Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you a Man or a Woman?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man

5 13.16%
  • Woman

33 86.84%

Question Ladies and Gentlemen

Just wondering how many men and women have emetophobia.

Default Re: Ladies and Gentlemen

I am a woman

I know it is supposedly more common in women than men, but Im curious if some men just dont say as they think they are supposed to man up??? My sisters bf has NEVER had a paracetomol cos his dad wants him to be a man, man so he endures pain... and I think women are more emotional, even if it is a stereotype x
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WOW i cant believe the results of this poll! more than 90% are women!
    Raven, thats me.

woman

My word I am vastly out numbered here. (I am a man.)

Teh, how old are you, and how long have you been an emet?

I am 21, male, and consider myself somewhat of an ex-emit. (Kind of ex.) I used to fear vomit so much I wouldn’t leave the house. I home schooled my high school years and for around 2 years would refuse to go out and do anything. I feared seeing it on TV, in real life, and even in cartoons. I feared getting it to, but not as much as seeing it. My parents forced me to start going out and I fell into a depression. I guess the sudden leap into the outside world triggered it, but mental health issues run in my family. I am adopted and my biological parents both had disorders that got them hospitalized in a mental institute. I never met them by the way. Frankly I am not that interested in my biological parents though so don’t think that bothers me. (I do wish them the best.) Anyway since I was a little boy I would run, even cry, when someone got sick. I once jumped out of a car because my bro was getting car sick… (The car was in the process of parking so don’t think it was all epic and hardcore.) I was constantly asking my parents if I would catch the throw up flu as I called it. Over time once I got depressed I started fearing less and less about vomit. (I think because I was caring less and less about myself.) I stopped eating and started getting suicidal. My parents took me to get medical help and over time I have become stable. (Even though I still haven’t learned to drive, gotten a job, gotten a girlfriend, done anything very big.) I would say I have been mostly ex-emit for around 2 or 3 years. I still fear getting sick somewhat, but seeing it does not bother me much. I have had other problems, my depression and bi-polar is not related to the phobia. I take meds and stuff and have a supporting family. I don’t really have many close friends outside my family because I haven’t met anyone. I can somewhat entertain myself though; I like to make art, program and fix computers and write. Although this probably sounds like a sad story, I am a happy person now days.

Hey i was home schooled in HS too but because the public schools around here sucked!! I was at a point where i didnt want to leave the house either. I was at the analyzing stains on the sidewalk point. After i started taking fluoxetine it went away less and less. I still do it sometimes but it doesnt rule me life like it did when it was really bad. I cant drive and never had a job either. Getting a job would be way too stressful with my paranoia. You an me are very alike. I do not have many close friends either, and even though im kinda isolated in my life i am happy.
    Raven, thats me.

Smile Re: Ladies and Gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by raven928 View Post
    Hey i was home schooled in HS too but because the public schools around here sucked!! I was at a point where i didnt want to leave the house either. I was at the analyzing stains on the sidewalk point. After i started taking fluoxetine it went away less and less. I still do it sometimes but it doesnt rule me life like it did when it was really bad. I cant drive and never had a job either. Getting a job would be way too stressful with my paranoia. You an me are very alike. I do not have many close friends either, and even though im kinda isolated in my life i am happy.
    Wow, it is neat to hear from someone with such a similar story. I also studied sidewalk spots and stuff. I still do to an extent, but I am not so fear full about it like I used to be. A good feeling to not be alone. Feel free to add me to your contacts if you want. That goes for anyone else here to. =D
    Last edited by teh folder; 06-02-2010 at 07:57 PM.

not a woman

Hi Kyle, good to see another guy! I saw your avatar / name and suspected you where a guy. =P

One more guy here! More or less ex-emet. Still have the memories of the phobia but not the anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by teh folder View Post
    I am 21, male, and consider myself somewhat of an ex-emit. (Kind of ex.) I used to ........... Although this probably sounds like a sad story, I am a happy person now days.
    Whoa you and I seem to have alot in common. I'm also adopted and never knew my biological parents.

I never was SO BAD that I wouldn't go out, but I did end up leaving the public schools and attending a small private one that was more family-oriented.

As I posted on another thread, a few of the things that helped me get over this were a good attitude, learning a good bit about how my body works, and getting a very adventurous and challenging job that kept me BUSY.

Be good!
    David

I'm a total man! (pfffft)
    Life is so worth living.