Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello all, I'm new. I'm a 22yo female living in Canada. I've been phobic every since I can remember. I've gotten better in the last few years, enough that I can go out in public places like busses, take medication without fear of side effects, and watch a tv show with someone v* in it (because I know it's fake, so i can deal with it)

That said, I'm still very scared. However, I am determined to become a paramedic. The only thing slowing me downis fear of v* (how trivial I think, but it is so huge too)

The last time I v* was about a year ago, where I got myself terribly drunk. I was mostly in a blackout throughout the whole thing, so it never helped me in feeling better about v*. Oh well. before that, I haven't v* since I was a little kid, and the last time I can remember, it was very traumatic.

ANYWAY, I'm determined to get over this phobia. The only thing I won't do is force myself to v* by purposly taking something to cause it. That seems counterproductive to me, I think I'd panic beforehand and work myself into a tizzy over everything, and then the whole experience would be very traumatic.

I read a lot of ambublace/hospital/etc books with stories in them, and a lot involve v*, but I can laugh at them because I'm not there. They are usually hilarious stories anyway.

What are some ways I can desensitize myself to v*? I don't want to just jump into my hospital and field practicums without first preparing myself a little bit. I'm alreayd in therapy (for depression, a drug addiction and general insanity) is there something i can do in therapy that would help? Is there something else out there that would help? Hypnosis? That eye movement therapy? Beating myself over the head with a 2 x 4?Edited by: kate

There is one, maybe two people on this site who are paramedics. I hope they see your post.

Welcome to the site! I hope you find what you need here, it's a great place!

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I should add that it sounds like you are well on your way to being able to do whatever it is that you want to do. You are way ahead of me as far as being able to laugh at stories, watch tv with v'ing in it, and things like that. I really commend you for going after your dreams in spite of your fear, something that I certainly didn't do. I wanted to be a doctor, a pharmacist or a veterinarian, but decided on engineer since it involves apsolutely no v'ing whatsoever. So good for you for telling your fear where to go!!![img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I'm not very sure about the desensitization part because I have already resigned myself to being a vet (hopefully) and singer, involving no v*, but it's really great that you want to go after your dream! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]I bet someone else here can help you better. Anyway, welcome to the site! I hope you have a great time, and don't hesitate to post!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Hm...i dont know about desensitizing yourself to it...my psych professors know i have it and i could ask them what they think if you like?

Since seeing it on t.v. doesn't bother you that is a huge step you could think of it like that..i dont see you having much problem..i mean..b/c if you are dealing with someone v*ing as a paramedic chances are you can't catch it, it's not like it's the stomach flu you're transporting them for you know? You could take comfort in that....i'll let you know if i think of anything else.
    Welcome! i'm fairly new as well [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer

hey kate!!! nice to meet another Kancuk Im 22 and live In NS. hope you stick around !!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I am about to graduate from college with a Forensic Science degree, and I am currently a trainee in the Private Investigation field. I too still don't know how I will react on a crime scene if there is V!!! I don't let it interfere with my dreams though, so maybe that is how I will overcome it?? I say go for your dreams! Tell yourself this phobia is not worthy of stealing your dreams from you. [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

As far as desensitization, you should start gradual, and from what I have heard, never take something to make you V, because that will only make it a more traumatic experience. Maybe take a new step every week, like look at pictures of v one week, eat a new (scary) food another week, and so on. Also you may need therapy to help with your underlying anxiety that is displaced on v instead of being dealt with.

Nice to meet you, and good luck in whatever you decide!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte

Hi!

Welcome to our little family! I'm 22, too...23 next week though!

Have you tried exposure therapy?? In the treatments section on this forum there is a link to margaret's site which has some fairly mild pictures ranging to VV graphic pictures of v* or people v*ing...it starts with cracked eggs with faces and then gradually exposes you to more graphic picture - it also lists some graphic films and stuff...might be worth a look - I can't get past the second picture yet. ALthough you do mention that you are ok with stuff like that cos you're not there...just a thought.

Anyway - welcome!

Chloe
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

There is a website that SLOWLY introduces you to pictures and eventually Sounds and movies, I know it sounds HORRIBLE but I figure if you see something enough times. You just get use to it. I will get the addy for you. You can go at your own pace if you are not comfy with looking at the next pic then don't but you do have to push your self to keep going. I started my own therapy yesterday, and more than anything i just felt kind of morbid for the rest of the day like I had been looking at bloody pics of people being slain, or something. I think it'll work for me it might work for you too.

http://massop.freehoster.nl/emetofob...group/exposure .html It's the sight that I go to. I go once a day, in the morning because I dont want to do it close to bed time, (I dont want to be dreaming about it) See, I'm not worried about me being sick, It's when others do it that gets me. I'm tired of pushing away my kids when they are sick. If I can do it so can you!!! GO for it.

welcome to our family, good luck with ur wish to become a paramedic, ull make it if thast what u really want.

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi - Welcome to the site. You will get a lot of good advice and support here. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

welcome[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Do what your heart tells you to-- even when your fears tell you not to.

You are alive....so live.