Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: mumps

i know this is pretty selfish of me to say becausethis is nothing compared to what chris is going thru for example...

but, my sister, is up at uni atm... and has managed to catch the mumps. shes v*ing all over the place apparnetly. my dad has foned her up and said "we'll pick u up on wednesdya or friday" ...

yay... so over christmas, chances are, im gnan ahv the mumps, and gnna be v*ing all over the place as well!!!

seriously... shes gnna be contagious for ages yet...i'm gnna catch it, i KNOW i am. my PARENTS know we all are.

ARGGGGH.

bleh

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aww Jen as if you haven't already had enough illnesses of your own of late. Didn't realise mumps caused v'ing. I had it when I was a kid and I didn't v. Probably affects adults ina different way. I don't know much about how contagious she is and for how long she will be contagious. I can understand your concerns and I will keep my fingers crossed that you will all be okay and that you won't catch it. By the way you are not selfish for thinking like this. I would be the same. We all would. This is what us emets do. Keep us posted.

you don't get an immunization shot for mumps when you are a baby there? we do in the states. i didn't think that anyone even got that any more. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

wish you luck in not getting it!

elizabeth

yes we do get a shot for it over it. its the mmr injection (measles, mumps and rubella) tbh though, us emets dont seem to be effected by disease like other people. Over people aways tend to get the illness worse, for example, everyone i work with had the norwalk virus, i had it and only had a bit of stomach pain. dont worry too much.

Hi

I have mumps at the moment (have been unwell about 2 weeks now) and havent been sick once. Have you had your MMR jab? If you have one you are 90% protected and if u have had 2 you are 99% protected. Your sister, like me might just be one of the unlucky 10 or 1% so you may not catch it. Also, you are only contagious a week before and a week after the swelling starts so she may not even be contagious when she gets home. Apparently mumps is less contagious than chickenpox.

I have been in extremely close contact with my boyfriend since i got ill and beforehand as was contagiuos before i knew i had it. It has been about the right incubation that if he was going to get it he probably would have by now and he is showing absolutely no signs.

I have looked on a number of webistes about the symptoms of mumps and none of them have listedv as a common symptom, so maybe it has affected your sister slightly differently.

Also, I am at uni too, and i know that i am so run down when im away from home that i am prone to infection, what with not eating properly, not sleeping properly and stress over work.

Try not to worry too much, if you have not had your MMR it may be worth arranging one with your doctor before you sister comes home, or if you have only had one have a top up, thats what i shall be doing as soon as I get well again.

I hope this has put your mind at rest a little

Nicki xx

you should have had the mumps vaccine when you were
    younger. I had mumps when i was little and although it was
    painful i was never sick with it. Hope you are ok though </font>
    Rachel
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing is good exercise, it\'s like jogging on the inside!!!

funny thing is.. my sister had her immunisation gab thing re-boosted about a week before she got it. helpful, eh??

so yes i have had it, when i was a baby... but i certainly will not rely on that!

thansk nicki for saying u hvent v*ed since uv had the mumps... i worked out what it was... my sister was drinking milk the whole time and apparntly ur not supposed to drink diary products with the mumps else it wil make u sick!! mkes sense ...

so thanks agen people.

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Hey Jen

u say she got it abt a week after the booster - well cld it poss be that the booster has re-triggered...?

Correct me someone - but im sure that sometimes when u have a jab or something like that they put a little bit of the bug in to get ur immune system up for that illness/disease...so cld it be COZ of the jab...

or am i really talking c**p...?
    [img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]
    ems xx

Hi

I don't think that MMR is a live vaccine so i dont think you can get it from the injection, don't quote me on that though. When you get mumps it takes two to three weeks for symptoms to appear, so it may be that she already had it when she had the injection. If you have the injection before you come into contact with her then i would have thought you would be ok, im not expert though and am probably wrong!

Hmm this is a bit confusing, I get mump immunization regularly?