Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I now believe i have emetophobia?

For the as far back as i can remember, I have had this horrible fear of hearing anyone throw up. including my family members. I run out of the area if someone is about to be sick. If anyone ever got that stomach flu thing in my house, I would leave the house for days. Anymore, this has gotten much worse and extended to making travel for me impossible as well. It's hard for me to travel due to the fact that I am always thinking "what if I got sick?"... or "what's going to happen if I feel sick?". I have this horrid fear of being sick to my stomach and literally cannot do anything when I feel this way. Being that I am 17, I still cry and want nobody around me but my mother when I feel this way. It's embarassing. I wish there was something I could do about this. Most times, I shake violently when I think I feel sick and sometimes have a racing heart,trouble breathing, and sleeping. I feel that I can't do much without this on my mind. I feel so alone among all my friends as well.

Default Re: I now believe i have emetophobia?

welcome to the site you sound alot like me......it is such a scarey phobia.......have you been to any kind of therapy for this yet? i havent been able to find a therapist yet here that really deals with it......but my regular dr has me on prozac......which totally helps.....and valium for when it's just overwhelmong........

just finidng this site and reading posts has relaxed my mind ALOT.......knowing i am not alone with this and that there's a place i can come and say my true feelings and not be looked at as crazy. there are lots of good ideas on here and seems there's always someone on here to "talk" you through bad times.

keep reading and posting..........glad you found us
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is anyone out there...? What do you do in mid attack? if you have no meds.. I have no meds.. and am so scared..

Ditto what olschesky said, this forum alone can help your confidence and nerves a lot, by just knowing that there are others like you dealing with this.

That being said, you can boost that confidence even more by talking to your family about this. Let people know about your fear, then you won't be embarassed or ashamed to feel how you do. Help them understand, and teach them to help you.

Finding this forum is a great start, so stay at it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have the same problems! I used to not sleep becauase my room was next to the bathroom. I would stay awake at night worrying about hearing someone get sick. I sometimes slept downstairs for no reason.
    I have the biggest problem hearing it! And I also have the same panics when I feel sick or when someone else is.
    You are definitely not alone, so don't worry!
    It's like people have said, it's good to keep family and friends close, and try to explain it to them so that they can understand it and help you out.

Yep, you're an emet. But, the good news is you found this website and the people here have been really nice which is great so far! I'm going to try and start taking the zoloft that my doctor prescribed me, along with trying to find a therapist.

Yeah, that's emet alright! Welcome to the site!