Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tums and v*

Question tums and v*

does anyone else get a sick, heavy feeling in their throat after taking tums or is it just my anxiety and me "imaging it"??
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

Default Re: tums and v*

i don't take tums i take maalox max tablets.....they tell you to drink a glass of water after they dissolve......but i don't know about tums.....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In one of the FAQs, it says that antacids don't help n*, they can make it worse.... Try sipping some water and chewing some gum to get rid of it.

I LOVE Tums! I've taken them for years and they have worked for everything - from a upset stomach to nausea. Sometimes Pepto works for me too but I mostly take Tums, but now since I've been prescribed anti-emetics I mostly rely on those for my stomach problems.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

yeah, I read that taking tums when you're actually n* can make you throw up. I never take them unless I have BAD heartburn....and even then they kind of suck.

Tums and other antacids are for acid indigestion, nothing else. If you take them and you don't have acid indigestion, not only will they not help, they will neutralize the acid in your stomach and make it easier for emetogenic agents to attack you. There was a study where people agreed to be infected with Norovirus. Some people who took it didn't get infected. The researchers theorized that stomach acid killed some of the Norovirus so they had those subjects take the Norovirus again, after taking antacid. This time all of the research subjects vomited.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Veeery interesting Doug...

Oh, wow! That product has a huge placebo effect with me. I would take them whenever I felt off. It's amazing, though, that it could actually make me sick. It's mystifying, the mind, to be able to believe that something that should have made me sick made me better. It's just like anti-venom and snakes.

TUMS WILL NOT CAUSE YOU TO THROW UP I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!! they might not help for nausea but they are really good for you. they are a great calcium supp and will help you out a lot actually if you are constantly nauseous. i would know

Yeah, I get that feeling when I take Tums...but I only take them for calcium purposes, 'cause I can't drink milk, etc. But yeah, they do make me feel crummy if I'm having a nauseous day.

Only for acid eflux at night or after a heavily acidic meal (too much tomato sauce) do I take Tums or the like but never had a consequesce becuase of them.

If you have noro you need an iron will to not get sick anyways. I couldn't hold back when I had noro.

In normal anxiety nausea situations and for food tummyaches (even gas) it doesn't hurt, and still helps most people.

I just don't want this to make people scared of Tums, since it's not going to make you V in 99% of situations

You may find these links helpful!

Double Post
    Last edited by asianeko; 07-27-2010 at 04:15 PM.

AHH I take tums like everyday. I think it's more of a mental thing for me though.. but I've never considered that they might be making my nausea worse...
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.

Pepto tablets work great for me.

Tums is great and has always worked for me. Nothing wrong with them at all, and I've never v* after taking them. So go for it. Honestly if you were infected with noro, you would feel waaaaaay too terrible, and would know it. But now with all this lovely new info from above. I will be afraid to take it! Thanks Doug! Haha.. No but really.. that was interesting.
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.

Stomach acid is nasty if it gets out of your stomach, but its purpose is to disinfect what you eat. A lot of us emets never vomit because our stomach acid kills anything that may hurt us. Weakening your stomach acid by taking antacid is weakening your natural antiemetic protection.

The most emet-friendly antacid is Gaviscon. It only contains a tiny bit of antacid so that it can be sold as one. The main thing it does is form a chemical barrier on top of your stomach so that acid can't splash up. It doesn't neutralize your stomach acid so emets don't have to worry that they are reducing the disinfecting power of their stomach by taking it.

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 05-28-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

noro is completely different. then its not the tums making you throw up and why is everyone saying V*? its called vomit people. emetaphobics are afraid of doing it, not saying it

some people just don't like saying it, including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by abbi View Post
    some people just don't like saying it, including myself.
    same.. especially if I'm nauseous while on here, just seeing the word makes it worse for me.

It's all in ur mind. Hearing or seeing the frickin word doesn't do anything. If someones afraid of spiders, hearing the word won't make them run and hide

Quote Originally Posted by sandbags View Post
    same.. especially if I'm nauseous while on here, just seeing the word makes it worse for me.
    and me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Btrfly8888 View Post
    It's all in ur mind. Hearing or seeing the frickin word doesn't do anything. If someones afraid of spiders, hearing the word won't make them run and hide
    Obviously it's all in my mind..

it really is. the emet isnt but seeing the word is

Btr, for many people on here seeing it typed out increases anxiety. Many of us abbreviate for their sake, though it's not required to do so. Just being considerate

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    Btr, for many people on here seeing it typed out increases anxiety. Many of us abbreviate for their sake, though it's not required to do so. Just being considerate
    And laziness. For the life of me I can't spell d* or n* correctly

Alright, if you truly believe it will cause someone to feel more nauseous, I won't spell out v*. but just letting u know, when u see v*, u know what we mean so your mind will take it in the same way. You should get the same feeling no matter whether it's spelled out or abbreviated

I hate tums. They taste so horrid. They make me gag a bit and drool. (Like pre-vomit.) Very few things do this to me.

Btrfly8888--you're right about the abbrev. of vomit. But I'm just lazy, lol. And, if I'm gonna spend time typing out words, they better be ones I like--ha-ha

Serious recommendation here. If you do not have this in your house, you really need to go get some. The stuff is called Nauzene and it is a LIFE SAVER! they are chewies and help your feel better very quickly. I never leave my house without them...ever.