Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Child with Emetaphobia

I'm fourteen and have been afraid of being nauseous, throwing up, or other people throwing up. My mom always said I was just being a big baby and even now that I found recently that it's a real thing that others have to deal with too, she still thinks it's something I can just fix in a second. She won't let me order the Recovery System thing and doesn't seem to care at all about how bad I have it. I didn't know I had emetaphobia until recently but every since I was young, I would get a panic attack every time I was nauseous. I have stomach problems too so I'm nauseous every night. I sleep in a loft bed but I have a little loveseat in my room. Whenever I'm nauseous (which is normally at night) I sit on my couch with a garbage can, pepto, peppermint gum, and anything to keep my mind off my stomach. About 5 years ago, my 3 cousins stayed the night at my house. 2 of them had the stomach flu. One of them had to stay in my room with me. I had to deal with listening to both of them get sick all night long. It was the worst night of my life. I just plugged my ears and hid under the covers. My nausea has ruined every good thing in my life. Every time I sleep over at someone's house, I'm afraid one of us is going to get sick and I'm normally really sick there. Whenever I have a performance of some kind (I'm an actress) I get really really nauseous and whenever someone else doesn't feel good, I start freaking out that they're going to get sick. I'm afraid to have kids one day because I don't want to have morning sickness. No women in my family has had morning sickness but I don't want to risk it. I really want kids though. I've always wanted lots of kids. And I don't know how I could ever be a good mom with emetaphobia. When someone in a family catches something, everyone seems to get it. The mom is supposed to be the one taking care of everyone. If everyone gets the stomach flu, I'm probably going to lock myself up in my room so I don't have to deal with it. I'm so scared of what's going to happen to me. I don't like this fear. I want a way for it to go away without ordering anything since my mom won't let me. What should I do?

Default Re: Child with Emetaphobia

At 14, pregnancy should be the last thing on your mind! Who knows, by the time you're 22 and out of college, your phobia could be just a distant memory...there is the possibility you will "out grow" it, so don't stress about that now. I'm 28, and I want kids...someday. I don't think emet will keep me from having kids, since there are so many wonderful anti-emet drugs available to pregnant women: there are several women on here now that are pregnant and coping with their phobia. I try not to think much beyond the pregnancy part though- the idea of having a sick child terrifies me, but some people say that when its your own kid it's different....I can't vouch for that, any mothers have advice?

As far as your constant nauseousness, have you been to the doctor for it? A drug for anxiety could help you tons. If you get really bad attacks, they can give you some "spot relief" like valium to ease the attack. I know it's rough being young and trapped in the house with your family when they're sick. When I was young I'd bolt down the street and hide at a neighbor's house if someone in the house got sick.

Its hard to make the fear simply "go away", it takes time. Even the ERS isn't an overnight thing. If i's bad enough, you should start with seeing a psychololgist/counselor, and go from there. But the best thing right now is to learn coping strategies: that's what most (non-exposure) treatment is anyway. Yoga was a great one for me, learning how to breathe, meditate and find my "happy place". Always have your headphones near you if you're in you're room and someone is ill- they work a lot better than blocking your ears, and music is very calming. Aromatherapy helps too...some lavender oil will help work wonders. I found that if you lay in bed, light a strong candle or heat oil, and close your eyes with your headphones on, it can take you to another place, and you will relax. Helps for both when you feel sick and when you're avoiding people in your house that are.
    Peppermint gum and pepto are lifesavers: also, try ginger tea. You can find many varieties of it, or make your own fresh. Tea is calming in general, but the ginger will help settle your stomach. Peppermint tea as well. Or any of the "stomach ease" or "digestive aid" blended teas you find out there.

Default Re: Child with Emetaphobia

Thanks! Actually peppermint tea sounds really good. I'll have to try that sometime.