Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is this emetophobia?

3 months back, I had a terrible experience. I was having lunch with my friends when some conversation we had made me nervous, and my throat was feeling tight. The stupid thing was, I continued to put food into my mouth, and I had a feeling I was going to vomit out. Since then, it left a very deep(and kind of traumatic) impression in my mind. Now everyday, I'm afraid to go to public places or be in social situations( I managed to control this better now. ) for fear of vomiting in public, but I don't fear vomiting. Sometimes, I get a little anxious and I start coughing(gagging or choking, don't know what it's called.)Is this emetophobia or a sign of anxiety? I'm thinking of buying the Emetophobia Recovery System book, so help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Is this emetophobia?

I'm not sure
    I wish I had a definite answer for you.
    It sounds like it's possibly a form of Emetophobia but like I said I'm not to sure.
    Sorry for the lame response, but I didn't want you to feel completely alone

emetaphobia comes in many different forms from what I have seen on this forum. Welcome to the site and I hope it can help you some way.

Yeah, it's definitely some form of anxiety. And emet comes in all different forms, too.

i think its more anxiety than anything but it sounds like it could turn into emetophobia.

From my research I have read that some people, rather than being afraid of v* are afraid of v* in public. So it could be. However, you are definitely suffering from some form of anxiety,

I think that's just another form of emet. Some people are only afraid of other vomiting, some people are only afraid of themselves vomiting, some people are much more afraid of vomiting in public than at home alone, and still others are much more afraid of having to vomit alone than in the company of a trusted friend of family member.

But, on a positive note, you will probably be much easier to treat than some of the long timers who are so afraid of doing it no matter when, where or why. I would see a therapist ASAP so you can nip this silly thing in the bud!

Good Luck!

sounds a little like a minor case of a post tramatic stress disorder or an anxiety condition, maybe a severely minor case of emet.

Hi emet.1 welcome to the site.
    It sounds to me like you panicked in that moment and unfortunately the part of our brains in charge of panicking has the best memory of any part....so it "remembers" the panic and is fooling you into thinking you need to panic in other situations as well. It is a form of anxiety disorder and since vomiting is part of what you fear then it could be called emetophobia. But I imagine it's more - or different - than that.
    The good news is that all anxiety is treated the same way and what you describe is highly treatable. I think you would get a lot out of the emet recovery system....anyone would and it's not expensive.
    Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.