but (and there is always a but) when he puts me out, there is a hard instrument that he puts in my mouth at the front so my front teeth will clamp downon it and he is afraid that when they do this my front teeth are so thin that they could break, thatI would have to sign a paper stating that if my tooth breaksthat he can pull it! umm that isn't good at all. He doesn't dofillings so he suggested a dentist who will heavily sedate me to havethe front teeth done and all fillings that are needed.The dentist I saw today is covered.Problem the dentist with whom I spoke toafter I came home is expensive! For 1 hour it is $550.00, for 2hours it is $680.00, that is only for sedating me like sleepy sedate me, I can't afford that at all. So asmy friend said suck it up and go toadentist who will freeze you to no end and get it done. I phoned several dentists and I am waiting for there answers to see how much to have procedures done and get it done before itis too late.

Thanks to you all ! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hey Ontariogirl -

Really, I suggest you go to your family doctor (or even ask one of the dentists) and get Ativan. Ativan is a wonder-drug for anxiety. That's because it totally prevents panicking AND it's an "anti-emetic" so it prevents vomiting too. If I were as freaked out as you describe, I'd want them to prescribe 2 mg. That will send you totally to la la land. But not in a bad "woozy" way...you're just plain calm.

Anyway, I shouldnt' give medical advice, so please go ask your doctor!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Sage; My doctor has given me Ativan and I do agree with you 100%! I was petrified of getting a upper GI, so my nurse pract. met me at the hospital. Before the X-ray I took 2 ativan! I am lying on the table drinking the chalky stuff feeling really wierd. I got dressed, and told Janie that I feel loopy! I remember being in her car, going to Tim's she bought me a tea and a muffin, I kind of remember Janie dropping me off at my parents. I was sitting out on the deck having a smoke with my sister who was up from Ottawa and all of a sudden I brought up the white chalky drink, it just came up, no gag nothing, I was so high I was like holy %&amp;%$ Michelle and started shaking and freaking out she asked are you ok? I said I just threw up but I don't see my muffin! She took me downstairs and I slept for about 5 hours and I woke up not remembering throwing up which Michelle told me is was a little bit on the deck until she reminded me! So yes, I have taken ativan, those little pills that go under your tongue are expensive little buggers, I got 6 of them and they were $13.50! Just waiting for phone calls from around where I live with what is and isn't covered with my drug card with the dentist. Then when I get in to see a dentist I am sure Janie will prescribe me the ativan and will go with me if I need her, she is really good that way.

amazing - you could even be sick and not be afraid on this drug. unfortunately, it's highly habit-forming, so people with anxiety CANNOT take it regularly. but for times like this, it's great. i used it to fly to europe and always take one at the dentist. every year my doc gives me a prescription for 30 (probably the same price as 6! - it's the dispensing fee that's high) Anyway, 30 always lasted me just fine through the year. Now that I'm cured of the phobia, I've got 25 left over in 2004!! (Two flights, one dentist appt)

i used to be terrified of the dentist too untill i needed braces. the worse part was the dental impressions which do make you feel like your going to gag. When i was younger i needed 2 teeth out and was terrified, so much so that i was on the floor under a chair in the room screeming. the nurse injected my arm with anaesetic (sp?) and then i was given gas too. it took me 7 hours to come round, and aparently i was sick a few times and i dont even remember! so my advise is dont panic, if i had been relaxed they could have just anaespatised me as normal and i would have been fine without all the hassle. last yearito have my brace fitted and i opted for the injections into my gums that numb it. i would advise this if you can keep calm. it only stings for a second while they inject, then you stay awake and feel nothing and dont have the side effects. i survived this after my previous traumatic experience.

I have had 8 surgeries. I have been completly knocked out, tube down my throat, they breathe for me, the whole 9 yards.... all I do is ask for anti-emetics before they do anything.

I make sure the Dr. administering anistesia is FULLY aware that the surgery that I am there for is NOTHING compared to what will happen if I v***. I tell them they WILL have a new patient for the Psych ward.

They are always super understanding and give me more than one anti-emetic. Ive never once gotten sick from Demerol or Moriphine.

Is it safe to take Valium before receiving novocaine? What about OTC anti-emetics (e.g. dramamine, etc.)

Thanks,

Lewis

Edited by: lewisr

Lewis,

Ask a doctor or pharmacist (or even your dentist)this question - don't rely on "advice" you get over the internet...it can be dangerous to do so.

Regardless of the answer, I don't believe nococaine is even used much anymore in dentistry. Ask your dentist the exact drug they're using. Then, no matter what - there ARE excellent anti-anxiety meds out there. I take Ativan before going to the dentist, and I'm happy as a clam the whole time.