Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

is still rearing its ugly head.

I came home sick from work today with bad nausea, I haven't v'd, but at this point I have so many stomach medications that I medicate myself with compazine or phenergan before I ever get the chance, sort of cowardly, but I suppose that's just part of emet.

Just Saturday I kicked one of my fears in the butt, working cattle on my mare, Gracie (that is her and I on my icon, at one of my saddle club shows, running poles) anyway, last August (2003, not just this last one) I brought her to a friends place and thought I'd try her out on cows to see how she'd do, she was a total freak and normally I can ride through it but she got me off and them stepped on me and I got really hurt. I got really afraid of her around cows.

Then that winter I did a team sorting league (a cattle working event) on a friends horse, and got over my general fear, and found out it was actually a lot of fun. My friend moved out of state and took her horse with, so all summer I had been missing sorting. Well, last Saturday some friends of mine were going to sorting practice and said to throw Gracie in the trailer, so I brought her along. And viola, we had a WONDERFUL time, she was calm and cool all because I was more confident. I've been on a high and feel great about my/our accomplishment.

So if I can beat that, I know I can beat emet, but I'm too afraid to even try. I've been going to therapy for depression but have been afraid to bring up the emet (though I did bring up the incident with my sister v'ing on Thanksgiving with the door open so we all could hear and how anxious it made me).

Any ideas on how to bring it up to her? I mean it will sound weird saying "I know I have this because I read it on the internet" etc but maybe I should just come out and say it? She's helped me a lot with depression, no meds required, maybe she could help me with this? I don't know. Maybe I need to go to someone else. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hey Chipped Away!

First of all very good job on beating another one of your fears! Horses are frightening sometimes. I used to work at a horse camp, and did a lot of work around horses and vaulted and rode and drove (minis) and yeah they can be scary to be around sometimes. I too had to get over some fears around them. I agree that if you can get over that, then your on your way to getting over emet, you know you have the strength to.

Maybe try printing the "gut reaction" page? Ive seen it awhile back, and its very good info about emet that you can print out. I think Sage even has a sticky about emet info to give to therapists/docs. Good luck. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

What is the "gut reaction" page? i'd like to see any other emet info online..
    DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer

you could say to her that you've "researched" emet and you know all about it and everything. I know doctors dont trust most of what they hear on the net.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh