Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Very scary....awful dizziness...labyrinthitis.

Hello Everyone,
    I haven't been on for a few weeks because I have been recovering from something that really freaked me out...I had a run of the mill cold/sinus infection which I was given zithromax for. Then I started feeling dizzy...well, each day was worse and for about 3 days I was flat on my back unable to function because I was so dizzy! AND, if I did move, I felt sick, and on 3 occasions came very close to "losing it." I was petrified!! I couldn't eat, my hubby had to help me up the stairs, in the bathroom, etc. I managed to go to an ENT, getting in the car was horrible and I was so scared of getting sick...he told me that the cold virus irritated and inflamed my INNER ear, where the semi-circular canals are, that govern balance, etc. He gave me meclizine, an anti-dizziness, anti- emetic...it was supposed to blunt the sensation of dizziness, but it just made me tired. And he told me I just have to wait until it subsides, in 5 or more days!!! Well, it has been 2 weeks today and I am still a little dizzy. I can eat again and do most things but driving is still difficult. I can't turn my head fast.

THis whole thing was a NIGHTMARE! I hear that it is common and the docs see it in spring and fall with colds, etc. I have never experienced anything like it and never want to again. I mean, literally unable to function because of vertigo...

Has anyone heard of this or know about it??? Now I will be paranoid every time I get a cold or something...please reply... I am still shaken by the whole thing and just want to be "normal" again...thanks.

Default Re: Very scary....awful dizziness...labyrinthitis.

its so interesting that you wrote this. I have had a cold for the past week. It hasnt felt like my typical colds, but I have been congested, a very dry annoying cough, headache and last night I had some really weird dizziness. Of course I started to panic bc I had meningitis and minus the respiratory symptoms, headaches, and dizziness and nausea really freak me out, after spending a week in the hospital on sever pain meds. But I totally understand how you feel bc I experienced first hand with meningitis...I hope you feel better soon. I know for me, mine lasted for about 6 months and now I do get dizzy on and off, but then again, we had different things...It will subside soon, but nausea from dizziness is awful...

i was diagnosed with labrynthitis in 1982.......ended up in the hospital with an iv of dramamine. i couldn't walk or even sit up......it was horrible. it took me a good 4 months to totally recover. i still have bouts of it....usually in the spring/summer time. i take a prescription called antivert for it.......most times it helps....but sometimes the only thing that works is sleeping.

it really is a scary feeling........my dr told me several things can cause it.......extreme heat, anxiety (great) and sinus or ear infections........

anways, rest.....alot and try not to get frustrated.......i would think i was all better on one day and then the next day i was back in bed.....ugh.

sometimes nasal spray helps with it..........and dramimine definietyly does if you dont have a perscription for antivert.

good luck ....feel better
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you both, wow that is scary how long it can take!!! This has really shaken me up, and now I am more afraid of "getting sick." I really don't want this to set me back...I still feel a little dizzy and I am weak from the weight loss, which I cannot afford. Anyone else experience or know someone??? I need advice!!!

I totally understand how you feel. Getting meningitis just made me terrible. I never really had any other fears until i got this. then I just started worrying about everything...it really did make me lose a lot more weight I was about 93 lbs...but you will start to get back to normal. It took me a while and Im finally back on track...no I am just working on getting rid of my phobia!!! good luck!

My allergies, when they get super bad, trigger inner ear problems that lead to vertigo and nausea. My doc has me on a constant dose of Sudafed and allergy meds to help (plus I'll be starting immunotherapy soon, since I've exhausted every allergy med on the market!). Dramamine/meclizine (sp?) is really the best to help with the vertigo. If you're still having issues, you should see an ENT do (ear nose throat) for more in depth diagnosis and discussion on how to proceed.

i agree that meclezine (generic antivert) is what helps me the most..........although dramamine is good........like i said i've deal with this for almost 30 years...........rest is very very important and try not to get too depressed........it took me several months to get over my first/bad experience that landed me in the hospital. now my episodes are much shorter.......from a few hours.........to sometimes a couple days. it is a horrible feeling i know and can be very frustrating........keep your hopes up.....you will get through this
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi, Just an update...It has been exactly 3 weeks and I am mostly better but still have a little dizziness. I have to be careful driving and still can't turn my head fast. Gosh, what a loooong time! I am slowly gaining the weight back, or trying to. This better go away completely and NEVER return!!

I'm sure it will be gone very soon! I'm glad you're feeling a little better! I've never heard of this before, but it sure sounds scary...

I've had this alot due to bad sinus and sinus infections. Its scary! The medication does help but I avoided it as much as I could beacuse it made me feel drowsy and weird too. Hope u are better now!

I had the same thing happen to me when i was about 18. Exactly how you described it. i was bad at first like you said and then i was the way you described in your last update for about a year before the dizziness was completely gone. one thing i noticed was that i could not sleep on my left side or i would wake up dizzy..i only found this out by noticing when i slept on my right side it was fine. since then (im 28 now) i have not had any episodes of dizziness but i do remember some points during the years that id sleep on the left side and have a bit of dizziness. nothing ever got as bad as when it first "hit" me. one doc told me i had labrynthitis, one said vertigo, one said he couldn't tell me for sure...anyway, i hope you keep feeling better and better! and that it doesn't come back!

My yoga teacher had the same thing last year. I don't know what your doctor was talking about, hers lasted weeks, too. It sounded terrible.

Glad your feeling better though, hope you'll be 100% soon.
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):

My doctor thought I had that too, but my referal to the ENT never went through so I never got an official diagnosis. She told me to take meclazine (dramamine non-drowsy) and it didn't help at all. It still comes and goes, but I have never v* from it, or even come close, so that's a good thing. It hardly bothers me anymore, I think it has to do with allergy season, I seem to get it the same time of year, every year.

Yes, 4077girl, one doc said it is common and they see it in the spring and fall, and with allergies...it sucks. And now I am afraid to do all the normal things, and flip my head, dance, run, etc. I don't think it will just all of a sudden come back but...well, once I am all back to normal, I will try slowly to do these things.

yes, take things slowly.......and don't be too discouraged if you have a few good days and then wake up dizzy.......it does take a long time to completely get over it.......and like i said i still have episodes a few times a year,,,,,but do not end up in the hospital like the first time.......sometimes only lasts a few hours......sometimes a few days.

try nasal spray when you get an unexpected dizziness.......i use it occasionally and it works fast......

good luck and don't be discouraged!
    how i feel about emet

Thanks so much Olschesky, and everyone else!! I was getting very discouraged and anxious, and reading about it on the internet was freaking me out with everyone's horror stories...but I feel better still and it is ALMOST gone. I have newfound respect for people living with inner ear disorders.

glad you're feeling better

I had a bad vertigo thing for years (Feb 2003 till about 2006) and it was a challenge for sure. When it first started I couldn't walk, had to hold on to walls or people or crawl around on all fours. I was n* from the motion sickness. It was a bit of a nightmare. After many many tests they never did figure out what was wrong with me. Oh well.. I still get a little dizzy sometimes but it's all better now. Dramamine and sea bands were my best friends

Wow! Thats sounds terrifying!